Monday, January 3, 2011

Color of the Year

Posted by on Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 12:07 PM

pms-honeysuckle.jpg
You can stop biting your nails in anticipation because Pantone has announced the color of the year for 2011: Honeysuckle, aka PMS 18-2120.

“In times of stress, we need something to lift our spirits. Honeysuckle is a captivating, stimulating color that gets the adrenaline going — perfect to ward off the blues,” explains Leatrice Eiseman, executive director of the Pantone Color Institute®. “Honeysuckle derives its positive qualities from a powerful bond to its mother color red, the most physical, viscerally alive hue in the spectrum.”

Please take note and start dressing and painting your homes accordingly.

Aaron Huffman 1
Not bad as far as pinks go, I guess, but not quite "a brave new color for a brave new world," as their copy writers would have us believe.
Posted by Aaron Huffman on January 3, 2011 at 12:14 PM · Report this
Shena Lee 2
so sad for erica.
Posted by Shena Lee http://www.shenalee.com on January 3, 2011 at 12:14 PM · Report this
Canuck 3
I prefer to think of it as "FCKH8" pink...
Posted by Canuck on January 3, 2011 at 12:17 PM · Report this
Good eye, Canuck! And apropos of messagewear, I got my IGBP t-shirt (fucking finally, just in time to wear to NO family holiday gatherings until MLK Day Brunch), and I have to say the particular purple it is, is really very nice.
Posted by gloomy gus on January 3, 2011 at 12:27 PM · Report this
Fifty-Two-Eighty 5
It just looks like pink to me.
Posted by Fifty-Two-Eighty http://www.nra.org on January 3, 2011 at 12:27 PM · Report this
leek 6
Typical designer contempt for the hard job of the copywriter, Mr. Huffman. Harrumph.
Posted by leek on January 3, 2011 at 12:32 PM · Report this
Joe Szilagyi 7
Screw pantone. In 2011 like just about every year of my life, my 2011 color is hunter green. Why? Why not.
Posted by Joe Szilagyi http://twitter.com/joeszi on January 3, 2011 at 12:33 PM · Report this
wisepunk 8
Is this for coated or uncoated stock? Must I assume coated?
Posted by wisepunk on January 3, 2011 at 12:33 PM · Report this
Bruce Garrett 9
Can't I just buy a bunch of Pantone sheets and put that on the walls of my house instead of paint? That way when next year's color comes out I can just pull last year's off!
Posted by Bruce Garrett http://brucegarrett.com/brucelog on January 3, 2011 at 12:46 PM · Report this
nixor 10
Looks like pepto pink to me.
Posted by nixor on January 3, 2011 at 12:48 PM · Report this
Aaron Huffman 11
@6: On the contrary! I have nothing but respect (and sympathy) for someone who's forced to come up with hundreds of words about the color pink. I'm guessing the writer probably sees the humor in this, even if his/her overlords at the Pantone Color Institute do not.
Posted by Aaron Huffman on January 3, 2011 at 12:54 PM · Report this
leek 12
@11: It IS pretty great. Hidden snark is one of the few pleasures of the copywriting life.
Posted by leek on January 3, 2011 at 1:03 PM · Report this
Posted by venomlash on January 3, 2011 at 1:05 PM · Report this
Urgutha Forka 14
For the rest of year, I will refuse to tip waitstaff, in honor of Mr. Pink.
Posted by Urgutha Forka on January 3, 2011 at 1:06 PM · Report this
Canuck 15
No way, gus! I can't believe you got your shirt! I think mine has been submitted as an offering to the Canadian Postal gods, or something... I am sad, though, on your behalf, that you didn't get to wear it to any holiday events. Xmas Chez Canuck was a glitter fest this year: Purple and lime green sparkle covered ornaments hanging from light fixtures, mmm, those purple shirts would have fit right in. Am rockin' the STR8 against H8 bumper sticker, though...
Posted by Canuck on January 3, 2011 at 1:09 PM · Report this
very bad homo 16
That is soooo 1986.
Posted by very bad homo on January 3, 2011 at 1:12 PM · Report this
rob! 17
Heck, I painted my egg-carton caterpillar that exact color in second grade, then added googly eyes and lime-green antennae made of pipe cleaners spiraled around a pencil. Am now looking to see what color(s) I presciently used in my third-grade artwork.
Posted by rob! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZBdUceCL5U on January 3, 2011 at 1:20 PM · Report this
Josh Bomb 18
I prefer Puce to Honeysuckle, thank you.
Posted by Josh Bomb http://www.satanosphere.com on January 3, 2011 at 1:33 PM · Report this
prenks 19
@9 - Good plan.

@10 - My thoughts exactly.
Posted by prenks on January 3, 2011 at 1:41 PM · Report this
w7ngman 20
<insert comment about how Pantone can't be accurately represented on a computer screen>
Posted by w7ngman http://userscripts.org/users/89370 on January 3, 2011 at 1:49 PM · Report this
veo_ 21
Fuck you, Pantone.

In other news, a guest at my NYE party was wearing slacks this color. I wonder if he knew something....
Posted by veo_ on January 3, 2011 at 1:49 PM · Report this
Canuck, I hope yours arrives soon. If I recall correctly, we ordered the first day Dan announced it. Like, years ago...
Posted by gloomy gus on January 3, 2011 at 2:04 PM · Report this
Mmmmmmmm.... Pepto Bismol.
Posted by spiderplanet on January 3, 2011 at 2:14 PM · Report this
Gus 24
It's ugly. I shall be unfashionable this year, and only hang out with other unfashionable people.
Posted by Gus on January 3, 2011 at 2:36 PM · Report this
wisepunk 25
@20 or in CMYK either.
Posted by wisepunk on January 3, 2011 at 2:45 PM · Report this
The NY Times reports this as a trend for ...bathrooms. Already lived through that once, never again.
Posted by westello on January 3, 2011 at 3:56 PM · Report this
Canuck 27
Fingers crossed, gus. I think we also managed to order them just before the trendy additional styles came out, no? Ah well, I plan to trim out the neck a la Flashdance circa 1982 anyway...
Posted by Canuck on January 3, 2011 at 4:20 PM · Report this
If this color is supposed to "lift our spirits" in "times of stress" why is it called "PMS" 18-2120?

Also, aren't most honeysuckle flowers white or yellow?

This is a bad omen, people!!
Posted by PetiteXL on January 3, 2011 at 5:12 PM · Report this
Fifty-Two-Eighty 29
@28: Mostly, yes, they are. But I've seen pink ones also. Unfortunately, they're a much lighter shade of pink.
Posted by Fifty-Two-Eighty http://www.nra.org on January 3, 2011 at 5:18 PM · Report this
Would Steel Magnolias consider that color "Blush" or "Bashful" ?
Posted by Candida on January 3, 2011 at 6:26 PM · Report this
Geni 31
It seems very ... vaginal.
Posted by Geni on January 4, 2011 at 1:07 PM · Report this
Don't know what the "18-2120" part signifies, but it's pink enough to give me PMS.
Posted by RonK, Seattle on January 4, 2011 at 1:58 PM · Report this