Friday, February 4, 2011

How Did a Rainbow Flag Wind Up On NOM's Website?

Posted by on Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 4:26 AM

Find out here.

LogopolisMike 1
This made my morning.

As someone who considers NOM the enemy, I am pleased not just by the occurrence itself but by how it exposes that being an idiot in your morality sometimes corresponds with being an idiot with your technology. That their organization's blog person would hotlink an image in such an ignorant way brings me joy on so many levels.
Posted by LogopolisMike http://logopolis.typepad.com on February 4, 2011 at 5:04 AM · Report this
@1 It also reveals just how lightweight their hosting package is. Not that you couldn't host images elsewhere, but even that wouldn't help them if their site belly-ups when a couple extra users hit it at once.

Looks like you could DOS that site with a tin can and a string.

They're not just idiots. They're cheap idiots.
Posted by Brooklyn Reader on February 4, 2011 at 5:58 AM · Report this
Canuck 3
Honestly, you guys are surprised NOM's web skills are Bronze Age? Personally, I'm impressed they've figured out how to use their opposable thumbs...

(I hotlinked an image from a site that I like to illustrate one of my comments a few days ago, and when it came up, there was a little message with it, "this image is from slapupsidethehead, stop on by!" pretty funny...)
Posted by Canuck on February 4, 2011 at 6:32 AM · Report this
Being a long time reader of both you and SMBC I had always thought that this comic of his would be the one to find resonance http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db=…
Posted by MCB on February 4, 2011 at 6:33 AM · Report this
BEG 5
Guess I didn't slogtip fast enough! Someday, someday! :-) I squee'd like a fangirl yesterday when I spotted this item :)

And yeah,Canuck there's lots of ways of dealing with hotlinking. Some encourage it, such as sharing from flickr, others will substitute a nasty message (while retaining the proper image at their site) and others will do the sort of hilarity these guys did.

Man, was that *fun* to see. And that they crushed NOM's servers just to look at it (and that NOM is NOM, which, NOM NOM NOM) -- OMG so many levels of win for a geek.... *squee*
Posted by BEG http://twitter.com/#!/browneyedgirl65 on February 4, 2011 at 6:41 AM · Report this
And here I thought SMBC was just good, funny comics. I'll never miss a day again.
Posted by blah on February 4, 2011 at 6:53 AM · Report this
Pure rainbowlicious awesomeness.
Posted by fallen angel on February 4, 2011 at 7:36 AM · Report this
Cracker Jack 8
This just in: NOM has now just outright lifted the image from SMBC and is hosting it on their own servers. Apparently, they don't understand the whole concept of copyright.
Posted by Cracker Jack on February 4, 2011 at 7:42 AM · Report this
Dingo 9
Per #8, here's the link: http://nomblog.com/4183/#comments
Posted by Dingo on February 4, 2011 at 7:52 AM · Report this
Lilliable 10
I would have preferred the rainbow flag, the Thomas Jefferson quote, AND a dirty picture.
Posted by Lilliable on February 4, 2011 at 8:51 AM · Report this
@10

Two guys having hot anal sex on a giant rainbow flag, one of them screaming the Thomas Jefferson quote as they come all over each other. The one not screaming has a ball gag in his mouth.

Something like that?
Posted by blah on February 4, 2011 at 9:51 AM · Report this
Posted by venomlash on February 4, 2011 at 9:55 AM · Report this
This was excellent.
Posted by Responsible Doc on February 4, 2011 at 10:12 AM · Report this
Hahahahahahaha! Awesome.
Posted by FLgirl on February 4, 2011 at 10:30 AM · Report this
I've been an SMBC reader for a long, long time. This just makes it soooo much awesomer. Well done.
Posted by lirael182 on February 4, 2011 at 11:24 AM · Report this
Crazy Cat Guy's Husband 16
Someone else took similar action on another NOM article by replacing an image of political candidate Fred Karger with the rainbow flag and this addition: " PS: Thou Shalt Not Steal Other People's Bandwidth".
Posted by Crazy Cat Guy's Husband on February 4, 2011 at 11:52 AM · Report this
Lilliable 17
@11: Works for me.
Posted by Lilliable on February 4, 2011 at 12:55 PM · Report this
Eikinkloster 18
Then again, what was accomplished here? Lots of liberals patting each other on the back, and lots of people who never heard of NOM, flocking to NOM and listening to their message.

You guys just gave them the publicity they weren't even ready to bear with.

Now you may resume patting each other on the back.
Posted by Eikinkloster on February 5, 2011 at 10:09 AM · Report this
@18: on the other hand, lots of tech savvy SMBC fans now aware of NOM and ready to take them on whenever they raise their ugly heads.
Posted by Fred Nurke on February 5, 2011 at 10:37 AM · Report this
I agree with 19, I just posted comments on their site about how yummy gay sex is. Sure, they won't get approval but at the same time, someone has to look at it to determine whether it's appropriate or not. Waste their time and disgust them a little. That's well worth my time. :)
Posted by Caroline Petite on February 21, 2011 at 2:02 PM · Report this