Friday, November 12, 2010

In Case You Don't Already Want to Stab Your Face Off, There's This

Posted by on Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 1:42 PM

You know, I've been willing to overlook Glee's faults for quite awhile now, because I truly believe that what they're doing with the overall product is revolutionary. There has NEVER been a show that brings gay issues and inclusiveness to the mainstream like Glee (and no Will & Grace does NOT count, thanksforplaying). On the other hand it can also be insanely clunky, overbearing, unfunny, and like last week's "gay bullying episode" a near train wreck. But like a train wreck, I can't stop watching! Just like I couldn't stop watching this clip from next week's episode in which Gwyneth Paltrow plays a substitute teacher who sings Cee-Lo's "Fuck You." (But of course, they change it to "Forget You.") This particular train leaps off the tracks, barrels through a kid's chemo treatment center, runs over 37 baskets of puppies, and then explodes in a firestorm of WHAT THE FUCK. (Or rather, what the "forget.") Watch.

Canuck 1
Michael K at Dlisted calls her Fishsticks for good reason: skinny, brittle, cold...gaaa, she's appalling, and has no rhythm. Make her stop.

And I *loved* last week's episode...
Posted by Canuck on November 12, 2010 at 1:48 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 2
Anything GP does is good.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on November 12, 2010 at 1:52 PM · Report this
I think I'd like Glee better WITHOUT the music. I'd rather have character development over synthetic, cheesy numbers and the sameness that every song turns into. If this is where American Idol has led us, then get me the hell off.
Posted by Duvall-ite on November 12, 2010 at 1:54 PM · Report this
You know "Forget You" is the radio edit version right? Like when they sang "But she ain't messin' wit no broke, broke" when doing Gold Digger in season one. They didn't just make that up.
Posted by Ben Weldon on November 12, 2010 at 1:55 PM · Report this

Is Glee always like this?

Oh, that's why I don't watch it.
Posted by balmonter on November 12, 2010 at 2:02 PM · Report this
Dee 6
@4 - he even made a radio version of the video. http://brightcove.vo.llnwd.net/d9/unsecu…
Posted by Dee on November 12, 2010 at 2:05 PM · Report this
I think Paltrow's performance is good here - so I have to ask - what is it *specifically* that bothers you about it? Please be more clear in your writing next time.
Posted by Glee guy fan on November 12, 2010 at 2:09 PM · Report this
Jessica 8
Um, Cee-Lo specifically recorded this version so it would get played on the radio-- he's even said he doesn't want his kids to hear the original version. Mostly, I'm unnerved by how much I sometimes don't passionately dislike Gwynnie, but that's usually remedied by reading GOOP for five minutes.
Posted by Jessica on November 12, 2010 at 2:16 PM · Report this
veo_ 9
I don't watch glee but this is exactly what I expect it to be like. I don't see what the fuss is about.
Posted by veo_ on November 12, 2010 at 2:16 PM · Report this
Jenny from the Block 10
The song doesn't quite have the same message when a pretty women is talking about not having enough money for her gold digging ex-boyfriend.
Posted by Jenny from the Block on November 12, 2010 at 2:16 PM · Report this
Dougsf 11
I don't understand what's going on here. Is the singing blond robot a teacher? Why are cheerleaders hanging out in the band room, do the band kids have wine coolers? Why would the teacher allow them to drink wine coolers? Maybe robots don't know what wine coolers are, because they can't drink?
Posted by Dougsf on November 12, 2010 at 2:17 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 12
@11 you overthink things. No wonder you don't like Glee ...
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on November 12, 2010 at 2:21 PM · Report this
Last week's episode jumped the shark - this is what they landed in after the jump.

What happened the show full of nasty people? Remember when Mr Shue black-mailed the Jock into joining the glee club by PLANTING DRUGS ON HIM? When Mr Shue wasn't this dewy-eyed fop?

Posted by Jim.D.Canuck on November 12, 2010 at 2:26 PM · Report this
Josh Bomb 14
auto-tuned much? this was painful.
Posted by Josh Bomb http://www.satanosphere.com on November 12, 2010 at 2:26 PM · Report this
Ness 15
Chris Martin must be so proud.
Posted by Ness http://www.collegecandy.com/author/nessfraser on November 12, 2010 at 2:26 PM · Report this
rootwinterguard 16
@11 - Yes, no one should be "overthinking" about television
Posted by rootwinterguard http://www.askanatheist.tv on November 12, 2010 at 2:33 PM · Report this
Fnarf 17
@14, there's no trace of her voice left, is there? We'll add singing to the list of things Paltrow can't do (which is everything).
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on November 12, 2010 at 2:34 PM · Report this
benjammin509 18
I like the way she looks.
Posted by benjammin509 on November 12, 2010 at 2:38 PM · Report this
Fenrox 19
I watch glee and mute the songs. Auto-tune just makes the whole thing pointless.

I WOULD HOWEVER be ok with it if the actors just explained that they ate a tiny computer.

MATHMATICAL!
Posted by Fenrox on November 12, 2010 at 2:38 PM · Report this
flippingthroughrecords 20
Ms Paltrow you are not Zooey Deschanel. That was painful to listen to.
Posted by flippingthroughrecords on November 12, 2010 at 2:59 PM · Report this
Joe Szilagyi 21
In case everyone is dumb, the point of Glee is that it's a stupid over the top musical that sometimes grounds itself for extra impact. If you get 44 minutes an episode, 4-8 will be semi-serious to serious, and the rest are ridiculous. That's the point.
Posted by Joe Szilagyi http://twitter.com/joeszi on November 12, 2010 at 3:03 PM · Report this
Vince 22
Not totally bad. She does strike me as emotionless, but when your every wish has been granted all your life, it's probably little emotion to draw from.
Posted by Vince on November 12, 2010 at 3:30 PM · Report this
OutInBumF 23
Leave Blythe Danner's daughter allloooonnnne!
Posted by OutInBumF on November 12, 2010 at 3:32 PM · Report this
Bub 24
*spoiler alert*

Gwyneth's head ends up in a box at the end of the episode.
Posted by Bub on November 12, 2010 at 3:36 PM · Report this
I imagine she is surrounded by gaggles of "yes" people and they convinced her this would be a good idea. Alas, we must all learn and accept our shortcomings. Poor Goopy has not learned that lesson yet.
Posted by LizzieVeg on November 12, 2010 at 4:06 PM · Report this
@ 21- we get the "point" of Glee (at least I do)- the "music" sucks, though.
Posted by Duvall-ite on November 12, 2010 at 5:37 PM · Report this
Michael of the Green 27
It was a mistake to include the Tufts Beelzebubs in last week's show; it set a standard that the Glee regulars cannot meet. This performance was painful. I feel bad for GP. She actually CAN sing, but this "performance" was wildly processed and even badly lip-synced!
Posted by Michael of the Green on November 12, 2010 at 5:53 PM · Report this
You're right, Paul. How dare they change it to "Forget You"? C-Lo would never do something like that, corrupt his song so it could be acceptable to mainstream audiences.

Oh, nevermind...
Posted by bigyaz on November 12, 2010 at 6:00 PM · Report this
nixor 29
gloop.
Posted by nixor on November 12, 2010 at 9:55 PM · Report this
Lola, Missing Iowa City 30
Leave GP alone. And Glee jumped the shark after the second episode of the first season.
Posted by Lola, Missing Iowa City on November 12, 2010 at 10:53 PM · Report this