Monday, March 15, 2010

An Illustrated Guide to Emerald City Comicon, Part 1

Posted by on Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 12:13 PM

1_Minute_Before_Openning_on_Second_Day.jpg
Did you go to Emerald City Comicon this past weekend? Stranger photographer Jackie Canchola did. For two days, geeks of all stripes flowed into the Washington State Convention Center to let their nerd flags fly without fear of wedgie retribution. The photo to the left (click to enlarge) is one minute before the opening of the second day. I hope they let Darth Vader in before everyone else, or somebody probably got hurt. Like most modern Marvel Comics, you can see Deadpool making a cameo appearance in the background there.

But it's important to note that not everybody dressed like bad guys. This fellow, for instance, did a bang-on Greatest American Hero:

1st_Day0005.jpg
  • Jackie Canchola

There are many, many more huge, fancy photos of celebrities (Spock! Hulk!) people in costume, and body parts signed by Wil Wheaton after the jump.

Here is a viking about to pillage the 25¢ longboxes for all that they're worth:

1st_Day0003.jpg
  • Jackie Canchola

I don't think this guy's bunny suit is at all comic-book related. In fact, I think he might wear it all the time:

1st_Day0002.jpg
  • Jackie Canchola

Venture Brothers-related costumes have become enormous hits at conventions in the last few years. The Doctor Girlfriends are always, invariably, hot. It's time for the Great Pillbox Hat Fetish Revival:

1st_Day0006.jpg

Kiss the head. KISS IT!

1st_Day0008.jpg
  • Jackie Canchola

I don't know who this guy is supposed to be—is that Ultimate Nick Fury in a fur coat?—but he's my new hero, and that second photo of him is my new wallpaper for every computer I own:

1st_Day0009.jpg

1st_Day00010.jpg
  • Jackie Canchola

Probably due in part to the recent Tim Burton movie, there were quite a few Sexy Alices walking around ECCC this year: This Alice does not seem happy with her new Donnie Darko friend.

2nd_Day_0001.jpg
  • Jackie Canchola

Maybe she would have been happier with this Ewok:

2nd_Day_0002.jpg
  • Jackie Canchola

Because the Ewok seems to be a happy guy:

2nd_Day_0003.jpg
  • Jackie Canchola

I didn't wait in line for any of the celebrities, but this guy was thrilled to meet Stan Lee and get his autograph:

Signed_by_Stan__the_man__Lee_1st_Day.jpg
  • Jackie Canchola

The line for Leonard Nimoy was ridiculously long and full of insanely hot women. I talked with a lady last night who thinks Spock is incredibly sexy. She wanted to hate Zachary Quinto in the new movie out of loyalty to the Original Spock, but she couldn't. She was adamant, though, to point out that Nimoy is still the sexiest motherfucker to ever put on pointy ears:

Spock_Security_Second_Day.jpg
  • Jackie Canchola

Lou Ferrigno didn't have a Spock-level line, but the TV Hulk is really holding up well, isn't he?

The_Hulk_Second_Day.jpg
  • Jackie Canchola

And yes, ladies, if you ever wondered, Wil Wheaton does sign breasts:

Wil_WheatonAutograph.jpg

More photos later this afternoon.

Will in Seattle 1
yes, but does he sign sweaters?
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on March 15, 2010 at 12:23 PM · Report this
Fenrox 2
Yeah don't comic-cons always look great through photos? Too bad when you go to them you get to see the big, boring, lack of fun picture. Comic-cons need to take a page from the PAX bible (Something that the Stranger needs to cover WAY more of), PAX is a convention by Video Game nerds and for Video Game nerds.

The Emerald City Comic-Con is just as bad as every other comic-con because they only care about the sale. Everything else comes second to these people. This is not a convention for like minded individuals to come together over their mutual love of comics, this is a way for comic stores in the states surrounding to lose a bunch of money hauling shit to cram down tapped out fans. At PAX, around 70% of the convention is free, your biggest purchases will be food THEN games.

Comics like Video Games are a frivolous expenditure, they are not shelter or food. Fans of comics are very passionate, socially different people that could get together and connect over a mutual love of all things comics. The powers that run this convention need to provide fun free events during the convention that bring people together. Comic role playing groups, a static group written comic over the length of the convention, drawing classes, cosplay dance parties, CONCERTS, CONCERTS, CONCERTS.

I used to know the people in charge 6 years ago and they didn't get it then, and people still don't get it now. The people that run PAX are the creators of The Penny Arcade and you can tell (Especially since they are always walking around) that they LOVE what they do and fight to keep it lovely.
Posted by Fenrox on March 15, 2010 at 12:31 PM · Report this
Telsa Grills 3
Believe it or not . . .
Posted by Telsa Grills on March 15, 2010 at 12:35 PM · Report this
Dee 4
The bunny suit might be in homage to Bunny Boy from Jamaica Dyer's Weird Fishes comic? http://www.jamaicad.com/comic/2008/03/25…

Posted by Dee on March 15, 2010 at 12:38 PM · Report this
I think the Stan Lee autographs cost $45 apiece, and it was $65 for a Nimoy autograph.
Posted by Peter F on March 15, 2010 at 12:45 PM · Report this
Dee 6
@2 - E3 was good, if you wanted a gaming con. It's destruction was part of why PAX got big, from memory. The PAX guys seem really cool and nice, but Tycho's writing style reminds me of my ex, which irks me more than it should.
Posted by Dee on March 15, 2010 at 12:48 PM · Report this
Pimp Fury?
Posted by Gloria on March 15, 2010 at 1:16 PM · Report this
Joe Szilagyi 8
@2 Your entire post is just wrong. You make it sound like ECCC is some dealer show--did you even attend this year? They had panels constantly; there WAS a concert (two if you count Wil Wheaton playing Rock Band for everyone with a bunch of famous comics creators);

All my wife and I did this year was hit up panels and chat with people we know. Matt Fraction was so nice that he chatted with my brother in law on my wife's cell, as he's off deployed in the military currently and couldn't come. I bought one t-shirt (THE CAKE IS A LIE) and then just was social the whole time seeing friends I only get to see once a year and taking in some fun panels and events.

And, I speak from con experience, having done SDCC four times, NYC events a bunch, every ECCC since 2006, every PAX since they came into Seattle from the Eastside, and several APEs in San Fran. ECCC since they moved to the convention center from the fieldhouse have been consistently great. This year was even better and bigger. My first SDCC I lived on the con floor and was miserable by the end. The next year I went to as many events as I could, and had a BLAST.

These things are what you make of them, really. But to say that there's nothing to do is just bullshit.

Also,

"Comics like Video Games are a frivolous expenditure, they are not shelter or food. Fans of comics are very passionate, socially different people that could get together and connect over a mutual love of all things comics"

You both and win lose with this statement. Frivolous=hobby. They're not frivolous, any more than 1) going out for drinks; 2) model airplanes/rockets; 3) fishing; 4) biking; 5) hiking; 6) softball; 7) geocaching; 8) buying novels; 9) any other hobby that involves any kind of fiscal outlay for items or equipment.

And socially different? What, are we all immature retards or social defectives, or just "different"? I saw plenty of people at ECCC (and all other cons) who are perfectly "normal" in every societal sense of the word. They just enjoy reading comics. Or wanted to meet a celebrity. Or whatever else brought them in the door.
More...
Posted by Joe Szilagyi http://www.zombo.com on March 15, 2010 at 1:17 PM · Report this
@2: Dead on. I'm a pretty big comics nerd, and even I'm massively frustrated with the commercially-oriented nature of the con. I only went this year because I got a free badge for helping a friend, and didn't even buy anything. I damn sure wasn't paying $65 for a Nimoy autograph, that wasn't even personalized. Hell, paying $40 a pop for BSG actors' signatures last year seemed excessive to me.

PAX is awesome. It has a clear focus on gamers, rather than game companies. You can have an awesome time at PAX without stepping foot in the expo hall. Hell, I've had good days at PAX where all I did was play board games I'd never seen with people I've never met. Short of the original Quake, I don't think anything's given me as much entertainment value for the money as a PAX badge. :)

2 weeks to NorWesCon, though! That's gonna be a blast, even if I'll be working my butt off during it.
Posted by supergp on March 15, 2010 at 1:19 PM · Report this
Fenrox 10
@Dee, Yeah the difference from E3 to Pax is what the comic-cons should strive for.
Posted by Fenrox on March 15, 2010 at 1:19 PM · Report this
hj 11
@2: The people in the pictures were obviously having fun. Maybe yours is a personal problem?
Posted by hj on March 15, 2010 at 1:22 PM · Report this
Soupytwist 12
I know that eye-patch guy. I'm pretty sure he cosplays EVERY DAY OF HIS LIFE. He is fabulous and we used to ride the same bus, I felt honored just to be on the 56 with him.
Posted by Soupytwist http://twitter.com/katherinesmith on March 15, 2010 at 1:29 PM · Report this
"the man who is the new wallpaper on every computer you own" walks around bellevue, in equally intense dress. has for at least 5 years. it's usually full leather.
Posted by sydvicious on March 15, 2010 at 1:38 PM · Report this
Wicked Virgin 14
I've seen that Nick Fury-looking guy a few times before this. He ALWAYS looks like that. Always the eye patch. And he alternates between pimp and SWAT team suit and leather trench coat, ala some sort of vampire killer. Oh yeah, and his voice is this deep, gravely type. I feel like I'm in a movie every time I see him.
Posted by Wicked Virgin http://goo.gl/nBxVY on March 15, 2010 at 2:03 PM · Report this
The fact that celebrities charge for autographs blows my mind. Seriously?! eff that. If I paid that much for an autograph, I'd REQUIRE that it not be personalized, just so I can sell it on eBay later. And apparently Leonard Nimoy was charging $60 for a photograph. $60! FOR A PHOTOGRAPH! Gah!!
Posted by UNPAID COMMENTER on March 15, 2010 at 2:24 PM · Report this
Joe Szilagyi 16
Why is everyone flipping over celebs charging? This has been the standard routine for what, 20 years at cons? It sucks, sure, but I fail to see how this possibly "ruins" a convention.

I paid my $15, I got in to see some great panels, hang out with some friends, celebrate comics and geek culture, and chat with comics creators (who don't charge for autographs).
Posted by Joe Szilagyi http://www.zombo.com on March 15, 2010 at 3:27 PM · Report this
Hellloooo, Sexy Alice.
Posted by truebabytrue on March 15, 2010 at 3:39 PM · Report this
I didn't pay for anyone's autograph. Why the hell would I do that? I did spend $140 on sketches, but that supports artists who can actually use the support. Also, sketches are great.
Posted by Ben on March 15, 2010 at 3:59 PM · Report this
pasteyboy 19
@2

Half the reason most people go is to find comics and memorabilia that are cheap or hard to find. Yes, Comic Cons are for fans, but most fans of comic books are also collectors. I think ECCC does a great job of catering to both fans and collectors. Plus, if you get there early enough you can literally get bags full of shwag. Also, think of the chaos that would happen if both Stan Lee and Spock were giving out free autographs! They would have been mobbed by freeloading douche bags, like your self.
Posted by pasteyboy http://pjorno.com on March 15, 2010 at 4:51 PM · Report this
Rotten666 20
I go for the screaming deals on Silver Age marvel comics. Sorry, not interested in a cosplay dance off. The con seems overly commercial because it is.
Posted by Rotten666 on March 15, 2010 at 5:24 PM · Report this
The Max 21
Looked to me that sxxy asian alice wuz creaming her panties at Frank the creepy bunny
Posted by The Max on March 15, 2010 at 6:51 PM · Report this
The Max 22
...and now i'm imagining a 3way between sxxy asian alice, frank the bunny, and happy Ewok.
Posted by The Max on March 15, 2010 at 6:53 PM · Report this
These cons really highlight where celebs stand in the pecking order. Leonard Nimoy: hordes of fans, security hovering around, charging a premium fee for his autograph. Lou Ferrigno: no lines, no security at all, and I don't even think he was charging.

Went on Sunday. Bought a couple of T-shirts, a book from an artist who drew a little sketch of me, got some swag, attended a few panels. By far the best one was Wil Wheaton playing Rock Band. Wheaton actually complimented ECCC as one of the best cons last year, and he came back this year, so I take him at his word.
Posted by Max Power on March 15, 2010 at 7:07 PM · Report this
PAX and ECCC are obviously two different kinds of Cons. Which is awesome. I go to both every year and do very different fun things. But @2, without intending any rudeness, your ideas (Except for the concerts, which you've already been corrected on) sound incredibly boring to me. After the show every year, ECCC does a survey, and if a bunch of people listed "Dancing With The Furries" as one of the things they want added for next year, I'm sure they'd find a slot for it.
Posted by Jer on March 15, 2010 at 10:12 PM · Report this
Fenrox 25
@8 Its good that you see the con as improving into what I would like it to be. I did miss the concert! I also agree that the change of venue is important and that the con is getting better I just think it has a LONG way to go.
Posted by Fenrox on March 16, 2010 at 7:04 AM · Report this
Greg 26
I think I know the guy in the Ewok suit. Damn, I should start dressing up in costumes and going to cons.
Posted by Greg on March 16, 2010 at 8:37 PM · Report this
zachd 27
The Ewok costume was excellent.

There was also a Shadowcat/Kitty Pryde with stuffed Lockheed that I quite liked.

I just now saw the Nick Fury/Octopus(?) guy walking through Bellevue in that outfit and was impressed. I thought people were kidding above when they said he often dresses up like that. Well played, sir.
Posted by zachd http://zachd.com on March 17, 2010 at 10:18 PM · Report this
PAX and ECCC are obviously two different kinds of Cons. Which is awesome. I go to both every year anwww.nike-only.comd do very different fun things. But @2, without intending any rudeness, your ideas (Except for the concerts, which you've already been corrected on) sound incredibly boring to me. After the show every year, ECCC does a survey, and if a bunch of people listed "Dancing With The Furries" as one of the things they want added for next year, I'm sure they'd NIKE AIR MAX 2009find a slot for it.
Posted by xiaomei on September 10, 2010 at 11:20 PM · Report this