Thursday, October 7, 2010

Update: The New Gap Logo

Posted by on Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 1:48 PM

So as we noted yesterday, The Gap has an idiotic new logo.

So either because of the overwhelmingly negative online response or because the logo was some sort of weird publicity stunt, the Gap issued the following statement on their Facebook page:

Thanks for everyone’s input on the new logo! We’ve had the same logo for 20+ years, and this is just one of the things we’re changing. We know this logo created a lot of buzz and we’re thrilled to see passionate debates unfolding! So much so we’re asking you to share your designs. We love our version, but we’d like to see other ideas. Stay tuned for details in the next few days on this crowd sourcing project.

Um, yeah. Thanks, but you can bite me, Gap.

Another designer had the same reaction:

"As much as I’d like to just show you the greatest logo I’ve ever made for anyone (…and trust me, if Paul Rand himself saw it, he would realize he was merely the Pippen to my Jordan.) I’d like to be properly compensated for it. Because I put a lot of time and effort into it. And it’s how I earn my living."

Go read the whole thing, and let's continue to judge The Gap today.

starsandgarters 1
Dear god. Not only is that the most hysterically revealing and self-destructive statement a company could make, but it's inviting spec work from a community composed largely of shrieky college drunks and giddy retirees.
Posted by starsandgarters on October 7, 2010 at 1:51 PM · Report this
MacCrocodile 2
The Gap blighted my crops and cursed my children with croup.
Posted by MacCrocodile http://maccrocodile.com/ on October 7, 2010 at 1:54 PM · Report this
danindowntown 3
And every designer in the AIGA gets their panties in a bunch about spec work in 3...2...1...
Posted by danindowntown on October 7, 2010 at 2:02 PM · Report this
Aaron Huffman 4
Don't they have a sweatshop somewhere that can take care of this stuff?
Posted by Aaron Huffman on October 7, 2010 at 2:04 PM · Report this
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on October 7, 2010 at 2:04 PM · Report this
Posted by Levislade http://ballofwax.org on October 7, 2010 at 2:25 PM · Report this
Fnarf 7
@6, oh man, you're good. Can I get some business cards?
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on October 7, 2010 at 2:28 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 8
This is like when Starbucks came out with a logo for their new Home Bland (or whatever) coffee and everyone jumped on it and rightly pointed out it was a very very very bad logo.

And then they pretended they weren't really going to change the logo.

If you're outsourcing your logo work to India and China, of course it's going to suck big time.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on October 7, 2010 at 2:28 PM · Report this
Amnt 9
goatse?

(Gap/gape)
Posted by Amnt on October 7, 2010 at 2:29 PM · Report this
TheMisanthrope 10
@6 Oh MAN, that looks like its done from that guy who did that totally awesome 7-legged spider drawing. RAWK!
Posted by TheMisanthrope on October 7, 2010 at 2:53 PM · Report this
DowntownTaylor 11
Didn't they drop the "The" from their name a long time ago? I think they're just called "Gap" now. Not "The Gap".
Posted by DowntownTaylor http://www.digitaltaylor.com on October 7, 2010 at 2:53 PM · Report this
Posted by Wheedle on October 7, 2010 at 2:57 PM · Report this
Posted by Levislade http://ballofwax.org on October 7, 2010 at 2:57 PM · Report this
boxcar 14
how about just "g" i mean just the letter g. no "the g" just g.

wow! that look like shit, did you get that at g
Posted by boxcar on October 7, 2010 at 3:01 PM · Report this
Chef Thunder 15
It's like Hitler and Pol Pot decided to create a logo just to make the baby Jesus cry.
Posted by Chef Thunder on October 7, 2010 at 3:14 PM · Report this
MacCrocodile 16
@14 - I was thinking of going even further: abbreviate it to just the lower half of a "G". Their slogan can be something like "too lazy and cheap to do our own work since 2010".
Posted by MacCrocodile http://maccrocodile.com/ on October 7, 2010 at 3:14 PM · Report this
I'm thinking something like the new Pepsi logo that shows how their low cut jeans can show off your midriff.
Posted by midwaypete on October 7, 2010 at 3:21 PM · Report this
Free Lunch 18
Boy, the designers for Gap must be pissed. First, because they ended up with the tame output of what can only be design-by-executive. ("Hmmm. I like this element of this one, but this element of that one. Combine them.") No wonder it looks like the cover of a business book.

Second, because now they are outsourcing to an even bigger committee. That's a pretty big fuck-you.
Posted by Free Lunch on October 7, 2010 at 3:27 PM · Report this
Posted by Gordon Werner on October 7, 2010 at 3:35 PM · Report this
Fnarf 20
@13, oh, that's great. But, and I know how touchy you designer fellas are about clients messin' with your stuff and all, but could you maybe just make the bottom part in Algerian instead of Comic Sans? And give the smiley face a little more, you know.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on October 7, 2010 at 3:36 PM · Report this
aardvark 21
@6 Comic Sans!
Posted by aardvark on October 7, 2010 at 3:41 PM · Report this
emor 22
Over and and over again, I read and see things that suggest to me that being a highly paid executive at a large corporation is an easy job because the bar seems to be set so goddamn low. I guess all the hard work is getting to the point where people pay you a lot of money to provide half-baked decisions that are obviously incorrect to anyone else.
Posted by emor on October 7, 2010 at 3:47 PM · Report this
@20 - Man, you drive a hard bargain. This should be just what you're looking for, except that it turns out Algerian isn't a language, so I went for Albanian. That's what you meant, right?

This is my final offer: http://www.denimclature.com/fnarf2.jpg
Posted by Levislade http://ballofwax.org on October 7, 2010 at 3:51 PM · Report this
How can there be "passionate debates" in which everyone is arguing the same side?
Posted by yuiop on October 7, 2010 at 4:01 PM · Report this
this guy I know in Spokane 25
I've been to a Gap exactly once. I was looking at T-shirts or polo shirts or something, and a "helpful" sales chick asked if I'd like any help. I said "Yes, I like this shirt, but I'm trying to find one in blue." She said "We don't have it in blue, but here's a green one! You like green, don't you?" and tried to get me to buy the green one. It was *exactly* like those SNL Gap sketches. After that I just erased them from my radar, and I buy my t-shirts at Target. (Go Bangladesh!)
Posted by this guy I know in Spokane on October 7, 2010 at 4:02 PM · Report this
Here's the ugly truth: it just doesn't matter. The Gap was the darling of Wall Street in the early 90's. They had a good business model: not a lot of styles but lots of sizes and decent quality. The put a whole lot of chino on a whole lot of asses. Today, they're a company out of ideas. This Dilbert-like logo fiasco is just a symptom of the disease. If I had stock, I'd be selling.
Posted by Westside forever on October 7, 2010 at 4:04 PM · Report this
Why companies think they have to fart around with a logo that has worked and worked well for them I don't know. Seattle's Best Coffee changed to the dripping blood logo. Pepsi changes their logo every other week. UPS changed from the clever package with a string to a non-descript flipped corner.
Posted by Weekilter on October 7, 2010 at 4:05 PM · Report this
boxcar 28
im still waiting for the camel toe
Posted by boxcar on October 7, 2010 at 4:06 PM · Report this
Mule Design Studio's response was brilliant.

Posted by Dingle Berries on October 7, 2010 at 4:07 PM · Report this
Dougsf 30
I think the word Fnarf is looking for is "pop."

The Gap is a terribly run company. Most of their money comes from online sales while they're brick-and-mortar stores hemorrhage cash.

They do know how to run a good ad campaign, however. I bet this logo was done in-house, even though much of their marketing isn't, so they either need to clear house, or leave they're branding to an outside firm.
Posted by Dougsf on October 7, 2010 at 4:19 PM · Report this
Dougsf 31
"Their." Again... damnit, what is wrong with me?!
Posted by Dougsf on October 7, 2010 at 4:20 PM · Report this
Fnarf 32
Um, @29, the thing you're linking to is quoted in the article.

@23, that's perfect! Except that, well, Algerian is a font, you know -- a really BEAUTIFUL one, I think, because it comes up first on the list, and it reminds me of....tequila for some reason. Could you do the text in the Algerian FONT? I don't know if you can do those really awesome umlauts in that or not. I can't read Albanian but I assume that says what a great guy I am. Because I am!
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on October 7, 2010 at 4:26 PM · Report this
Yeah, I hate that bullshit! But, unfortunately it works. They will get a shitload of submissions. Not a bad addition to a portfolio. They really should make it a contest with a cash prize though.
Posted by Robin in PA on October 7, 2010 at 5:14 PM · Report this
Jeez, I work in one of the Gap's design departments- what an insult! Of course it's a different department than mine that came up with this piece of trash, and the resulting scam. Typical.
Posted by shivvvers on October 7, 2010 at 5:21 PM · Report this
AmyC 35
MacCrocodile at 2 wins again.

(also, i've been enjoying the fnarf logos.)
Posted by AmyC on October 7, 2010 at 5:37 PM · Report this
Who needs a designer? I just googled "free logos" and found a site where I could make my own. Pretty sharp, if I do say so myself:

Posted by FeralTurnip on October 7, 2010 at 6:03 PM · Report this
Reverse Polarity 37
So lame and pathetic it hurts.
Posted by Reverse Polarity on October 7, 2010 at 8:59 PM · Report this
Let's remember the moment Gap presented their new "Crap" logo to the world with these "Logo Fail" t-shirts!

Posted by SeattleT's on October 12, 2010 at 1:24 PM · Report this