Thursday, January 20, 2011

Williams Inquest Day Eight—The Verdict is In: I Have a Face Made for Blogging

Posted by on Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 11:28 AM

UPDATE: We've just been informed that the inquest jury has reached its conclusions. They're finished deliberating on the questions posed to them and will announce their findings shortly. I'll post more as soon as the court reconvenes.

***

The eight-member jury tasked with answering questions about the death of John T. Williams—questions like, “Did John T. Williams have sufficient time to put the knife down after Officer Birk's order?” convened at 8:30 a.m. this morning to continue a review of the evidence and testimony surrounding Williams’ death, after deliberating for roughly five hours yesterday.

Which means I’m here again. Waiting. And I’m not alone—there’s a small herd of teevee and other news media surrounding me, along with Williams’ family members and supporters. A while ago, a poodle of a man told me that I’d never have a career in teevee news. “Thank you,” I said.

I’m here until the bitter end and the bitterness heightens with each passing hour because only Jesus “Ginsu” Christ knows when the jury will finish answering their questions—and He’s being withholding. So let’s focus on what happens after the jury finishes its deliberations, shall we?

After the inquest, all eyes turn to King County Prosecuting Attorney Dan Satterberg, who’s ultimately responsible for deciding whether or not to press criminal charges (murder or manslaughter charges, for example) against Officer Ian Birk. Dan Donohoe, a spokesman for Satterberg, says that the prosecuting attorney doesn’t have a time line for making this decision. “He’ll take as long as he needs to review all of the facts,” Donohoe says.

The Williams family can, and probably will, press civil charges against Birk (I’d bet my long and storied news career on it). However, it’s better for their case to wait to see what Satterberg decides. A criminal trial would only strengthen their civil suit. So, after the inquest, it's Satterberg's move.

Joe Szilagyi 1
Thank you so much for this reporting, Cienna. Will updates come to this post so we can refresh away?
Posted by Joe Szilagyi http://www.zombo.com on January 20, 2011 at 11:34 AM · Report this
Will in Seattle 2
Great reporting, Cienna.

Remember, any trial costs us money. It's likely any criminal trial of the police officer would be very very very very expensive.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on January 20, 2011 at 11:38 AM · Report this
Cienna Madrid 3
I have the skeleton of a new post set up. Internet is spotty in the courthouse, and it'll take awhile for the court to reconvene--the lawyers have to be called in--so it'll probably be another half hour before anything happens.
Posted by Cienna Madrid on January 20, 2011 at 11:38 AM · Report this
Westlake, son! 4
@2 yep. So SPD should change its policy regarding activist police adjudicating from the street. SPOG needs to get behind letting the judicial branch do its job to punish people.
Posted by Westlake, son! on January 20, 2011 at 11:53 AM · Report this
Will in Seattle 5
No, I'm just saying prosecutors have to consider resources too. Even if it is murder.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on January 20, 2011 at 11:57 AM · Report this
seandr 6
Christ I hope the jury does the right thing.

For what it's worth (not a whole lot, I'd imagine), Google says your face is beautiful and unique. Jean Enerson, handsome as she is/was, is comparatively conventional and boring, which seems to be what TV news likes.
Posted by seandr on January 20, 2011 at 12:01 PM · Report this
Fnarf 7
For the record, Ciena, you're prettier than any poufy TV news bimbo who ever lived. And smarter than all of them put together.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on January 20, 2011 at 12:02 PM · Report this
busybear 8
Saying you have no future in TV news -- take that as a compliment.
Posted by busybear on January 20, 2011 at 12:16 PM · Report this
I'd totally do you.
Posted by JaimePMcG on January 20, 2011 at 12:18 PM · Report this
@2 Yeah, but the prosecutors get paid all the same. There are some additional costs, but most are fixed regardless of whether this trial happens or not.
Posted by giffy on January 20, 2011 at 12:33 PM · Report this
My sister has a face made for NPR. Ba-dum-boom.
Posted by gloomy gus on January 20, 2011 at 12:38 PM · Report this
Ignoring murder is more expensive than prosecuting it.
Posted by unpaid reader on January 20, 2011 at 12:56 PM · Report this
TVDinner 13
Of course you could never have a career in the teevee. You're smart.
Posted by TVDinner http:// on January 20, 2011 at 1:05 PM · Report this
I'd buy a teevee if it meant I got to watch you do the news.
Posted by Valpey on January 20, 2011 at 1:38 PM · Report this
NaFun 15
Tee-what?

I haven't seen a local news segment in years. PTL.
Posted by NaFun http://www.dancesafe.org on January 20, 2011 at 1:50 PM · Report this
Posted by six shooter on January 20, 2011 at 2:41 PM · Report this
Greg 17
Anybody who's met Cienna knows that she is totally hot.
Posted by Greg on January 20, 2011 at 10:44 PM · Report this