Wednesday, April 13, 2011

City Votes to Allow Three-Day Capitol Hill Block Party to Return, Despite Neighbor Objections

Posted by on Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 2:14 PM

Today, the city officials voted to allow the Capitol Hill Block Party to continue running for three glorious, beer-drenched, music-infused days, despite some neighbor's objections that the three-day event was "too disruptive for businesses."

"We're super happy that the community supports the event and all three days," said Block Party producer Dave Meinert when reached by phone. At the meeting, Meinert and his colleagues were praised by the city's special events committee for their extensive public outreach.

The Block Party is scheduled for July 22-24. Ticket sales and breaking band bookings will be announced on Line Out in the coming weeks.

And the youths rejoiced. And it was Good.
  • Lauren Max via Flickr
  • And the youths rejoiced. And it was Good.

Kinison 1
I live 4 blocks from this and I avoid going anywhere near it while it happens, so I have no idea what really goes on and honestly dont care.

When Gay Pride parades would be conducted on Broadway, having lived behind Dicks Drive in, would witness (from my window) a dozen people using they alleyway as a urinal. Im sure a number of people do this for the block party, but I cannot confirm.
Posted by Kinison http://www.holgatehawks.com on April 13, 2011 at 3:32 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 2
@1 pretty much the same as the alleyway, but in the street.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on April 13, 2011 at 4:01 PM · Report this
Simone 3
Awesome. Though CHBP could use more room for the crowds and less for the beer gates.
Posted by Simone on April 13, 2011 at 4:07 PM · Report this
Music-1 NIMBY-0
Posted by B-LO on April 13, 2011 at 4:14 PM · Report this
I'm 85 Years Old 5
Again, this city council can't do anything right.
Posted by I'm 85 Years Old on April 13, 2011 at 4:17 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 6
@5 you got that right.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on April 13, 2011 at 4:29 PM · Report this
@5, the council didn't decide this, the city's Special Events Committee did. Here, maybe a nice warm thorough piece of coverage from Capitol Hill Seattle will help:
Posted by gloomy gus on April 13, 2011 at 4:37 PM · Report this
judgmentalist 8
I <3 the Hill during into a giant frat party. Can. Not. Wait.

(that was sarcasm -- i feel like the block party has lost its magic and it's not just because iv'e gotten old and jaded.)
Posted by judgmentalist on April 13, 2011 at 8:08 PM · Report this
judgmentalist 9
"turning into" dude... copyediting?
Posted by judgmentalist on April 13, 2011 at 8:13 PM · Report this
blah,blah.....should be free......blah, blah......too many meat heads and frat boys. All you newbies on the Hill complain too damn much.
Posted by reaganyouth on April 13, 2011 at 8:50 PM · Report this
My issue is how completely oversold the whole event is... last year I went in for MGMT, and you couldn't move clear back to Nuemo's. Nevermind trying to get another beer- I can't imagine how anyone up front could have left to go to the bathroom.

Most ironic thing though? The people standing outside in the Shell parking lot had the best seats in the house and they didn't cost a dime.
Posted by UNPAID COMMENTER on April 13, 2011 at 10:43 PM · Report this
Not a fan of that mess. I'll avoid the Hill that weekend.
Posted by brokn2pieces on April 13, 2011 at 11:02 PM · Report this
I'm with #8. (and I've lived on the Hill for fifteen years)

Have fun, I'll be staying away from it.
Posted by Actionsquid on April 14, 2011 at 10:31 AM · Report this