and Drunks

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Gay Marriage Is Legal In New Hampshire

Posted by on Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 7:50 AM

But New Hampshire's biggest daily paper—The Union Leader—refuses to print same-sex wedding announcements because that's the "policy of the newspaper." It's a policy that could have serious repercussions for one couple in particular.

Granite countertops, rainbow cupcakes, wedding announcements—you would think there wasn't a recession on with the way some business owners are turning away certain kinds of customers. Here's hoping all the bigot-owned businesses go bankrupt, each and every one.

UPDATE: Never wake up, roll over, toss something up on Slog, and then walk away from the computer. "Serious repercussions" is a bit over-the-top. I'm afraid I adopted the slightly overly-dramatic tone of an overly-dramatic wedding planner. I was more interested in this being yet another example of a private business turning down paying customers in the midst of a recession. Anyway, score one for the trolls.

So he wants to out himself as publicly as possible to create a backlash at home then whine that he can't go home because of the backlash?

A S S H O L E

Good work, Danny.

Do you ever even sniff this shit before you gobble it down?

(did you hear the one about the guy who murdered his parents then begged for mercy from the Court because he was an orphan? yeah, he was a faggot too....)
Posted by NO Freedom of the Press in the Qunited States of Gaymerica on October 21, 2010 at 8:02 AM · Report this
I'm 85 Years Old 2
Your definition of "serious repercussions" and mine differ greatly.
Posted by I'm 85 Years Old on October 21, 2010 at 8:08 AM · Report this
Sloggers--the e-mail address for Letters to the Editor for the Union leader is: finan@unionleader.com

Make your voices heard.

Posted by Clayton on October 21, 2010 at 8:09 AM · Report this
If this poor guy gets MURDERED when he goes back to Venezuela it will be the fault of the newspaper.

Totally!

Lynch the Editor NOW.

Dan, give us email addresses so we can start HARASSING people!!!

(but 'respectfully', you know...)

Man-

I can't get over how SERIOUS
the REPERCUSSIONS
will be for this poor guy....

*sniff!*

*sob!*
Posted by shit. and me without a box of tissues.... on October 21, 2010 at 8:10 AM · Report this
This is what I wrote:

I just read the story of Greg and Aurelio, who were denied a wedding announcement by the Union Leader on the grounds that the Union Leader has the right to print whatever it wants.
You may indeed have the right to set your own editorial policy, but you should be aware that your current policy risks brinding your paper as retrograde, bigoted and behind the times.

Your state offers legal, civil marriage to two people of the same sex. That is a fact. Same-sex couples have the same, normal desire to publicize their marriages as their straight brothers and sisters. That, too, is a fact.

There was a time in the not-too-distant past when newspapers in the south would print wedding announcements for white cpouples, but not black ones. This blatantly bigoted policy was eventually recognized as socially abhorrent, even if it was technically allowed under the first amendment.

You should amend your policy as soon as possible, and print wedding announcements for all weddings, whether you, personally, approve of them or not. It is your job to disseminate information of interest. It is not your job—outside of the editorial page—to be the moral arbiter of Manchester, New Hampshire.
Posted by Clayton on October 21, 2010 at 8:11 AM · Report this
I think it's good to out the paper's bigotry, but if it's important to have their wedding announced, is there any reason why it can't be announced in another paper? Surely, they're not all like that. Even a paper that's not their local paper would be better than nothing.
Posted by Jamie in Pittsburgh http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/strawberry.limonade?ref=name on October 21, 2010 at 8:13 AM · Report this
So half of the guys relatives find out he is gay by receiving a wedding invitation?

And we're going to blame the newspaper when his balls get caught in the wringer?

Really?

This is OUR CAUSE?

Danny,
you do realize there are hungry people in the world,
don't you?
Posted by sure they're starving, but THEY AREN'T FAGGOTS.... on October 21, 2010 at 8:14 AM · Report this

once you brind yourself as a bigot its all over....
Posted by suicideispainless on October 21, 2010 at 8:16 AM · Report this

Hungry Children in Africa?

let them eat RAINBOW CUPCAKES......
Posted by it's good for the economy on October 21, 2010 at 8:17 AM · Report this
Sloggers, you must follow the link-
This story gets SO MUCH MORE UPSETTING....
Posted by does Venezuela have a Farce Advocate, too? EMAIL HIM!! on October 21, 2010 at 8:20 AM · Report this
Joe Szilagyi 11
@2
Your definition of "serious repercussions" and mine differ greatly.

Obviously you didn't read the article:

Aurelio is in the process of becoming a US citizen. He has his social security number, and his driver’s license. Venezuela is a very conservative country and many citizens don’t support gay marriage or homosexuality in general. Actually, this fact is so true, that half of Aurelio’s family just discovered he was gay when we sent their wedding invitation to them last week. Because of this fact, Greg and Aurelio wanted to make their wedding as public as possible in the US in order to plead to a judge to allow him to stay in the US for fear of his safety from his countrymen should be return to Venezuela as an openly gay man.

Posted by Joe Szilagyi on October 21, 2010 at 8:21 AM · Report this
@5

Actually
"Retrograde, Bigoted and Behind the Times. Eeeha!"
is the slogan of the Union Leader.
Posted by but thanks for sticking your nose in on October 21, 2010 at 8:23 AM · Report this
Joe Szilagyi 13
Seriously, Dan? You guys really need to get with your IT staff. How many of these constant dickwad comments by 'anonymous' are from the same IP addresses again and again and again? If that bullshit is from some regular poster, why not out them?
Posted by Joe Szilagyi on October 21, 2010 at 8:24 AM · Report this

Obviously he did.

Obviously you are a clueless asshole.

Pickling you head in Dan's rectum has that effect.....
Posted by ...Credulity, thy name is Slog on October 21, 2010 at 8:25 AM · Report this

you're a regular smorgasbord, dickface....
Posted by HomoLiberal Indignation!! WE LOVE IT!!! on October 21, 2010 at 8:29 AM · Report this
Dingo 16
13: Who cares about outing them. Why not either block the fucker or simply require registration to post.
Posted by Dingo on October 21, 2010 at 8:38 AM · Report this
Canuck 17
@15 You should probably put your pants back on, your mom will be yelling down the basement stairs that breakfast is ready any minute now.
Posted by Canuck on October 21, 2010 at 8:38 AM · Report this
OutInBumF 18
@13- I turned of un-registered comments months ago. Keeps me calm and serene, instead of frothing mad when I read SLOG. I'm amazed at what I don't miss.
Posted by OutInBumF on October 21, 2010 at 8:39 AM · Report this

ah, so glad Bob AND Doug could weigh in-

eh?
Posted by Great White North on October 21, 2010 at 8:42 AM · Report this
right.

calm and serene.

just don't forget to take two of the pink pills every morning...
Posted by Nurse Ratchet on October 21, 2010 at 8:44 AM · Report this

registration?

why?

Danny loves having us here-

he is an intellectuomasochist-

he requires a stiff dose of intellectual humiliation before he can get off (it's not like Judge Judy reruns are on 24/7 after all...)
Posted by thank you sir! may I have another? on October 21, 2010 at 8:49 AM · Report this

so mommy caught you?

explains a lot......
Posted by long cold canadian winter nights on October 21, 2010 at 8:50 AM · Report this
Vince 23
Unregistered Off! Ahhhh! No more turds!
Posted by Vince on October 21, 2010 at 9:00 AM · Report this
HomoLiberalism can only subsist in an intellectual vacuum.

you girls are peddling Edsels in the Marketplace of Ideas....
Posted by Hear No Evil; See No Evil...... on October 21, 2010 at 9:07 AM · Report this
I'm 85 Years Old 25
@11 I did read the article but DID miss what you reposted, still, I'm pretty sure whether or not the local paper decides to print your marriage announcement is not the legal determinant of whether or not it is a legal US marriage and therefore get to stay in the country.

Posted by I'm 85 Years Old on October 21, 2010 at 9:14 AM · Report this
Joe Szilagyi 26
@25 no, it's not a determinant of the legal status of the marriage, but it IS determinant in what could clearly be a case of a refugee status. He came out and it's now unsafe, so the announcement is another piece of legal evidence for refugee status. At least that's how I read it, so them not printing the announcement is a fantastic dick move.
Posted by Joe Szilagyi on October 21, 2010 at 9:21 AM · Report this

" He came out and it's now unsafe..."

not so fast, slick

lets run that little turd through the
HomoLiberalBullShitFilter™
to get a translation:

"He came out as publicly as possible to create the illusion that it's now unsafe..."

Trying to pin anything on the paper is a fantastic dick move.
Posted by You Make the Shit Pie; You Eat the Shit Pie. Bon Apitité! on October 21, 2010 at 9:29 AM · Report this
Wasteroo 28
man if there's one word that gets me riled up it's "homoliberal"
Posted by Wasteroo http://soundcloud.com/comancheclub on October 21, 2010 at 9:39 AM · Report this
@11 Where did you get that? That's not what came up when I clicked on the link.
Posted by nyker on October 21, 2010 at 9:40 AM · Report this
More, I Say! 30
@Joe....where....was the other part of the article that mentions the immigration status? Is my reading comprehension really this low in the morning, or is there more to this article than I am seeing on the front page?? Shoot.
Posted by More, I Say! on October 21, 2010 at 9:42 AM · Report this
BEG 31
Two separate things, I think.

First of all the paper's policy is bigoted, regardless of the details of this particular case. Won't print same sex marriage announcements? Are you kidding me? Which century are they operating in, again? Enough reason to send them irate email, etc. for that alone.

The second issue, that of Greg & Aurelio, is infinitely more complicated. Since (federal) immigration does not recognize gay marriage, same sex partners where one is from another country do not have the option that heterosexual couples have: creating a path to citizenship via marriage. I don't know how many refugee/asylum applications are granted, but it's not many. There's no guarantee this will work, whether or not the newspaper prints their announcement. I wish them the best of luck: this is a particularly difficult road to take, and I wish I could say I've seen lots of happy outcomes, but I can't.

(I'm not a big fan of either straight or gay marriage, but this was actually the issue that changed my mind on the whole marriage issue years ago.)
Posted by BEG http://twitter.com/#!/browneyedgirl65 on October 21, 2010 at 9:45 AM · Report this

Please just take Joe's word for it...
His Ass the the Fountain of All Understanding.

Posted by not a troll. really. on October 21, 2010 at 9:47 AM · Report this
Joe Szilagyi 33
Weird, that post I linked has been edited since I posted it and removed that passage. It's still archived here:

Posted by Joe Szilagyi on October 21, 2010 at 9:47 AM · Report this
Joe Szilagyi 34
@32 keep trying. Your responses are so convincing and lifelike someone may yet mistake you for a real boy.
Posted by Joe Szilagyi on October 21, 2010 at 9:48 AM · Report this
RugbySkin 35

Just sayin. Someone attack him with a Cockatrice with a Lure on it please.

Yeah, I went nerd on you. Deal with it.
Posted by RugbySkin on October 21, 2010 at 9:53 AM · Report this
damn dog ate my quotation!
Posted by weird on October 21, 2010 at 9:59 AM · Report this
BEG 37
@35 oh the geekery! Now I have to figure out how to do that with jpgs... :D
Posted by BEG http://twitter.com/#!/browneyedgirl65 on October 21, 2010 at 10:10 AM · Report this
I kind of like them unregistered. They aren't shown unless I click the little plus sign. And I don't. So I don't even see them. ( : =
Posted by subwlf on October 21, 2010 at 10:25 AM · Report this
The immigration angle should have been completely left out of this, it tarnishes the whole story and suggests Aurelio is actually trying to use the wedding announcement game the immigration system.

First, Venezuela has a more progressive record on gay rights than many other Latin America and Western Hemisphere countries. For instance, Chavez openly expresses support for the LGBT rights movement, homosexuality is no longer criminalised in Venezuela, AND, Venezuela has a employment non-discrimination law on sexual orientation (we can't even pass ENDA here in the US!!).

So any suggestions that his life would be in danger in Venezuela because of his sexuality sounds like total BS. He should be applying for permanent residency and then citizenship. If he is obviously having trouble due to some undisclosed immigration problems, he should NOT be seeking asylum saying his life is in danger in Venezuela. First of all, it doesn't even work like that. For asylum, which is what he is describing, you have to flee from persecution in your home country in the first place. It sounds like he is using the wedding and newspaper to try and drum up animosity in Venezuela so he can get residency in the US, and there is absolutely no proof or even reason he would face serious harm in Venezuela.

There ARE actually countries out there where gay men and women do need protection and asylum. Venezuela is not one of them.

Honestly, I think this whole story stinks and sounds like the types of practices that make immigration and very serious issue of asylum more difficult for everyone else.
Posted by Mikederson on October 21, 2010 at 10:31 AM · Report this
@5 - Thanks for posting your letter - I was able to use it to gather my thoughts and send an email of my own. My words were nowhere near as graceful as yours, though!
Posted by subwlf on October 21, 2010 at 10:33 AM · Report this

Posted by Mikederson on October 21, 2010 at 10:34 AM · Report this
woops, sorry it posted my lengthy comment twice!
Posted by Mikederson on October 21, 2010 at 10:35 AM · Report this
I'm with 39.

Sorry boys, you can play all you want on Americans' ignorance of what goes on in the rest of the world, but the fact is that several latin american countries provide more legal rights and protection for gays than the US. Not to mention that the population as a whole is a lot more accepting.

This sounds like blatant manipulation of the refugee process... which I have nothing against if you can do it discreetly and get away with it, but this is likely to make it even more difficult for the true gay refugees.
Posted by Ricardo on October 21, 2010 at 10:43 AM · Report this
merry 44
Here's hoping all the bigot-owned businesses go bankrupt, each and every one.

Amen to that, Dan.

Maybe SOMEDAY when these idiots realize that the color of gay money is just as green as het money, maybe THAT might make a difference in their little pea-brains. Sheesh.
Posted by merry on October 21, 2010 at 11:24 AM · Report this
crivins 45
Given what I know about immigration law (absorption from immigration-lawyer husband), it is not simple to just "get residency" and then "become a citizen". You need some sort of hook - a job, a proposed spouse - under the sort of traditional route, or some sort of threat to safety under the asylum route.

I guess, though, that I'm not sure why the wedding announcement matters for the immigration status at all, if US CIS (dicks, all) don't recognize gay marriage as a way to get US citizenship.

Not printing the announcement, though, is rotten, stupid, bigoted and will hopefully cut their advertisers and subscribers in half. Yes, I'm an optimist.
Posted by crivins on October 21, 2010 at 11:28 AM · Report this
"score one for the trolls...."
Posted by We're Winning!! (sounds totally asinine, doesn't it...) on October 21, 2010 at 1:49 PM · Report this
I honestly even wonder why they're trying to get married here, since I've heard that can severely damage a person's chances of getting residency. I seem to recall 'entering a same-sex marriage with an American resident' can hurt your chances at citizenship, since it's not federally recognized.
Posted by Declaro on October 21, 2010 at 2:10 PM · Report this
TreGibbs 48
The paper can do whatever it wants... no matter how wrong it may be. What will be interesting to find out is that if the newspaper will suffer any repercussions from their ASININE & bigoted decision.
Posted by TreGibbs on October 21, 2010 at 2:11 PM · Report this
I grew up where The Union Leader is the local paper of record. I know people who've worked there. Their politics have been very very conservative for a long time - the most famous episode involving this paper was the ruining of the Muskie campaign with the help of their good friends in the Nixon 1972 campaign.

The good news is that Manchester, NH now has an alternative paper, the Hippo Press, which is much more representative of what the people living there actually believe.
Posted by Thexalon on October 21, 2010 at 2:39 PM · Report this
Joe Szilagyi 50
@49 so it's basically the Seattle Times: a paper owned by a Conservative who does his own thing, his community be damned.
Posted by Joe Szilagyi on October 21, 2010 at 2:52 PM · Report this
luke1249 51
What I don't get about Dan is that he's so compellingly smart and lucid in certain areas, but in others he raises the bar on casual arrogance, and it's really off-putting. The gay rights movement lacks a solid cadre of go-to guys/gals for the media, and Dan would be ideal, but until he learns to control his mouth and his temper, he can't be that.

He also seems to think that apologizing for mistakes is some kind of weakness.
Posted by luke1249 on October 21, 2010 at 7:08 PM · Report this