Thursday, December 23, 2010

Officewatch 2010™: Day Two, Hangover and Plans

Posted by on Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 11:15 AM

After my unsuccessful attempt to break into Keck's office last night, I roamed the hallways finishing the bottle of bourbon I'd unsuccessfully attempted to finish night before last. When that went dry, I started into a bottle of Crown Czar vodka mixed with Relentless™ energy drink, which eventually sent me into hyperglycemic coma from which I only awoke minutes ago. Today I have resolved to consult a locksmith and resume my efforts to gain entry to the Crow's Nest. In the meantime, please enjoy this edition of Guess Whose Desk!™

Item: Ancient 1/4-inch cassette handheld recorder. Please note broken play button (How would one accurately transcribe interviews?) and the contents (one copy of Judy Bridgewater's Songs After Dark).

tape.jpg

Lindy reviewed the movie made from the novel, plus young people using old tech is really cute, so I'll say her.
Posted by gloomy gus on December 23, 2010 at 11:24 AM · Report this
Fnarf 2
I see here that this "Judy Bridgewater cassette" is actually a disguised thumb drive sent out as a promotional item for a new film made from Kazuo Ishiguro's novel "Never Let Me Go". Bridgewater and her album are fictional. So it's gotta be film or books, Paul or Lindy?
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on December 23, 2010 at 11:27 AM · Report this
vooodooo84 3

Here, learn how to lockpick
Posted by vooodooo84 on December 23, 2010 at 11:28 AM · Report this
Spaceman 4
So glad to finally get to spend some time alone together.
Posted by Spaceman on December 23, 2010 at 11:46 AM · Report this
despicable me 5
Who in the hell would want a desk like that? Which happens to look suspiciously like a hardwood floor? If that was my desk, well never mind this would never be my desk. Why? Because I would be bitching and complaining everytime I had to write or sign something and the pen punched a hole in the paper because of the slats or grooves or whatever you want to call them.
Posted by despicable me on December 23, 2010 at 12:55 PM · Report this
Grant Brissey, Emeritus 6
@5: The recorder was placed on the floor for clutter-free photo documentation. Also, we don't sign things at the Stranger.
Posted by Grant Brissey, Emeritus http://www.grantropolis.com/ on December 23, 2010 at 1:06 PM · Report this
Fnarf 7
@6, ah, a further clue -- a cluttered desk! It HAS to have been...a Stranger writer.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on December 23, 2010 at 1:08 PM · Report this
3- I was a locksmith. It's not as easy as watching an internet video.
Posted by nice try, though on December 23, 2010 at 1:18 PM · Report this
And how would someone listen to a cassette without any tape in it?
Posted by Wheedle on December 23, 2010 at 1:50 PM · Report this
despicable me 10
@6, ah that esplains it. I wouldn't sign anything either, but it's my job and I get paid for it.
Posted by despicable me on December 23, 2010 at 1:52 PM · Report this
Reverse Polarity 11
Have a little respect, Grant. That thing is a genuine antique! Threat it with care. I doubt you can even buy one of those things any more.
Posted by Reverse Polarity on December 23, 2010 at 2:30 PM · Report this
Fnarf 12
@11, the cassette Walkman was officially discontinued by Sony Japan just this October, but is still being manufactured in China for third world markets, including the USA.

Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on December 23, 2010 at 3:57 PM · Report this
Jessica 13
I drove by the Stranger office today and saw a locksmith headed thataway, what was the outcome of that?
Posted by Jessica on December 23, 2010 at 6:09 PM · Report this
flippingthroughrecords 14
I have a cheap cassette walkman that just celebrated its 19th birthday and guess what? it still works! Now, if only I had a few cassettes...
Posted by flippingthroughrecords on December 23, 2010 at 8:21 PM · Report this