Thursday, February 10, 2011

I Guess This Is Just How the World Works, But I Thought I'd Share Anyway

Posted by on Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 9:15 AM

Microsoft is the last corporate art collection standing in this landscape littered with what the likes of WaMu and Safeco once held (the ones Chase didn't abscond to New York with, that is). And Microsoft recently got a new curator: Lele Barnett, founder of that great, scrappy little McLeod Residence space in Belltown, which shut down a while ago. Yay!

So I asked Microsoft if I could visit and tour the collection, take a look at what they're up to.

They said no. Just no.

Sorry. I can't tell you what's in there.

CATSPAW666 1
every previous holder of this job has been chewed up and spit out, without making any observable difference.

but in this economic climate, its a job. and Ms Barnett is great, and deserves to be paid.

just dont hold your breath that they will be buying lots of edgy, local art...
Posted by CATSPAW666 on February 10, 2011 at 9:40 AM · Report this
I hope its all black velvet paintings.
Posted by blargh on February 10, 2011 at 10:08 AM · Report this
samktg 3
What in god's name is the point in hiring a curator if you aren't going to show your collection to anyone outside the company? Hell, you might as well just get an interior designer or something to just figure out what matches the furniture.
Posted by samktg on February 10, 2011 at 10:13 AM · Report this
CATSPAW666 4
as I understand it, the real job is "purchasing agent".
but curator sounds better on your resume after you quit in disgust.
Posted by CATSPAW666 on February 10, 2011 at 10:58 AM · Report this
The art is spread throughout the campus. It is on display to folks walking around the building or waiting in a lobby. Its actually a pretty laudable touch to patronize the arts and not have shitty wall filler crap hanging. To be fair it would be a huge pain to actually walk someone thru all the campuses. Go walk into all the lobbies yourself and see what you can.
Posted by cdb on February 10, 2011 at 11:36 AM · Report this
Cascadian 6
The easiest way to see this is to get a job at Microsoft and take a tour of all the buildings during your lunch break. I"m not working there now but I've seen enough of it to know that some is good but a lot is just plain mediocre or bad. I used to walk out of the elevator first thing in the morning to a painting of the sinking Titanic about to be devoured by a giant shark.
Posted by Cascadian on February 10, 2011 at 12:38 PM · Report this
This Empty World 7
Actually they used to offer monthly tours that I and a few others enjoyed very much. Then all of the sudden "poof" no more tours. It would be very exciting to see this program brought back online.
Posted by This Empty World http://www.washingtonruins.com on February 10, 2011 at 12:39 PM · Report this
CATSPAW666 8
social networking to the rescue

Posted by CATSPAW666 on February 10, 2011 at 12:44 PM · Report this
i'm not sure why they even keep it, given that they took the opp to lay-off tons of people under the guise of the economy, they should just sell, sell, sell before anyone realizes they don't have much of value
Posted by arthonest on February 10, 2011 at 7:02 PM · Report this