Saturday, June 4, 2011

Morning News

Posted by on Sat, Jun 4, 2011 at 10:34 AM

Happy Saturday, Slog. It's actually a gorgeous day, which, if I lived in some pre-scientific time, I would probably attribute to the pleasant and forgiving temperament of an all-knowing deity or deities. But, being as how I'm alive right now, I just figure it's down to air pressure and shit like that.

Today's headlines:

al-Qaeda operative: killed by a drone strike in Pakistan. Clearly Pakistan has its shit together.

Syrian protesters: early today, hundreds of thousands turned out to mourn around 60 fellow protesters who were killed by paramilitary forces; Bashar al-Assad stands for progress, clearly.

Dickish Yemeni dictators: wounded, but still in Yemen. Ali Abdullah Saleh, the president-for-life of Yemen, recently reneged on a deal to step down from power and exacerbated an already violent and destabilizing situation, which resulted in an armed rebel raid on his compound. Yemen is extremely poor, extremely young, extremely unemployed, and extremely extreme in some sections. Yemen has the highest guns per person ratio in the world... after the United States.

South Dakotans: soon to be victims of flooding from the Missouri River. Some old dude and some old governor are pissed about that, apparently.

Prosecution of John Edwards: fraught with difficulties legal and practical. I quote: "Two crucial witnesses are dead. Another is 100 years old. A fourth was recently held in contempt of court." Good job, DOJ. Good Job. Your tax dollars at work.

Groupon: doing an IPO. Valued at $30 billion. Nobody knows why. Does anyone use Groupon? I've never used Groupon. The kids, with their Internets.

The viaduct: coming down six months earlier than initially planned, according to Governor Gregoire's decision.

Get off your ass and dance today.

Baconcat 1
Your name is Peter Johnson.

*snicker*

Also, not the whole viaduct is coming down, just the southern portion.
Posted by Baconcat on June 4, 2011 at 10:37 AM · Report this
scary tyler moore 2
is yer brother's name Dick? harf harf harf...
Posted by scary tyler moore http://pushymcshove.blogspot.com/ on June 4, 2011 at 10:45 AM · Report this
dnt trust me 3
Peter P. (PeePee) Johnson -giggle-

hey, formality goes a long way, read up on G. Gordon Liddy.
Posted by dnt trust me on June 4, 2011 at 10:57 AM · Report this
Lose-Lose 4
Welcome, Mr Johnson,

I have no snarky greetings for you. (Really? Laughing at "Johnson"? What next, Smith? Brown? Nguyen?)

I do, however, have a clarification question: this viaduct of which you post that Gov Gregoire announced is coming down "six months earlier than initially planned". Is that six months before the INITIAL date of some time in 2012, of six months before the second initial demolition date of 2016 (after the DBT is dug)?

Thanks, and welcome again!
Posted by Lose-Lose on June 4, 2011 at 11:07 AM · Report this
Peter Johnson.
Posted by heh heh on June 4, 2011 at 11:09 AM · Report this
Canadian Nurse 6
Anyone who buys Groupon stock is insane. It's costing them $1.43 to make $1 and they have no announced plan about how they're going to stop bleeding out cash. If you can bring in $644M in a year and still lose money, I don't know why anyone should trust you to change.
Posted by Canadian Nurse on June 4, 2011 at 11:47 AM · Report this
Scalpel 7
I've been using Groupon pretty heavily, actually. The key is to setup an RSS feed that alerts you when new deals hit, and then just wait for stuff that sounds good. My wife and I eat out a lot, so we often buy Groupons for places we haven't tried yet that sound good.
Posted by Scalpel on June 4, 2011 at 11:53 AM · Report this
laterite 8
Groupon is the Internet equivalent of a Val-Pak mailer.
Posted by laterite on June 4, 2011 at 11:59 AM · Report this
thisbarisover 9
Did they find Louis the dog??
Posted by thisbarisover on June 4, 2011 at 12:31 PM · Report this
Camembert 10
Are Groupon those annoying bastards who keep trying to send me to macaroon shops in Buenos Aires? I'd burn their office down if I were less stable & more proactive.
Posted by Camembert on June 4, 2011 at 3:15 PM · Report this
Canadian Nurse 11
I don't dislike Groupon or LivingSocial. I've used both occasionally. But, if Groupon hasn't figured out how to be solvent yet, they aren't going to be solvent anytime soon.
Posted by Canadian Nurse on June 4, 2011 at 3:24 PM · Report this
Karlheinz Arschbomber 12
I've used Groupon a few times. It is worthless as a business, there is no real scaling proposition. They put deals together by hand, with salespeople cold-calling and pitching businesses. And they can easily be displaced. On the positive side, I never knew there were so many facial spas and dermal rejuvenation services in our vibrant economy.
Posted by Karlheinz Arschbomber http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arschbombe on June 4, 2011 at 3:50 PM · Report this
Vince 13
I think one morning we're going to wake up and find that Gregoire has taken a wrecking ball to the viaduct in the middle of the night, all by her little old self.
Posted by Vince on June 4, 2011 at 5:43 PM · Report this
DeepFriedBananaBits 14
@ 13 I could see her wearing a leather dominatrix outfit while doing that.

I wish Gregoire were coming or stepping down six months earlier than initially planned.
Posted by DeepFriedBananaBits on June 4, 2011 at 6:40 PM · Report this
Jenny from the Block 15
@4 Only if they're synonymous with wiener.
Posted by Jenny from the Block on June 5, 2011 at 7:59 AM · Report this