Thursday, April 1, 2010

More from the Nexus of Art and Science

Posted by on Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 4:31 PM

dzn_SHANGHAI-EXPO-BY-THOMAS-HEATHERWICK-1.jpg

The Seed Cathedral at the Shanghai World Expo's UK Pavillion is exactly that: a 66-feet-tall shrine accented with 60,000 25-feet-long fiber-optic rods on its exterior, each of which contains one or more seeds encased at its tip.

Absolutely hit the link for close-ups.

Todd 1
That is the most gargantuan anus I have ever seen!
Posted by Todd on April 1, 2010 at 4:41 PM · Report this
Vince 2
I just think it's both beautiful and ominous looking.
Posted by Vince on April 1, 2010 at 4:45 PM · Report this
Fnarf 3
This is how irrelevant we have become. Where do you think the Chihuly Museum's going to fit on the scale of interesting art and architecture? Nowhere, that's where. Chihuly is the squarest of the square, the dullest of the dull, the least imaginative thing imaginable. Shanghai vs. Seattle today is like jet planes vs. oxcarts fifty years ago.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on April 1, 2010 at 4:49 PM · Report this
Vince 4
I think you are exactly correct, Fnarf. But I don't fault Chihuly for that. It's making him an icon with massive museums and ubiquitous exhibits that is at fault.
Posted by Vince on April 1, 2010 at 5:06 PM · Report this
That thing looks like the Fleshlight butt jack.
Posted by apres_moi on April 1, 2010 at 6:04 PM · Report this
merry 6
I think it's purty and I'd like to go inside it... Wonder if it makes a cool 'swooshy' sound?
Posted by merry on April 1, 2010 at 6:06 PM · Report this
STJA 7
This made me say "whoa" before I had any idea what it was. I'm still saying "whoa".
Posted by STJA on April 1, 2010 at 7:24 PM · Report this
Cynic Romantic 8
Old link no work.
New link: http://www.popsci.com.au/2010/04/the-see…
Posted by Cynic Romantic on April 1, 2010 at 8:40 PM · Report this
FreudianShrimp 9
Biggest hyper-drive cube I"ve ever seen.
Posted by FreudianShrimp on April 2, 2010 at 9:07 AM · Report this