Wednesday, March 2, 2011

iPad 2

Posted by on Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 11:36 AM

Those freedom-hating maniacs at Apple have announced the next generation of the iPad this morning. It's called.. wait for it.. iPad 2.

It's thinner, faster, and lighter than the first-generation iPad, has front- and rear-facing cameras, HDMI video out, some kind of weird magnetic cover accessory, and will sport the next version of iOS - 4.3 The new software features updates to their AirPlay system, which will now allow you to stream video to an AppleTV and more importantly will allow third-party apps to send their video as well. iOS 4.3 also adds "iTunes Home Sharing," which lets you stream media from iTunes on your computer to your iOS devices directly.

The new iPads will be the same price, from $499 to $829 depending on capacity and whether its WiFi only or 3G capable, and ship next Friday.

More detail from the press event here.

So that's the press release. My take is that this is a pretty strong move by Apple. There will be lots of tablets this year, but Apple has a huge head start and the new version catches up with the new tablets from Motorola and others in most areas. Of course, Apple is evil and mean and recently slapped your mother in the face, but they'll still sell a ton of these.

Geni 1
Thinner! Lighter! More Absorbent! The New Improved iPad With Wings!
Posted by Geni on March 2, 2011 at 11:44 AM · Report this
MirrorMan 2
I was a little upset with the slapping part, but I talked to my Mom and she said she was fine with it and get her the damn thing, already.
Posted by MirrorMan on March 2, 2011 at 11:50 AM · Report this
Kinison 3
Nobody cares. I remember reading a post on Reddit about some student at a high school where all the computers and text books were replaced with iPads. They bought a bunch of online learning materials, but almost all of it were Flash or Java based, which the iPad refuses to support, HTML5 materials dont exist because its going to be years before that standard is adopted. Most students use it to surf and goof off. iPad2 changes none of that, they really need to support existing software if you want to extend its ability as a learning tool.

Also, tablets in general are a waste of money. Until you can put both a tablet and PC side by side for web browsing and you cant tell which is the tablet and which is the desktop PC when surfing sites, thats when its time to buy a tablet.
Posted by Kinison http://www.holgatehawks.com on March 2, 2011 at 12:01 PM · Report this
@3 Nobody cares.... uh. really? how many billions of dollars has the ipad already made?
Posted by derp derp derp derrrrrrrr on March 2, 2011 at 12:05 PM · Report this
Topping off the good news it will be available in white as well as black.
Posted by ratcityreprobate on March 2, 2011 at 12:08 PM · Report this
@3, I've only had an iPad since our company Christmas party, but in all my web surfing on it, I've yet to run into any debilitating problems due to a lack of Flash on the platform. If anything, the iPad probably means the end of Flash.
Posted by Peter F on March 2, 2011 at 12:15 PM · Report this
Fnarf 7
Uh, thanks all the same, but I'll be getting my iPad news directly from the source: Will in Seattle.

Will it suck my cock, Will?
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on March 2, 2011 at 12:16 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 8
@7 yes it will. it has two cores and two cameras and the HDMI out should be big enough for YOU, Fnarf.

Not for me, but you'd need a massive pipe for that.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on March 2, 2011 at 12:18 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 9
@5 there is a special Cherry Red version but it is not commercially available. Expect to be able to get that one when the iPad3 ships in its 3D glory for Xmas 2011 (Thanksgiving 2011 for the wireless 3D version).

Yes, I said 3D. Not 3G (not that this is not an issue in the US)
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on March 2, 2011 at 12:21 PM · Report this
@3: I agree. Personally, I think the whole Internet thing is a fad. Have you ever tried to use a card catalog on the Internet? It's impossible. You can try to flip your monitor forward and back, but there's never another one behind it with the next card. Until internet thingies can be used side by side with card catalogs and you can't tell the difference, the whole thing is useless.
Posted by also on March 2, 2011 at 12:44 PM · Report this
Kinison 11
@4, sorry, but alot of people buy Justin Bieber CDs or digital singles, that must mean he should sing at next years Super Bowl? Millions of Blu-Ray players sold, nobody cares about that format, its actually dying in favor of direct downloads. I suppose the millions of people who voted in favor of Californias prop8 mean all states should follow through on their own bans? GW Bush got re-elected, millions of votes, that must mean he was a super popular guy right? Lets put him on Dancing with the Stars!

Basically what im saying is that, sell a million, make a billion, doesnt really matter. Its basically a dumb device marketed to dumb people who dont know any better. It looks cool and thats the main reason people are buying it.

I got a 10" Widescreen Android Tablet, single core 1ghz cpu, 512mb ram, 2 gig space, with HDMI, SD slots, USB slots, wifi, 10/100 RJ-45, web cam, etc. Do I think its a great device? Oh hell no. Am I glad I only paid 200$ for it at a Hong Kong import site? Yes.

Buying a tablet, right now, is a waste of money. Trust me. It needs to mature a bit more.
Posted by Kinison http://www.holgatehawks.com on March 2, 2011 at 12:50 PM · Report this
warreno 12
@11: How's that virus dump of 21 programs in the "open" Android Marketplace grabbing you?

The walled garden Apple's set up is what makes their phones and pads so hugely popular, and not just with "dumb people who dont [sic] know any better", but with enterprise-level IT departments. iOS is hard to break, but hugely programmable. This makes it very, very attractive to both developers and users, and makes it very simple to administrate as well. The simplicity of the UI is deceptive; iOS is all UNIX under the hood (hence its stability).

That's fine, but not something I really need to hook into now. I went through a phase where I wanted to tweak and twiddle with my OS, but that ended before Red Hat was even a gleam in anyone's eye (my first Lin install was Slackware on a 486). I outgrew my need-to-tinker stage quite some time ago.

Today, I just want a machine that I can trust to take care of 80% of my needs, quietly and without fuss, and an OS that is reasonably robust and gets the hell out of my way and lets me work. Since a lot of what I do involves writing, it turns out that a pad works well for me. I don't need the full hardware commitment of a netbook, and I love the hell out of the 10+ hours I get from the battery.

I can't say I speak for most users of iPads or iPhones, but I'm proximally certain that you don't have any actual idea what they want, what they like, or why they find iOS to be so compelling.

You're free to dislike pads and phones and tablets as much as you wish, of course, but to suggest that people who use these devices are somehow children - or stupid - is to cross the line into unjustifiably tendentious arrogance. It says far more about you than it does about the people you criticize.
More...
Posted by warreno http://www.nightwares.com on March 2, 2011 at 1:07 PM · Report this
What @12 said...
Posted by bigyaz on March 2, 2011 at 1:28 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 14
@12 the iPad works now for almost everyone except bleeding edge geeks who like to whine.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on March 2, 2011 at 2:17 PM · Report this
GlamB0t 15
Also what @12 said and while we own an iPad, we will be getting an iPad2 in white for the kitchen.

Yes, I'm spoiled. Hate allllllll you want.
Posted by GlamB0t on March 2, 2011 at 2:20 PM · Report this
Free Lunch 16
I hope Apple catches up to Android on the keyboard front. How much longer will it take before IOS lets developers offer alternate keyboards? I'm not a fanboy of either platform, but I type three times as fast with fewer errors on my Android phone (using the SwiftKey keyboard) than I do on the my iPad.
Posted by Free Lunch on March 2, 2011 at 8:16 PM · Report this
GlamB0t 17
also: THE IPAD IS NOT AND HAS NEVER MEANT TO BE A TABLET! If it was it would be an iTablet. But it's not, it's an iPad. Apple made something different.

If you call it that, you have no idea what you're talking about and shouldn't write posts about technology.

Jesus Fucking Christ.
Posted by GlamB0t on March 2, 2011 at 10:13 PM · Report this
watchout5 18
You forgot about the side-dish of genocide in the congo and suicides in chinese factories. Isn't Apple a grand company?
Posted by watchout5 http://www.overclockeddrama.com on March 2, 2011 at 11:35 PM · Report this
Ipad2 four features:
1) speed: A5 processor, ipad speed kepi is twice the nine times, graphics, standby time a month
2) ipad2 ultra-thin: 8.8 mm. Ipad is 134 mm
3) weight:
4) new iso4.3 make Internet speed increase quickly, can also with other ipad, iphone4 video sharing pictures, the Mac, etc
Posted by feelys on May 4, 2011 at 7:28 PM · Report this