and Drunks

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

College Prof Bans Enthusiastic Yawning from the Universe!

Posted by on Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 11:49 AM

In the following video, a Cornell professor gets a LOT OF UPSET when a student yawns too loudly following his terrible joke. Some unasked for advice to Cornell professor: 1) Don't threaten to make everyone sit there until the perpetrator confesses when you can't possibly follow up on the threat. 2) Don't ask for someone to narc their fellow students out, if you're not prepared to accept their answer. And 3) Don't ban yawning from the universe. I'm pretty sure that's impossible. OH! And 4) You're kind of a dick. That's not really advice—more of an observation. YAAAAAAWWWWWNNNNN!!!!

Via

WTF? kids at cornell wear ties to class? maybe andy from the office is representative.
Posted by Frank Rizzo on November 16, 2010 at 11:54 AM · Report this
Tracy 2
Holy carp! I had a professor do this at UW in 2001. Someone's cell phone rang. The Prof lost his friggin' mind. Started screaming and hollering and said we'd all sit there until someone admitted it was their phone or until someone ratted out the person. This was in Kane Hall, one of the giant two-story 700 person lecture classes. He starts walking up the aisles, yelling and demanding we tell him. After 5 minutes of this, he just said "Fine then, class is canceled" and he left. it was wild watching a grown ass man lose his cool in front of so many of us punk kids, ya know? Respect for teacher lost for the remainder of the quarter, and I made sure to never take any of his classes again.
Posted by Tracy on November 16, 2010 at 12:11 PM · Report this
Sargon Bighorn 3
Prima Donna professor and rude students, what a mix!
Posted by Sargon Bighorn on November 16, 2010 at 12:16 PM · Report this
Sargon Bighorn 4
#2 Tracy your monkey face is so cute!
Posted by Sargon Bighorn on November 16, 2010 at 12:17 PM · Report this
Supreme Ruler Of The Universe 5

Actually, a yawn is the response of the body trying to wake up by taking in more oxygen. It happens when the person is trying to stay away, or be attentive. So the professor should be flattered.
Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://www.you-read-it-here-first.com on November 16, 2010 at 12:28 PM · Report this
Vince 6
It's funny because he starts by saying nobody remembers what a telegraph is anymore and then he gets recorded acting a fool on a TELEPHONE!
Posted by Vince on November 16, 2010 at 12:36 PM · Report this
Schmapdi 7
What a dick - in my worst college class a history professor, and the most boring lecturer ever. This asshole once reamed this poor girl out for like 10 minutes because she, 5 minutes late for class, silently came in the room and sat down in the front row, disturbing no one. He threw a tantrum because she didn't come in the back door, because she was disrupting everyone else from learning.
Posted by Schmapdi on November 16, 2010 at 12:37 PM · Report this
The yawning for oxygen thing has been largely disproven. In fact, it can actually reduce your oxygen intake.
Posted by jzimbert on November 16, 2010 at 12:47 PM · Report this
Is anyone else thinking this guy is an abuser in his personal life? I particularly noticed the "Don't make me do this again" line.
Posted by Margaret L. on November 16, 2010 at 12:59 PM · Report this
Simone 10
In one of my classes at WWU my old Nokia brick phone w/o vibration tech started ringing. I had forgot to shut it off and of course it was on key lock so I could not turn it off. It was a call from my dad and I regrettably answered it in a low voice and was about to get up and walk out the door quietly/tell him to call later when the teacher lost all cool, raised his voice and kicked me out of class.

Sadly it was a confirmation call telling me that my stepmother indeed had Prostate Cancer. A bad day all around as I was expecting the call for a few days. I visited the professor later on in the day and we both profusely apologized and I told him about the call.
Posted by Simone on November 16, 2010 at 1:04 PM · Report this
mr. herriman 11
of course he's an abuser in real life. "my bad side is as bad as my pleasant side is pleasant. don't push me there." isn't that in the abuser's handbook?
Posted by mr. herriman on November 16, 2010 at 1:06 PM · Report this
mr. herriman 12
sorry, oops - i meant to write "personal life" not "real life." LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO!!
Posted by mr. herriman on November 16, 2010 at 1:07 PM · Report this
DOUG. 13
Lectures are videotaped? In my day (like, the 90s) we had shitty lecture notes. Kids these days are so fucking spoiled.
Posted by DOUG. http://www.dougsvotersguide.com on November 16, 2010 at 1:12 PM · Report this
sirkowski 14
Divorce is a hell of a drug.
Posted by sirkowski http://www.missdynamite.com on November 16, 2010 at 1:14 PM · Report this
How did a person wih a phone get all of those different angle shots? front of class, rear left, etc...
Posted by Beth on November 16, 2010 at 1:19 PM · Report this
Heather 16
Take that "professor" seriously at your own peril.

I yawn in your face, prof.
Posted by Heather on November 16, 2010 at 1:25 PM · Report this
Ness 17
@14 FTW
Posted by Ness http://www.collegecandy.com/author/nessfraser on November 16, 2010 at 1:30 PM · Report this
oh, THAT 18
@9 - Margaret, That was my first thought as well. He's classic. He has some serious self esteem problems, like all abusers and bullies. I was hoping to see the whole class stand up and walk out en mass. They should have. He has all the nice, ambitious middle class kids by the short and curlies and he knows it, the prick.

He collected his bad karma in this video. It won't go well for him at the tenure review. Heh.
Posted by oh, THAT on November 16, 2010 at 2:06 PM · Report this
Vince 19
@10 Was your stepmother a transexual?
Posted by Vince on November 16, 2010 at 2:15 PM · Report this
The thing about pitching a fit about respect is that it has never, in the history of humanity, had the intended effect.
Posted by Orsh on November 16, 2010 at 2:30 PM · Report this
Wow. That was quite a performance. I get annoyed by my students all the time and sometimes I use my big vocabulary to get their attention, but I have never, in my entire career as a professor, acted like a big asshole the way that guy did. It is mortifying to see toxic diva-hood as a substitute for teaching. Smart student who got it on video. Not good for the faculty member. I had to chair a committee once that assessed the fitness of a faculty member with anger management issues. We keep an eye on this kind of shit, at least in the public university system where I work.
Posted by LuisitaPhD on November 16, 2010 at 4:15 PM · Report this
if what he says is true, then i feel sorry for the dude. he said the same annoying loud yawning has been happening all semester. it's november. so that's means he's been ignoring it for two or three months. it's a huge hall, so those are probably freshmen, and it's probably a class that most of them dont want to take, maybe even a gen ed. so some freshman jackwad has been sitting in the back of the class for two or three months, yawning very loudly throughout the class in an obnoxious effort to show the prof how 'boring' the class is and how much the kid doesnt want to be there. i'd probably eventually lose my cool at that, too.
Posted by hereiswheremynamegoes on November 16, 2010 at 4:23 PM · Report this
No snitchin, yo.
Posted by Naive White Libtarded Seattle Progressive on November 16, 2010 at 5:15 PM · Report this
NaFun 24
"I know who did it."
"WHO?!?"
"Your Mom."
Posted by NaFun http://www.dancesafe.org on November 16, 2010 at 5:22 PM · Report this
@Simone, did you say your step *mother* had prostate cancer? Was she pre-op M-F trans?
Posted by NoraCharles on November 17, 2010 at 12:59 PM · Report this
@22 Exactly.

Some rude jerk has been yanking the prof's chain for weeks and he blew up.

It happens.
Posted by BobSF_94117 on November 17, 2010 at 1:12 PM · Report this
@19 I was wondering! Women don't have prostates... Maybe she was.

But wiki says:
In 2002, female paraurethral glands, or Skene's glands, were officially renamed the female prostate by the Federative International Committee on Anatomical Terminology.
Posted by subwlf on November 17, 2010 at 2:24 PM · Report this
So we do.
Posted by subwlf on November 17, 2010 at 2:25 PM · Report this
Sorry Dan, I agree that there is a dick in this clip, but it is not the prof, it's the loud yawner. I think #22 is right on target. The yawner might as well be calling out "boring!". I would have been more clear than the prof was. Go ahead and yawn--but keep it silent. In other words, STFU!
Posted by bikefiddler on November 21, 2010 at 7:04 AM · Report this
that's nick mamatas
Posted by gregor on November 21, 2010 at 5:05 PM · Report this
Students can definitely be passive aggressive and obnoxious (I really don't want to have to sit here and listen to you in order to get my grade and move on, so I'll let you know how boring this all is) and the guy with the overloud yawn definitely falls into that category.

That said, professors really are impotent in this situation, and this guy's inappropriate rage and hollow threats demonstrates that impotence more than anything else.
Posted by Sacko on November 22, 2010 at 8:44 AM · Report this