Monday, March 15, 2010

An Illustrated Guide to Emerald City Comicon, Part 2

Posted by on Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 1:07 PM

The Stranger's sweet-as-honey bookkeeper, Renee Krulich, went to both days of Emerald City Comicon, too. And she took photos! Like this photo, of Harley Quinn, who is the Joker's girlfriend.

Screen_shot_2010-03-15_at_12.43.20_PM.png
  • Renee Krulich

(An aside: I was pleased to see a woman who dressed as the Heath Ledger Joker this year; it was admirable of her to not want to go the tight-jester-costume route. She wanted to have a fucked-up face and wear baggy purple clothes, dammit, and that's what she did.) And here's Mojo Jojo:

Screen_shot_2010-03-15_at_12.56.16_PM.png
  • Renee Krulich

More photos after the jump.

Here's Dr. Strange, whose footwear, it should be noted, is not in-character, although he got the mustache right:

Screen_shot_2010-03-15_at_1.01.30_PM.png
  • Renee Krulich

There are other heroes at the convention, too, like the thoughtful people who are concerned about the health of your knees:

Screen_shot_2010-03-15_at_1.01.06_PM.png
  • Renee Krulich

Personal bias: I always expect guys who are dressed up as The Crow to be whiners.

Screen_shot_2010-03-15_at_12.49.33_PM.png
  • Renee Krulich

Here is the unlikeliest super-team ever: Superman, some guy I don't recognize somebody from Street Fighter, Rorschach, Female Captain America, The Crow, and Guy With Stuffed Cthulhu. Together, they are...the 4C-4! Remember to credit me in your fanfics.

Screen_shot_2010-03-15_at_12.52.51_PM.png
  • Renee Krulich

There's much more in Krulich's Flickr streams. Here's Saturday and here's Sunday.

Cato the Younger Younger 1
I didn't know the "get a life" conference was in town
Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on March 15, 2010 at 1:11 PM · Report this
Thanks for this. I wasn't able to go (even tho Wheaton, Spiner, and Nemoy were there) :(
Posted by kersy on March 15, 2010 at 1:15 PM · Report this
The one you don't know is Akuma, from Capcom's Street Fighter games.
Posted by supergp on March 15, 2010 at 1:22 PM · Report this
Renée Krulich (Nay) 4
I love my "get a life" life!

Superman stuffed his package too.
It was awkward, but amusing.
Posted by Renée Krulich (Nay) on March 15, 2010 at 1:29 PM · Report this
@4: Less awkward than the Captain America last year who had missed the fact that he really needed a cup under those tights. He wound up walking around most of the con with his shield held in front of his crotch.
Posted by supergp on March 15, 2010 at 1:32 PM · Report this
shuvoff 6
Yeah, #1

People enjoying what makes them happy. Super lame, indeed.
Posted by shuvoff on March 15, 2010 at 1:58 PM · Report this
Dee 7
Harley is supposed to have legs and breasts. (me-ow)
Dr. Strange seems to be with his mother.

Kudos to them all for dressing up, though. Still, needs more sexy.
Posted by Dee on March 15, 2010 at 2:11 PM · Report this
Mattini 8
That Mojo Jojo is pretty awesome.
Posted by Mattini on March 15, 2010 at 3:02 PM · Report this
Renée Krulich (Nay) 9
There were some sexy, sexy people around. But between blurry photos, too many people and not being able to photograph them it limits what you end up with. But I think a lot of the people are sexy.

@5 Ooooh snap!
Posted by Renée Krulich (Nay) on March 15, 2010 at 3:06 PM · Report this
calling Eric Draven "The Crow" is like calling Pike Place Market "Pike's Place"
Posted by thunderchaps on March 15, 2010 at 3:57 PM · Report this
pasteyboy 12
@1
Your fucking profile pic is of "Tigger"!!! You have no right to judge anyone. Now go back to crying into your pint of Ben & Jerry's.
Posted by pasteyboy http://pjorno.com on March 15, 2010 at 4:57 PM · Report this
Rotten666 13
I saw a five year old dressed as a Dalek. He said EXTERMINATE as I took his pic. I then commended his father for doing a fine job raising his boys.

Made my day.
Posted by Rotten666 on March 15, 2010 at 5:13 PM · Report this
Renée Krulich (Nay) 14
@13 Awesome! Sorry to have missed that.
Posted by Renée Krulich (Nay) on March 15, 2010 at 5:59 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 15
actually, if you look at the second link on this story, you'll see someone dressed up as Tigger ...
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on March 15, 2010 at 10:30 PM · Report this
Greg 16
Fun fact: Mojo Jojo and Akuma are different costumes worn by the same dude. His name is Chris, and he is awesome.
Posted by Greg on March 15, 2010 at 11:05 PM · Report this
what, no picture of the lady Joker?
I have to say, I've never been to a con before, but between Nimoy and Stan Lee I'm really pissed I couldn't go to this one. were there any kneeling pads in front of their tables?

oh, and @1 - here /you/ are, posting comments about it on the internet. your life is clearly more substantive and exciting.
Posted by Rev. Andrew on March 16, 2010 at 1:54 AM · Report this
Fenrox 18
I do have to admit that the costumes were super awesome this year.
Posted by Fenrox on March 16, 2010 at 10:38 AM · Report this
T 19
I can't believe there are still people who dress up as The Crow. Next you'll be telling me Marilyn Manson is still making music.
Posted by T on March 16, 2010 at 4:31 PM · Report this
I got some exclusive masquerade shots:

And:

Exploring the Comicon: http://www.flickr.com/photos/scotman/set…
(Not all shots here are great, but some are cute or funny.)
Posted by Scotman on March 17, 2010 at 10:22 PM · Report this