Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Giant Rabbit Had No Enemies, Lived American Dream

Posted by on Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 10:56 AM

Living the dream.
  • Chris Blakeley via Flickr
  • Living the dream.
It's Tuesday, which means our office is busy printing out a newspaper free pillows for the homeless. Tuesdays are frantic. Today, a friend sent me this story of a newly discovered 26-pound rabbit that lived peacefully on the island of Minorca, in the Mediterranean sea, five million years ago. On the island it had no enemies. Over time, it grew contentedly large and lazy, even losing its ability to hop:

When the seawater returned and Minorca returned to its island status, the rabbit found itself with no predators. Over time, it grew to become 10 times the size of its now-extinct mainland cousin. Other inhabitants of the island at the time included a bat, a large dormouse and a giant tortoise.

With no need for defense, the rabbit lost visual and hearing acuity. Its eye socket reduced in size over time, as did its ears.

On Tuesdays, I usually fantasize about the day I can successfully retire someplace nice and affordable, like my mother's basement, and live out a sexless existence filled with pudding pops and daytime talk shows. Now I will fantasize about this rabbit.

1 Comment Pulled (Spam) Comment Policy
Disappointed with the drawing—it just looks like a goddamn kangaroo. Going back to mind-picture now. SO SOFT AND BLIND!
Posted by Bethany Jean Clement on March 22, 2011 at 12:34 PM · Report this
yelahneb 3
Now I will fantasize about being those pudding pops.
Posted by yelahneb http://www.strangebutharmless.com on March 22, 2011 at 1:30 PM · Report this
eclexia 4
I want to eat a 26-lb rabbit very badly. I can just imagine my teeth separating the freshly-grilled flesh from those useless thigh bones. Or maybe a spicy herb stew.
Posted by eclexia on March 22, 2011 at 2:49 PM · Report this
Fish Wrench Asteroid 5
It's like Idiocracy for lagomorphs.
Posted by Fish Wrench Asteroid on March 22, 2011 at 3:16 PM · Report this
How is it spam when I am only promoting what THE PICTURE IS THAT YOU POSTED!? How about this: Hey look! That picture is of Jasper McCann! And it is just in time for... *trumpet music*--- Lily Verlaine & Jasper McCann Present "Through The Looking Glass: The Burlesque Alice In Wonderland", featuring Seattle's burlesque superstars! http://www.thetripledoor.net for tix & details

Posted by okayokay on March 22, 2011 at 4:41 PM · Report this