Monday, November 22, 2010

Beecher's Cheese Wins the Oprah Lottery

Posted by on Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 10:05 AM

This happened Friday, but Slog's a little lackadaisical when it comes to the Oprah beat, and so I'm sharing it now. Last Friday, Oprah hosted her final annual "My Favorite Things" episode, in which she gives everyone in the audience a extravagant collection of products of which she approves. It is a disturbing thing to watch.

However, for those lucky underdog products that find their way into Borpo's favor, the "Favorite Things" episode can literally be the greatest thing that could ever happen. I imagine this will be the case for Beecher's Handmade Cheese, the beloved Pike Place Market cheesery responsible for the frozen mac and cheese product that Oprah declared one of her favorite things (alongside diamond watches, cashmere sweaters, and luxury cruises).

Beecher's founder Kurt Beecher Dammeier was interviewed Friday by KING 5:

"It really hasn't sunk in yet. I got several calls from Oprah's team asking for samples and I was so nervous. They called recently to let me know I made the cut."

Chef Dammeier was sworn to secrecy until the show aired Friday. The Mercer Island entrepreneur has spent weeks bulletproofing his website in anticipation of the "O Factor."

But there's one big problem. The secret weapon in the dish is an aged flagship cheese. It must age 18 months before it can be put into the dish.

"We can't sell anymore than we already have from 18 months, so we hope we have enough to fill the need. We just don't know."

Congratulations and good luck, Beecher's!

Fuck. I need to start stockpiling.
Posted by gloomy gus on November 22, 2010 at 10:14 AM · Report this
stinkbug 2
It was nice of them to dish out free Mac & Cheese for hours on Friday. Saved me $5 right there.
Posted by stinkbug on November 22, 2010 at 10:19 AM · Report this
Joe Szilagyi 3
Awesome for Kurt and company! He and his company are seriously the nicest people around.
Posted by Joe Szilagyi http://www.zombo.com on November 22, 2010 at 10:28 AM · Report this
Simone 4
I'm very lackluster when it comes to the Oprah craze. I think it was cool/great for the seattle mac&cheez business.

I wonder, does she really have time to eat/play with all these things she endorses/loves? She may know how to use a Nikon D3100 DSLR but I doubt she had anytime at all to play with one although it was announced in August and didn't ship until late September. She may have been able to get one and play with it but I doubt it. Someone must be helping her.
Posted by Simone on November 22, 2010 at 10:59 AM · Report this
Beecher's is one of my very favorite cheeses. I live alone and eat at least a pound every month. At least one inch of my waistline is directly attributable to these wretched cheesemongers and their insanely tasty curds.
Posted by Smartypants on November 22, 2010 at 11:08 AM · Report this
keshmeshi 6
@4,

Oprah's staff may have actually figured out which of those toys she should endorse. Or they took care of all the day-to-day stuff that millionaires/billionaires don't have to bother their beautiful minds with. Oprah has a personal chef, probably has a stylist to pick out her clothes, certainly has a personal assistant (or multiple assistants). I find it easy to believe that she has time to play with a DSLR, if that's how she chooses to spend her free time.
Posted by keshmeshi on November 22, 2010 at 11:17 AM · Report this
@5, there aren't enough Stairmasters in the world to completely compensate for how much I've managed to justify eating of their Fresh Kale and Brown Rice Gratin.
Posted by gloomy gus on November 22, 2010 at 11:17 AM · Report this
birdy num num 8
that clip made my brain melt like the mac and cheese it is so dearly about. watching people go bananas over every unveiling made my toes curl in disgust.
Posted by birdy num num on November 22, 2010 at 11:22 AM · Report this
@4: I'll bet Santa has more than an army of elves helping him on the North Pole too.

Congrats to Beecher's. I love that stuff too!

But, really. This show? It was awesome when her first big sponsored giveaway was a new car for her hand-picked audience of people in need.

It's become a sick parade of gluttony and audience phoniness. You could practically see the collective thought bubble: "Let's get on to the grand finale, already. I can only fake my excitement for Netflix, scented candles, and mac 'n cheese so long."

Am I sick to wish that we'd see a show like this where, at the end, Oprah says, "And that's what yesterday's taped audience received. You're going home with an iTunes gift card worth tennnnnn dolllarrrrrrrrs!"
Posted by Punditwatch on November 22, 2010 at 11:23 AM · Report this
Oprah loves being royalty. I find it really disgusting, along with the way her audience loves being subjects to her largess.

There's no dignity in it at all.
Posted by dwight moody on November 22, 2010 at 11:36 AM · Report this
@10, I do agree but to be fair, it's been an awfully long time since it's been safe to look for dignity on the late afternoon teevee.
Posted by gloomy gus on November 22, 2010 at 12:19 PM · Report this
brocaine 12
I work for a company that got a request for samples of a product from Oprah's minions; apparently we didn't win the Oprah lottery. The woman I talked to acted like I was supposed to start screaming and jumping up and down when she mentioned she worked for Oprah. It was nauseating.
Posted by brocaine http://www.superporkteenexplosion.com on November 22, 2010 at 4:31 PM · Report this