Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Are Gay People Already Boycotting Walmart?

Posted by on Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 12:26 PM

51zwV93lEPL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
Because if you're not already boycotting Walmart, gays, you should start now:

Staff members from QSaltLake bring this news, noting that over 100 Walmart stores are set to carry a book by Mormon author Janice Barrett Graham, where Graham champions ex-gay therapy and curing people of their homosexuality. The book, Chased By An Elephant: The Gospel Truth About Today's Stampeding Sexuality, is intended to "shed the clear light of truth on today's dark and tangled ideas about male and female, proper gender roles, the law of chastity, and the God-given sexual appetite."

As of this writing, the book has a one-star rating on Amazon. One of those reviews states that the book is about "the author's attempts at changing her son's sexuality to one that she is able to accept." Looks like more Mormon hate wrapped up in a gaudy Always-Low-Prices package to me.

(Thanks to Slog tipper Jacob.)

Vince 1
The list of stores I can't shop at is growing. But I'm not sure that it's appropriate to boycott over some dumb book by some mother who will lose her stupid battle to run her son's life. But whatever.
Posted by Vince on October 12, 2010 at 12:32 PM · Report this
The only thing I've ever purchased at Wal-Mart was a black, leather belt.
I think the woman that wrote this book should be spanked with it.
Posted by An AAGM on October 12, 2010 at 12:33 PM · Report this
the duster 3
Anyone who respects fair labor practices shouldn't support wal-mart.
Posted by the duster on October 12, 2010 at 12:33 PM · Report this
keshmeshi 4
Does this mean that any store that carries the book should be boycotted? And why this book? I find it impossible to believe that this is the only homophobic book in mainstream publication.
Posted by keshmeshi on October 12, 2010 at 12:36 PM · Report this
angel in indy 5
wait, are we still boycotting Target? Cause I need tampons, and I'm running out of places I can buy them.
Posted by angel in indy on October 12, 2010 at 12:38 PM · Report this
Canuck 6
@4 Because every homophobic book in publication hasn't been listed, we should let this one go? Perhaps the difference is that this is aimed at kids who are in need of a "cure," and their parents who seek to have them "cured."

@5 I hear moss works quite well... :)
Posted by Canuck on October 12, 2010 at 12:43 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 7
I refuse to reimburse expenses if my mom shops at Walmart.

But boycott? Nah, just never go there.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on October 12, 2010 at 12:43 PM · Report this
Why would one boycott Walmart for this, but not also boycott Amazon? This doesn't make sense. How about we just boycott the book itself? That seems easy enough. Done!
Posted by steveler on October 12, 2010 at 12:44 PM · Report this
@5 cherokee hair
Posted by steveler on October 12, 2010 at 12:45 PM · Report this
balderdash 10
I don't steal (the occasional illegal download of something I am curious about but not interested enough in to purchase aside) and I abhor theft in general, but I maintain a short exception list of outstandingly evil organizations against whom I would consider various petty crimes to be a political act. Wal-Mart is high on the list.

Unfortunately I'm never AT Wal-Mart, so I have yet to actually profit from this particular self-serving moral flexibility.
Posted by balderdash http://introverse.blogspot.com on October 12, 2010 at 12:47 PM · Report this
This woman's other book, My Darling From The Lions: A Boy Falls to Homosexuality, a Mother Turns to God, a Family Is Changed Forever sounds very delusional. Let's hope that the future brings few sales and a quick trip from the remainders table to the shredder. That poor son of hers is going to be mortified, some time or other when he grows a pair.
Posted by LuisitaPhD on October 12, 2010 at 12:51 PM · Report this
TheMisanthrope 12
This is dumb. You don't boycott a place because of what they sell. You boycott because of what they say and do, especially with your money.
Posted by TheMisanthrope on October 12, 2010 at 12:54 PM · Report this
keshmeshi 13
@6,

Lots of shitty books are published every damn day.

Also, what #8 and #12 said.
Posted by keshmeshi on October 12, 2010 at 1:00 PM · Report this
MacCrocodile 14
Hey, who wants to go to Wal-Mart and poop in a book? Anybody? I know the perfect book.
Posted by MacCrocodile http://maccrocodile.com/ on October 12, 2010 at 1:00 PM · Report this
Dougsf 15
There's dozens of perfectly fine reasons to never set foot in a Walmart, but boycotting them for stocking a book is, ideologically, wrong.
Posted by Dougsf on October 12, 2010 at 1:22 PM · Report this
ROAG 16
If Elliot bay carries that book, do we boycott them?
Posted by ROAG on October 12, 2010 at 1:27 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 17
@13 that's what Cafe Espresso is for. Print it at the UW Bookstore or their other locations nearby.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on October 12, 2010 at 2:24 PM · Report this
Fifty-Two-Eighty 18
I'm boycotting Slog because you posted about this book.
Posted by Fifty-Two-Eighty http://www.nra.org on October 12, 2010 at 2:35 PM · Report this
Free Lunch 19
I know - let's gather up a pile of the book and burn them! Oh, wait. That doesn't sound right.
Posted by Free Lunch on October 12, 2010 at 4:35 PM · Report this
Paul, did the bad bad Mormons hurt you?
you've really got it bad.....
Posted by ......sometimes counseling helps on October 12, 2010 at 5:42 PM · Report this
One problem is that many other bookstores are also carrying this product (the first "hit" I got in a search was for Amazon) There are plenty of good reasons for people to boycott Walmart, imo this just isn't one of them.
Posted by tootired on October 17, 2010 at 6:21 AM · Report this