Monday, February 22, 2010

Karl and Michael Are Getting Married

Posted by on Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 11:45 AM

This is the best news to start off a work-week. Two weeks ago, a Slog commenter named Ben had an idea. The idea was a simple one: Gay couples all across the country who would like to marry should get engaged and post their engagement in local newspapers, saying they plan to hold a ceremony "as soon as it's legal."

Last week, I got an e-mail from Michael Maria, who wrote:

Hi Paul - I took Ben's and your advice from the Feb. 12th post - The Kitsap Sun posted our announcement on their website! We're now officially fiancees. I requested the announcement to be posted in the printed paper on Sunday - I'll let you know if it shows up. We're forwarding it to friends and family - Thanks for suggesting such a simple, positive action to take!

Today, Michael sent a scan of the page that ran in the Kitsap Sun yesterday. Here's a screen shot:

Screen_shot_2010-02-22_at_11.28.32_AM.png
(And if you want to see the whole page, you can download the PDF.)

Congratulations to Karl and Michael for finding each other and making it work, and for being brave enough to make a public statement. This is just beautiful.

Who's next?

Will in Seattle 1
Grats to the happy couple!

You should celebrate and go to the Olympic Medal ceremony just to rub it in ...
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on February 22, 2010 at 11:55 AM · Report this
very bad homo 2
Fantastic!
Posted by very bad homo on February 22, 2010 at 11:56 AM · Report this
leek 3
That is seriously, seriously awesome. To actually see that political statement on the page there makes a real impact. I hope this happens a lot more.
Posted by leek on February 22, 2010 at 11:58 AM · Report this
That is so great. Congratulations to them both.

I'd do it, but my rent boy says he'd have to charge me way extra, especially if I want the ad to feature his real name, whatever that may be.
Posted by gloomy gus on February 22, 2010 at 11:59 AM · Report this
Toad in the Hole 5
Oh, that's just awesome! No one can stop the engagements!! Congratulations
Posted by Toad in the Hole on February 22, 2010 at 12:00 PM · Report this
GlennFleishman 6
Hey, I have a second idea: Any of us who are legal to marry people (I got a Universal Life Church ministry to marry my brother-in-law and his fiancée) should offer to do the official act for free when it's legal for those who want a no-frills marriage before perhaps a far-fancier ceremony.

I volunteer!
Posted by GlennFleishman http://blog.glennf.com/ on February 22, 2010 at 12:05 PM · Report this
V 7
Gorgeous!
Posted by V on February 22, 2010 at 12:06 PM · Report this
It was wonderful to see it in the paper AND the very first engagement listed in the column.

Congrats on the long term time together. True love works wonders!
Posted by Narrows Bridge on February 22, 2010 at 12:08 PM · Report this
J.T. Oldfield 9
Now you should register and have engagement parties/showers until the time comes. ;)

Seriously though, congrats!
Posted by J.T. Oldfield http://bibliofreakblog.com on February 22, 2010 at 12:09 PM · Report this
Hernandez 10
@6 I volunteer as well!
Posted by Hernandez http://hernandezlist.blogspot.com on February 22, 2010 at 12:16 PM · Report this
meggers 11
This is also a great idea for straight couples who have resolved not to marry until the right is extended to all. What a fantastic way to support the issue!
Posted by meggers on February 22, 2010 at 12:21 PM · Report this
Soupytwist 12
I got a little teary-eyed reading that! A 23-year engagement deserves a marriage!
Posted by Soupytwist http://twitter.com/katherinesmith on February 22, 2010 at 12:26 PM · Report this
Here's hoping it will be soon for you, Karl and Michael. Placing the facts in front of folks faces, in their morning/evening paper, is a perfect way to do it! Thank you, and live long and prosper!
Posted by Beth on February 22, 2010 at 12:45 PM · Report this
TVDinner 14
That's terrific, and kudos to the Kitsap Sun for running it and not editing out the part about waiting 'til marriage equality is extended to all citizens of Washington State. I'll bet they get more than one angry letter for that.
Posted by TVDinner http:// on February 22, 2010 at 12:45 PM · Report this
When we see people do this, we should go the website/paper posting it with our APPROVAL. So go to the Kitsap Sun website where this is posted and say something good.
Posted by Bremerton Boy on February 22, 2010 at 12:47 PM · Report this
Julie in Eugene 16
Congrats to the couple! I absolutely love this idea and I get a little chuckle out of the thought of a gay couple doing this in my small hometown in Illinois. The engagement/wedding section is a big deal in the paper there (maybe not as big of a deal as the Police Reports, but still), and it would cause quite a stir... :>
Posted by Julie in Eugene on February 22, 2010 at 1:02 PM · Report this
Yaaaaaay!!!

Congrats!!

This has completely made my day!
Posted by Ben on February 22, 2010 at 1:15 PM · Report this
Good work Kitsap Sun.
Posted by rutabaga pie on February 22, 2010 at 2:07 PM · Report this
Mittens Schrodinger 19
@18 Exactly! There can be no engagement announcement without a newspaper/media outlet willing to print it. Good job Kitsap Sun!
Posted by Mittens Schrodinger on February 22, 2010 at 2:12 PM · Report this
bethm 20
Love it!
Posted by bethm on February 22, 2010 at 2:24 PM · Report this
kim in portland 21
Congratulations, Karl and Michael!

I tip my hat to both of you.

Best wishes,
k
Posted by kim in portland http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/11/fast-paced_video_provides_a_fu.html on February 22, 2010 at 3:12 PM · Report this
ballard dude 22
I wonder if the Seattle Times would follow suit?
Posted by ballard dude on February 22, 2010 at 4:57 PM · Report this
Bill W. 23
This idea is really brilliant and whoever thought it up deserves huge credit. I don’t know if people here realize just how brilliant this idea is.
Posted by Bill W. http://www.seattlegayscene.com on February 22, 2010 at 5:11 PM · Report this
Free Lunch 24
@23 - Yes, much better than those gay man marrying gay women just to make the same point: that's a bit of a head-scratcher, whereas this would make sense to anyone.
Posted by Free Lunch on February 22, 2010 at 6:12 PM · Report this
Please remember this the next time you dinguses are bad-mouthing the other half of the sound :-)
Posted by Bremelo on February 22, 2010 at 7:01 PM · Report this
I just love that they have moms/stepmoms named Eloda and Babe. Way to go, guys!
Posted by Coll on February 23, 2010 at 7:52 AM · Report this
Thanks for the idea. I'm going to send our "engagement announcement" in tomorrow to my local paper and my hometown news. Twelve years is long enough for an engagement! Amen to that!
Posted by ChristweetferB on February 24, 2010 at 2:43 PM · Report this
This is just fantastic. Best wishes to both. This is a powerful witness, I hope they know how meaningful this act is.
Posted by ksparrow on February 25, 2010 at 7:55 AM · Report this
I know gay men and women who have been 'engaged' longer than a lot of straight couples have been married. Congratulations! I wish you all the best.
Posted by Rhaey on March 2, 2010 at 2:16 AM · Report this