Monday, May 2, 2011

Weird Rumor of the Day: Kucinich Interested in Running for Congress in WA-10

Posted by on Mon, May 2, 2011 at 1:30 PM

I'm posting this rumor mainly because it comes from someone with a long track-record in, and deep knowledge of, Washington State politics.

This person notes the recent time Dennis Kucinich has been spending in Washington State, notes that Kucinich has likely been redistricted out of a job in Ohio, and reminds that this state has a brand new district opening up in 2012.

The rumor is that Kucinich may be lining up a run for WA-10. It's a crazy rumor. But, my source adds: "He's just crazy enough to do it."

That would be super fun. I would embrace that carpetbagger so hard.
Posted by gloomy gus on May 2, 2011 at 1:34 PM · Report this
Vince 2
Oh no! Nooooooo! Please, somebody tell this asshole to stay in his midwest shithole!
Posted by Vince on May 2, 2011 at 1:35 PM · Report this
Some Old Nobodaddy Logged In 3
He's certainly been seen around in the area in the past few weeks.

And I wouldn't worry, Vince-- I doubt the new district will be anywhere near King Co.
Posted by Some Old Nobodaddy Logged In on May 2, 2011 at 1:46 PM · Report this
Fnarf 4
@1, it's funny, because he would be a "carpetbagger", even though most people in his new district moved here about ten minutes ago themselves. I think he'd have trouble winning in the new Tenth, though.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on May 2, 2011 at 1:46 PM · Report this
bugwitch 5
Well, sheesh...I move from WA to OH and now he's leaving for my old home?
Posted by bugwitch on May 2, 2011 at 2:00 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 6
What @1 said.

After the NDP sweeps all the provinces in Canada tonite in their federal elections, my guess is a lot of people up there would drive down here to help him out.

Socialism ftw!
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on May 2, 2011 at 2:03 PM · Report this
@4, and as soon as he started making speeches about life here on "the Puget Sound", you'd fill the air with epithets and imprecations.
Posted by gloomy gus on May 2, 2011 at 2:05 PM · Report this
I would heartily welcome his wife to our state.

Posted by butterw on May 2, 2011 at 2:08 PM · Report this
Don't forget that Inslee is running for Governor, so the 1st district will also be open.
Posted by Brian2 on May 2, 2011 at 2:38 PM · Report this
I met him at yesterday's May Day rally, and encouraged him to run for Inslee's seat. He is just about the nicest guy you could hope to meet. I would love to see him representing a Washington district. Too bad McDermott isn't retiring, then I could actually vote for him. He is one of the few good ones in DC.
Posted by Pol Pot on May 2, 2011 at 2:41 PM · Report this
Geni 11
If he moved into the 7th, I think he'd win it in a walk. In 2004, that district sent mostly Kucinich delegates to the National convention.
Posted by Geni on May 2, 2011 at 3:27 PM · Report this
Geni 12
(and when I got to meet him there, he was traveling around with James Cromwell, the actor, who is approximately 9 feet tall. The two of them together looked quite peculiar. Nice men, though.)
Posted by Geni on May 2, 2011 at 3:28 PM · Report this
i for one welcome our leprechaun overlord.
Posted by Valkyrie on May 2, 2011 at 3:42 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 14
I for one welcome our Leprechaun Overlord's wife.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on May 2, 2011 at 4:14 PM · Report this
We've already got "Baghdad" Jim McDermott, we've done our share.
Posted by Westside forever on May 2, 2011 at 4:44 PM · Report this
Reverse Polarity 16
Kucinich is about as far left as you can get and still call himself a democrat. He could possibly get elected in someplace like the 7th District if Jim McDermott ever decided to retire. But there is no way Kucinich can win any kind of moderate or swing district (as the new 10th is likely to be), particularly when the competition can label him as a carpetbagger.
Posted by Reverse Polarity on May 2, 2011 at 4:56 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 17
Kucinich would be a Conservative in Canada, mind you.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on May 2, 2011 at 6:08 PM · Report this
Fnarf 18
@6, is this one of those things you "prescient" about? NDP landslide, you say?

Bzzt. Conservatives have a majority government in Canada. You are wrong. Again.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on May 2, 2011 at 8:34 PM · Report this
seandr 19
You know what that is? Weird, that's what that is.
Posted by seandr on May 2, 2011 at 10:29 PM · Report this