Friday, February 25, 2011

Huckabee Bears False Witness Against Gay Families

Posted by on Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 11:09 AM

Mike Huckabee on gay parents:

"I believe that we're in denial about potential problems as we see more and more homosexual couples raising families. Essentially, these are experiments to see how well children will fare in such same-sex households. It will be years before we know whether or not our little guinea pigs turn out to be good at marriage and parenthood."

You know... my boyfriend and I aren't perfect, and our son isn't perfect. And while he isn't married or parenting yet himself—he's a little young for that—so far our "little guinea pig" hasn't tortured any dogs to death, Mike.

And if any of John King's producers are out there reading this: If King was going to ask Huckabee about this... shouldn't he have been prepared to confront Huckabee with, like, the facts about gay families? You know, the freakin' science that gives the lie to Huckabee's disingenuous, hypocritical concern trolling on the subject?

Mike Huckabee doesn't care about kids with gay parents. Huckabee hates gay people—which is why he lies about us. Why on earth is CNN helping a Fox News employee peddle lies and sell books?

Ironic. My best friend growing up was raised by lesbians. He's now married with a kid. I was raised by a divorced hetro couple and I struggle with my romantic relationships.
Posted by random reader on February 25, 2011 at 11:13 AM · Report this
Well done, you!
Posted by gloomy gus on February 25, 2011 at 11:17 AM · Report this
Calling innocent children "little guinea pigs" must be a Christian value.

Mike Huckabee is a disgusting twat.
Posted by CommonKnowledge on February 25, 2011 at 11:22 AM · Report this
Canuck 4
Some thoughts:
1. Morning, gus!

2. I'm thinking of that picture of the Huckabees, and their two sons in the striped shirts, and thinking rude thoughts...

3. Your son isn't parenting yet
*that you know of*...... :)
Posted by Canuck on February 25, 2011 at 11:24 AM · Report this
despicable me 5
I really "try" not to make negative comments, I really do, but this makes me nuts. So, I admit I really HATE these people sometimes. Who made them the moral majority over anyone elses lives but their own? It sure seems to me that they all have an awful lot of house cleaning to do before they try to use that white glove at my house.
Posted by despicable me on February 25, 2011 at 11:26 AM · Report this
very bad homo 6
I was raised by bisexuals, and I'm not *that* messed up.
Posted by very bad homo on February 25, 2011 at 11:30 AM · Report this
Someone should tell Huckabee and all his ilk that people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.
Posted by tigntink on February 25, 2011 at 11:30 AM · Report this
Hawke 8
@6 but you are a Very Bad Homo!

Uh, wasn't a longitudinal study just released that showed that children raised in lesbian households fair no worse and even fare better in some categories?
Posted by Hawke http://facebook.com/thehawke on February 25, 2011 at 11:32 AM · Report this
shw3nn 9
Essentially, all families are experiments to see how well children will fare in those exact circumstances.

Now that technology is advancing at some crazy, exponential rate, every years starts a new experiment on how kids end up who grow up with this or that tech.

What worries me is that this damned Yo Gabba Gabba experiment has no control group? There will be no way to analyze the data!
Posted by shw3nn on February 25, 2011 at 11:35 AM · Report this
um... it's not as if the heterosexuals are doing stellar work with their own kids! Divorce, abuse, and neglect are everywhere, and for most young humans on the planet, regardless of the sexual orientation of their parents, life is a struggle from Day 1! Besides, the religious fanatics have had their turn with these guinea pigs - brainwashing their little minds like crazy and infusing them with irrational terror - so let the "homosexual families" have their chance! My guess is that they'll be at least as good as the heteros, who aren't a tough act to follow, let's face it.
Posted by ju99 on February 25, 2011 at 11:37 AM · Report this
Hey, Canuck - good morning - trust last night's Vancouver gadding about in your new Fluevogs was a delight.
Posted by gloomy gus on February 25, 2011 at 11:46 AM · Report this
Since when is raising kids to be good at marriage and parenthood the ultimate goal? I have kids and my hope for them is that they grow up to be good people who treat others well, and that whatever they choose to do in life they are happy and fulfilled.
Posted by sick of Huckabee on February 25, 2011 at 11:59 AM · Report this
Canuck 13
Tapas bar on Davie, gus, managed to stumble there and back in 4" heels, doh, very taxing! Drag show tonight, woot!
Posted by Canuck on February 25, 2011 at 12:02 PM · Report this
Normal Adjacent 14
He's also downgrading animal metaphors for the kids of gay people. When he talked about this in April, he said "Children are not puppies. This is not a time to see if we can experiment and find out, how does this work?" (Then tried to black ball the student journalist interviewing him and was SHUT DOWN.) What happened? Shifting from Carnivore down to Rodents. Is Mike trying to say that having gay parents causes them to devolve?
Posted by Normal Adjacent on February 25, 2011 at 12:04 PM · Report this
@9 I came here to say the same thing. And parental sexuality aside, good parents sometimes end up raising horrible people, just like a lot of perfectly upstanding adults are the products of terrible childhoods. Good parenting goes a long way of course, but for every example of a twisted person who happens to have been raised by gay parents, I'd bet dollars to donuts there are a dozen more assholes who were raised by "normal" parents, whatever that means.

I'm really starting to think Huckabee needs a google problem of his own....
Posted by absurdfiction on February 25, 2011 at 12:10 PM · Report this
Joe Szilagyi 16
As backwards shit keeps rolling out of Mike's mouth, I think the material from felching would be a called a huckabee, surely? /santorum rimshot
Posted by Joe Szilagyi http://twitter.com/joeszi on February 25, 2011 at 12:11 PM · Report this
Vince 17
Good questions, all. I know CNN thinks the best way to handle these guys is to let them hang themselves with their own noose. But that takes asking them the right questions.
Posted by Vince on February 25, 2011 at 12:17 PM · Report this
BEG 18
Huckabee is a vile POS.
Posted by BEG http://twitter.com/#!/browneyedgirl65 on February 25, 2011 at 12:25 PM · Report this
OuterCow 19
Even Atrus and Catherine raised Sirrus and Achenar. All parents can do is do their best and hope.
Posted by OuterCow on February 25, 2011 at 12:25 PM · Report this
I think Huckabee speaks with a certain degree of authority when it comes to bad parenting.
Posted by becoom on February 25, 2011 at 12:39 PM · Report this
KetchupSoldier 21
@15 I think EVERY anti-gay politician could use a Google problem. At least it'll help us all laugh a little when the future seems grim.
Posted by KetchupSoldier http://idealisto.blogspot.com on February 25, 2011 at 12:40 PM · Report this
kim in portland 22
Huckabee wants to shoot himself in the foot. It is his choice, his statement is foolish to me and it only reminds me that his name is linked to the tragedy in Tacoma.

And, I'll say this too. I wish you wouldn't let others define your relationship. Last we heard you have a marriage certificate and you are married. I think you have the right to use the word 'husband'. Maybe, I'm a fool, but I think that part of chipping away the wall of marriage inequality is done by letting in the light. Anyway, I wish you would consistently use the word 'husband', Dan. The evolution of the English language and society needs more than Merriam-Webster adding same-sex to the definition, it needs concrete everyday usage. The power is your's, especially as a writer. Just my $0.02, you are welcome to ignore it.
Posted by kim in portland http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/11/fast-paced_video_provides_a_fu.html on February 25, 2011 at 12:56 PM · Report this
kim in portland 23
Rewind:

Merriam-Webster adding the word same-sex to the definition of marriage...
Posted by kim in portland http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/11/fast-paced_video_provides_a_fu.html on February 25, 2011 at 12:58 PM · Report this
keshmeshi 24
Fuckabee.
Posted by keshmeshi on February 25, 2011 at 1:03 PM · Report this
mr. herriman 25
OuterCow, you're obsessed. :-)

And yes, John King/CNN absolutely should call him out, challenge him with facts. Or at the very least not give him a platform. Fuckabee, indeed.
Posted by mr. herriman on February 25, 2011 at 1:15 PM · Report this
treacle 26
I've been told anecdotally that teachers find the children of gays and lesbians to achieve significantly better in school than their peers of hetero families.

The reason given is that these children are very wanted children (via the struggle L/G parents undergo to have kids), and the extra love goes a long way to helping them grow up to be confident people with strong self-esteem.

Also, I will guess that these children have more "familial" adults around them regularly. And I am sure that children living in multi-adult environments grow to be strong people from that alone.

I've seen that to be true myself.
Posted by treacle on February 25, 2011 at 1:17 PM · Report this
OuterCow 27
I have never truly left the world of Myst.
Posted by OuterCow on February 25, 2011 at 1:48 PM · Report this
Huckabee is one of the worst of the worst. He uses that 'aw-shucks' tone of voice and attitude to say the most vile things. I do not understand why CNN & other news outlets let this kind of thing go unchecked.

@22 Kim, you're right but I'd add onto this that all same-sex couples should refer to their partner as their 'husband' or 'wife' (quotes added only for emphasis :) ) regardless of whether the state they live in sanctions same-sex marriage.
Posted by capricorn44 on February 25, 2011 at 1:48 PM · Report this
@ 28 Kinda like Dan White.
Posted by okayokay on February 25, 2011 at 2:14 PM · Report this
mr. herriman 30
@ 27 HA! I should have read the names more carefully! I saw the name Catherine and just assumed you were still talking about The History of Rome :-)

Myst is a video game, right?
Posted by mr. herriman on February 25, 2011 at 2:20 PM · Report this
venomlash 31
@14:
>implying that Huckabee believes in evolution
Posted by venomlash on February 25, 2011 at 2:29 PM · Report this
Fnarf 32
John King is a dirtbag. The only reason he has a job is because half the people watching him think he's Anderson Cooper. And he was the first beauty queen in the newsroom to figure out how to work the touch screens in the '04 election.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on February 25, 2011 at 2:36 PM · Report this
Normal Adjacent 33
@31 You're right. I don't know or really care if he is a christian of the Jesus Horse or God drives the natural selection bus variety.
Posted by Normal Adjacent on February 25, 2011 at 2:51 PM · Report this
Vince 34
@32 You said what I've been thinking. I just don't like him. I don't know what it is. He leaves me cold. Kind of the way Robert Blake used to leave me cold.
Posted by Vince on February 25, 2011 at 3:03 PM · Report this
Huckabee is a legitimate, though as yet undeclared, contender for the Republican Presidential nomination in 2012, so it is unrealistic to expect him to be barred from guesting on CNN (or Colbert, which hosted him last night). I'm not defending Huckabee or his noxious views--he's a dangerous chap in that he's able to put a genial face on bigotry--but black-balling him in the media is about as likely as Sarah Palin being black-balled.
Posted by Functional Atheist on February 25, 2011 at 3:14 PM · Report this
emma's bee 36
@27: I am old enough to have got and appreciated your reference! Aahh, Myst and Riven allowed me to enjoyably waste many an hour I should have been devoting to my graduate studies.
Posted by emma's bee on February 25, 2011 at 3:18 PM · Report this
Vampireseal 37
I'm sick of families being described as experiments.
Posted by Vampireseal on February 25, 2011 at 4:28 PM · Report this
Spicy McHaggis 38
Huckabee hates gays but loves cop killers.
Posted by Spicy McHaggis on February 25, 2011 at 7:05 PM · Report this
What about all those kids raised by opposite sex parents that turn out to be awful people? Jeffery Dahmer, Ted Bundy, George W. Bush....to name a few. They had a mother and a father and they completely suck at being human. Huckabee can stuff it and shouldn't talk about things he knows nothing about. Makes him look like a jackass
Posted by BiMommy23 on February 25, 2011 at 9:03 PM · Report this
Mike Huckabee is a christian.
Mike Huckabee's son tortured a dog to death.
Serial killers start out by torturing animals to death.
The christian families produces serial killers.
Posted by jeffg166 on February 26, 2011 at 3:00 AM · Report this
BrotherBob 41
Huckabee, being a good Christian, is following the letter of the law. He may be bearing false witness, but NOT against his neighbor. So God must be cool with that!
Posted by BrotherBob on February 26, 2011 at 9:49 AM · Report this
shw3nn 42
From the video, "Gay Americans, especially gay parents, will take offense at that."

This is the sort of thing that really sticks in my craw. Why just gay Americans? Because you could only possibly care out of self interest?

I am straight and married and I find this shit DEEPLY offensive. On many levels. For one thing, it offends many of my personal, closely held beliefs about human rights.

It offends me because it treats what I consider to be the most important and valuable traits in humans and parents as irrelevant.

This argument could easily be used to arrest any progress of any kind since all progress necessarily has a large unknown element. So it also offends my deepest, most cherished hopes for the future of mankind.

I'm offended, too. Fuck you, Mr. King for assuming I wouldn't be.
Posted by shw3nn on February 26, 2011 at 12:12 PM · Report this
wolfzephyr 43
the torturing of animals is the early signs of a serial killer...

p,s, i didn't know you had a kid! thats awesome, i'll bet you're a great dad.
Posted by wolfzephyr on February 26, 2011 at 2:16 PM · Report this
You could take that paragraph that's quoted, and replace "homosexual" with "mixed race", and it would be the same argument that was used to try to keep mixed race marriages illegal.
Posted by Barbara on February 28, 2011 at 7:23 AM · Report this