Wednesday, July 7, 2010

He Fights Like a Hornet That's Green

Posted by on Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 3:19 PM

I don't care what anyone says: I'm really excited about this Michel Gondry Green Hornet movie.

It's important to note that Green Hornet will be released in 3D, and I simply can't wait to see what Gondry does with 3D.

I have just DIED from SWOONING over Jay Chou as Kato. I am commenting now from beyond the grave.
Posted by gloomy gus on July 7, 2010 at 3:29 PM · Report this
The problem is that it isn't shot in 3D. It's another conversion after the fact process. So far, I haven't seen one instance where that was any good. Alice in Wonderland was awful. Clash of the Titans looked horrible. And The Last Airbender is supposed to look claw out your eyes bad.

The only good 3D that's been done so far is stuff that was shot with 3D cameras, or stuff that was animated (where it's rendered with two virtual cameras).
Posted by arbeck http://www.facebook.com/arbeck on July 7, 2010 at 4:08 PM · Report this
Merlin D. Bear 3
OMG - Seth Rogen as an action hero?
The End Times are truly upon us.
Put your head between your legs and kiss your ass goodbye.
That being said, I'm probably going to see it opening weekend.
Posted by Merlin D. Bear on July 7, 2010 at 4:09 PM · Report this
I'm psyched! I'm psyched right NOW!
Posted by cracked on July 7, 2010 at 4:23 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 5
@3 he actually was one of the voice actors for Kung Fu Panda. It's not his first action hero role.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on July 7, 2010 at 4:25 PM · Report this
is that Cameron Diaz's giant head?
Posted by jns on July 7, 2010 at 4:29 PM · Report this
Merlin D. Bear 7
@5 There's a wee bit of a difference between voice over work and live action.
I still stand behind my opinion that Seth isn't even in my top 10 of choices for any live action hero role.
But then again, I disparaged TGMD as Lestat in "Interview With the Vampire" before seeing it, and changed my mind after seeing it. The same could happen here.
And yes, crow goes down better with ketchup.
Posted by Merlin D. Bear on July 7, 2010 at 4:32 PM · Report this
Andy_Squirrel 8
you have no taste
Posted by Andy_Squirrel on July 7, 2010 at 4:56 PM · Report this
Reverse Polarity 9
God I can't wait for this current 3D fad to die.

"Avatar" made passably decent use of 3D on occasion, although I liked it just as well in 2D, and without the eyestrain. "Up" was pretty good in 3D. But those are the exceptions. Every other movie I've ever seen in 3D, the effect has been more annoying than anything else. It just comes across as a cheap gimmick to try to increase ticket prices.

Hollywood, please stop.
Posted by Reverse Polarity on July 7, 2010 at 5:26 PM · Report this
vinylsaurus 10
This movie should be called KATO AND THE GUY WHO BANKROLLS HIM
Posted by vinylsaurus http://www.vinylsaurus.com on July 7, 2010 at 5:37 PM · Report this
@10 exactly! Green Hornet is totally Kato's sidekick.
Posted by rummy42 on July 7, 2010 at 6:26 PM · Report this
"Will you come on this adventure with me?"

Fuck you, Hollywood. Fuck you.
Posted by mkdir on July 7, 2010 at 6:36 PM · Report this
Supreme Ruler Of The Universe 13
#3. Yeah, I always loved the original Green Hornet show...just that black lincoln coming through the wall...it was the most hip and elegant of super hero action stories.

The thought of Seth Rogan mugging to the camera every scene sickens me, though no more than Tom Hanks portrayal of Prof. Robert Langdon in "The Davinci Code" as an infantile adult (the look of disgust on his face seeing Audrey Tautou in a short skirt).

Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://www.you-read-it-here-first.com on July 7, 2010 at 8:05 PM · Report this
elenchos 14
Future generations will do some really worthwhile things with 3D. They will look back on what we did, and pity us. I mean anybody who is nerdy enough to take a film history class so obscure that it actually covers early 21st Century attempts at 3D. Film nerds of future generations will not comprehend why our 3D films had such large audiences, or why otherwise decent critics said such non-damning things about this heinous gimmick.
Posted by elenchos on July 7, 2010 at 8:24 PM · Report this
Annag 15
Stoked for everything but Cameron Diaz.
Posted by Annag on July 8, 2010 at 12:59 AM · Report this
that looks really generic.
Posted by planned barrenhood on July 8, 2010 at 2:58 AM · Report this
3D gives me a horrible headache, but Kato looks cool. Maybe I'll see it when it is on DVD.
Posted by Schweighsr on July 8, 2010 at 7:50 AM · Report this
libraboy 18
Sony wanted to ditch this film, but then realized they'd already spent way too much money on it. Save yourselves, and don't see it.

Sony Exec comment: "Why the hell did we use Seth Rogan?"

Stephen Chow was tapped for Cato and director of this film. He declined the honor.
Posted by libraboy on July 8, 2010 at 9:06 AM · Report this
Will in Seattle 19
We need another Seattle actor to play Cato.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on July 8, 2010 at 9:50 AM · Report this
@18, also worth mentioning is that Gondry was given an edict to make this a 3D product after the fact, so it's being reverse-engineered, like the recent M. Knight bombtacular.

At least you'll have the theater all to yourself, Paul, provided you get out and see it while it's still in theaters for that week or so.
Posted by Peter F on July 8, 2010 at 9:59 AM · Report this