Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Who Would You Pick for Washington's Cartoonist Laureate?

Posted by on Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 2:32 PM

According to The Beat, cartoonist James Kochalka has been named Vermont's first-ever cartoonist laureate. (If you're unfamiliar with his work, I reviewed book three in Kochalka's American Elf series a while ago.)

I think Washington should get on this cartoonist laureate train. It should be a strictly ceremonial title—no money involved—but it would be nice for the state to formally appreciate the talent we've got. Who would I pick for our first laureate? Well, Jim Woodring would be an obvious choice. But everyone loves David Lasky, too, and he does a lot of educational outreach for young cartoonists. And who doesn't love Ellen Forney?

Let's put it up to a vote:

Will in Seattle 1
Voted for none, but actually Ellen is a good choice.

That said, I'm drawing cartoons of Mohammed blowing up people in airports for my next project - and you can see his face and his wonder pig Martin Luther.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on January 25, 2011 at 2:43 PM · Report this
ceefurn 2
Does Matt Groening count?
Posted by ceefurn http://weeklygeekshow.com on January 25, 2011 at 2:53 PM · Report this
Keister Button 3
How about Shannon Wheeler?
Posted by Keister Button on January 25, 2011 at 2:54 PM · Report this
Soupytwist 4
Yeah, can we have Matt Groening? Or do they need to be a current resident?
Posted by Soupytwist http://twitter.com/katherinesmith on January 25, 2011 at 2:55 PM · Report this
@2, I was gonna vote for Lynda Barry but she moved to Chicago, I guess...

Oh, wait, what about Gary Larson?
Posted by Peter F on January 25, 2011 at 2:59 PM · Report this
wittyreference 6
Penny Arcade.
Posted by wittyreference http://monotronix.tumblr.com on January 25, 2011 at 2:59 PM · Report this
NaFun 7
@6 said what I came here to say. Gabe and Tycho are easily the best cartoonists in WA. And I LOVE Ellen and Jim, but seriously, look at 'em.
Posted by NaFun http://www.dancesafe.org on January 25, 2011 at 3:02 PM · Report this
SchmuckyTheCat 8
Horsey?
Posted by SchmuckyTheCat on January 25, 2011 at 3:03 PM · Report this
Paul Merrill 9
Peter Bagge!
Posted by Paul Merrill http://www.paulmerrill.com on January 25, 2011 at 3:06 PM · Report this
The Oatmeal.
Posted by Luckier on January 25, 2011 at 3:07 PM · Report this
wisepunk 11
Horsey. Hands down. I can't believe he isn't on this list.
Posted by wisepunk on January 25, 2011 at 3:08 PM · Report this
Fistique 12
It's an embarrassment of cartoon riches up in this comment section!
Posted by Fistique on January 25, 2011 at 3:10 PM · Report this
seandr 13
Mathew Inman.
Posted by seandr on January 25, 2011 at 3:11 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 14
@11 well, he wins too often. time for some new blood.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on January 25, 2011 at 3:13 PM · Report this
Second #9: Peter Bagge.
Posted by carnivorous chicken on January 25, 2011 at 3:15 PM · Report this
Posted by I Got Nuthin' on January 25, 2011 at 3:18 PM · Report this
tjc 17
Alison Bechdel was robbed!
(for VT's CL, I don't have a comic in the game for WA's).
Posted by tjc on January 25, 2011 at 3:21 PM · Report this
wisepunk 18
I love Bagge and Forney, but electing them to this position would be like electing Lindy to be poet laureate or Dan as king of the gheys.
Posted by wisepunk on January 25, 2011 at 3:23 PM · Report this
Kal-El2000 19
Horsey! Any local cartoonist list that doesn't include him should be ignored. Peter Bagge is a good choice too even if he's from New York.
Posted by Kal-El2000 on January 25, 2011 at 3:24 PM · Report this
Hmmm... I like the idea of a cartoonist laureate, but I think it would be a tough call picking one. Maybe we can have a rotating laureate? While I love Ellen Forney, I also have to give shout outs to Gabe and Tycho of Penny Arcade, David Horsey, and Megan Kelso. I definitely think it would have to be someone who lives and works here currently. Too bad about Lynda Barry moving away. I didn't know she'd left us.

Also, am I the only one who is physically repulsed by Jim Woodring's art? It hits me on a visceral, gag-reflex level.
Posted by Squirrel Girl on January 25, 2011 at 3:27 PM · Report this
They are so different, these cartoonists, that choosing any given one is impossible. Ranking artists is just a terrible idea to begin with, as are juried prize awarding art shows. It's as stupid as the Miss America contest. It is all subjective.

Mr. Crankyass
Posted by johnoco on January 25, 2011 at 3:27 PM · Report this
Aaron Huffman 22
I love all those folks—and there are quite a few other possibilities—but I think Jim Woodring is the winner. He's a truly original genius, as far as I'm concerned, and one of the all-time greats. Horsey would be approximately last on my list.
Posted by Aaron Huffman on January 25, 2011 at 3:29 PM · Report this
Indeed, Horsey is the obvious choice.

Laureates are not artists known only to the artistic in-crowd. They are artists (e.g. Robert Frost) with mass appeal.

Not only is Horsey a good cartoonist, not only is he well-known, but he also personifies the "how could any thinking person possibly not be a liberal?" world-view endemic to our region.
Posted by David Wright on January 25, 2011 at 3:30 PM · Report this

Mr. Crankyass
Posted by johnoco on January 25, 2011 at 3:30 PM · Report this
Canadian Nurse 25
Wow. I didn't know how many cartoonists that I like come from your corner of the world. Washington State, bravo!
Posted by Canadian Nurse on January 25, 2011 at 3:36 PM · Report this
Brian Bassett.
Posted by ScreenName on January 25, 2011 at 4:10 PM · Report this
serene 27
I love my nerdy town. This lively thread warms my heart.

(My vote went to Ellen, for what its worth. She teaches at Cornish, created nice art for the Capitol Hill transit station, and is a rad artist. Full of win, I say!)
Posted by serene http://www.grrlnerd.com on January 25, 2011 at 4:20 PM · Report this
Geni 28
If the cartoonist laureate should be someone whose work has actually made people think, there's no contest. David Horsey.
Posted by Geni on January 25, 2011 at 4:25 PM · Report this
COMTE 29
What? No nod to such local luminaries as: Roberta Gregory, Michael Dougan, Molly Norris (where ever you are), Jason Lutes, James Sturm, David Ingersoll, Kazimir Strzepek, Shary Flenniken - gawd, I know I'm missing lots more, but those are just the ones, besides those already mentioned, who come most immediately to mind.

If there's one thing we're not short of around here, it's brilliant pen-and-inkers...
Posted by COMTE on January 25, 2011 at 4:36 PM · Report this
John X. Ambrosavage!
Posted by kulshan on January 25, 2011 at 4:43 PM · Report this
--MC 31
Steve Willis.
Posted by --MC on January 25, 2011 at 4:46 PM · Report this
BASIL WOLVERTON
Posted by jtm on January 25, 2011 at 5:16 PM · Report this
Gary Larson, Washington native,, first published in Seattle Times. Slam dunk, no brainer
Posted by TORMATO on January 25, 2011 at 5:18 PM · Report this
MacCrocodile 34
I noticed there wasn't an option for just "I kick puppies".

@18 - King of the Gheys isn't an elected position.
Posted by MacCrocodile http://maccrocodile.com/ on January 25, 2011 at 5:30 PM · Report this
Bagge