Friday, January 21, 2011

Lazy Fire-tending Mailman!

Posted by on Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 7:21 AM

I buckled last night and watched the television news, but it was worth it for this. Kitsap Sun takes up the story:

The mailboxes along Old Belfair Highway in early 2010 were a little lighter than they should have been, federal prosecutors say, because a particular postal worker was pilfering mass mailings to burn in his home's outdoor fire pit.

Richard A. Farrell, 45, was sentenced Tuesday to three years' probation, 120 hours for community service and a $25 fine after pleading guilty to the crime of delaying or destruction of mail.

The article goes on to quote U.S. attorney Thomas Woods from court documents:

He did not fail to deliver the mail because of an injury or sickness, or because he was spending his time at another job. Rather, his actions can be explained only by extreme laziness and lack of consideration for his job responsibilities and his customers.

But here is the real gem:

The Belfair postmaster alerted law enforcement in January 2010 that instead of delivering a mass mailing, Farrell had filled recycle bins with them. Once federal investigators started trailing him in January and February, they found a pattern. He would conceal the mass mailings in his delivery vehicle, take it home, and "use the mail to start the fire, and then add mail to the fire to keep the fire going," Woods wrote.

Did you hear that? They found a pattern! Farrell would use the mail to start the fire, and then add mail to the fire to keep the fire going. Holy shit! Did a pocket calculator write that sentence? Go on Woods—tell us how it works! What else did he do? I love everything about this story.

Grant, do you even read The Slog? This story was posted by Gillian yesterday. It's only ten posts below this post.
Posted by I Got Nuthin' on January 21, 2011 at 7:24 AM · Report this
Grant Brissey, Emeritus 2
What is Slog? (Damn it!)
Posted by Grant Brissey, Emeritus http://www.grantropolis.com/ on January 21, 2011 at 7:32 AM · Report this

#1

The unique thing is that in neither post do they use the story as a justification for besmirching the Tea Party.

Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://_ on January 21, 2011 at 7:42 AM · Report this
This is my hometown. And I'm fully unsurprised by this.
Posted by Mail's not the only thing that town is burning on January 21, 2011 at 8:00 AM · Report this
flippingthroughrecords 5
I'm shocked that the mail burner only had to play a $25.00 fine and perform 120 hours of community service. Visions of Bevis and Butthead all grown up.
Posted by flippingthroughrecords on January 21, 2011 at 8:02 AM · Report this
I seriously WISH our mail carrier would burn our "mass mailings!"
Posted by SuperSteve on January 21, 2011 at 8:02 AM · Report this
TortoiseTurtle 7
@6, I agree. If only he'd recycled them instead of burning, he'd be a hero. I still think they should have paid him $25 and given him 120 hours of vacation time.
Posted by TortoiseTurtle http://slog.thestranger.com on January 21, 2011 at 8:06 AM · Report this
Your posts seem snarkier since you became Music Editor. I am not complaining, just saying.
Posted by gloomy gus on January 21, 2011 at 8:17 AM · Report this
stinkbug 9
Did you see the story on KING tv last night about lazy drink-tending Stranger staff members who can't be bothered to actually read the blog they post to?
Posted by stinkbug on January 21, 2011 at 8:29 AM · Report this
thecatnextdoor 10
@8 I agree.

Also- thats not technically a pattern. Dont patterns have to start over? Where does it start over? This description seems to just end.
Posted by thecatnextdoor http://onwbn on January 21, 2011 at 8:35 AM · Report this
Seen this story several places now but this was the first time it stuck out that it was "mass mailings" that he was recycling and burning. This guy really should be getting a medal or something.
Posted by cliche on January 21, 2011 at 9:25 AM · Report this
Fifty-Two-Eighty 12
Wait, this was junk mail? Oh, fuck yeah, this guy's a hero.
Posted by Fifty-Two-Eighty http://www.nra.org on January 21, 2011 at 9:32 AM · Report this
TacomaRoma 13
I suspected it was junk mail when I read the article yesterday. Good job on the follow-up, Brissey.

@6, @7 -- Right on. I would support my tax money going for that.
Posted by TacomaRoma on January 21, 2011 at 9:58 AM · Report this
I'm hopping on the "hero" bandwagon. Viva la Resistance!
Posted by dwight moody on January 21, 2011 at 10:00 AM · Report this
someday i am going to run for office on a platform of banning junk mail. i will have the tree vote locked down.
Posted by Adrian Ryan on January 21, 2011 at 10:50 AM · Report this
Jaymz 16
Also - other sources said this guy is deeply in debt to the IRS and that most of his wages were being withheld for back taxes so he felt like he was working for nothing....

Also - I am in Kitsap and my own carrier told me this guy is a "contract worker" and not a regular USPS employee. She is pissed off that he is reflecting poorly on her and other full time USPS employees.
Posted by Jaymz on January 21, 2011 at 11:00 AM · Report this
That's a relief. I was worried that he'd be burning other people's credit card bills or government cheques. Still, I like having the autonomy to burn the mass mailings delivered to me despite burn bans or my partner's disapproval (ash pits and fireplaces aren't fun to clean), or shred them, instead of someone else accidentally yet correctly deciding I don't need RedPlum or Arby's mailers.
Posted by burn baby burn on January 21, 2011 at 12:14 PM · Report this