Friday, January 15, 2010

Glee & Project Runway

Posted by on Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 9:18 AM

It's gotta be a bad sign—or a good sign, if you dislike the show, which I do—that Glee's producers are already stooping to casting stunts, right? And did anyone catch Project Runway season premiere last night? It looks like a much more talented group of designers than last season—the Los Angeles snooze-a-thon—and there's a girl Portland, Oregon, and a guy from Vancouver, Washington, if you're looking for locals to root for. I liked the winning dress, I thought the right person was sent home, Michael Kors was hilarious, and it looks like we've got two weepers (the crazy Asian lady and the black guy with the big teeth and the southern accent that Heidi had to chase off the runway after he narrowly avoided being eliminated). I couldn't give a shit about last season—I didn't even watch the finale—but I think this one might suck me in.

Akbar Fazil 1
I don't see how anyone can hate Glee but then its mindless entertainment for me tapping into my memories of being in theater and show choir when I was a kid. Everyone has different tastes.

But I don't see this as a casting stunt. I think that is a great idea and look forward to the talent they find. Just think of it as the american idol-ing of Glee.
Posted by Akbar Fazil on January 15, 2010 at 9:21 AM · Report this
Vince 2
I have to wait for the reruns but you make it sound worth watching.
Posted by Vince on January 15, 2010 at 9:23 AM · Report this
My love for Glee is the most embarassing thing that's happened in ages. It's like getting swept away during an industrial musical or getting a boner sitting on the back seat of a moving bus. I'm enjoying myself, but would rather nobody notice.
Posted by gloomy gus on January 15, 2010 at 9:39 AM · Report this
Julie in Eugene 4
How did I miss that the premiere was last night? I was home sick on the couch and everything... Oh well, they re-run them a thousand times anyways. Glad to hear the designers are more talented -- last season's were terrible (though, I did have a soft spot for Irina, whose clothes I would actually wear).
Posted by Julie in Eugene on January 15, 2010 at 9:40 AM · Report this
Jenny from the Block 5
There's already a new season of Project Runway? I thought they were still on the old season.
Posted by Jenny from the Block on January 15, 2010 at 9:52 AM · Report this
Cato the Younger Younger 6
@5, the last season was seriously delayed due to a lawsuit.
Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on January 15, 2010 at 9:56 AM · Report this
Chris in Vancouver WA 7
GO SETH!! Make all the homos in Vancouver (all 3 of 'em) proud of ya!

And Glee is just...fun. It's a good show for people who don't take life too seriously. Dan?
Posted by Chris in Vancouver WA on January 15, 2010 at 9:57 AM · Report this
The Portland chick seems to be the weeper of the season.
Posted by SteveM on January 15, 2010 at 9:58 AM · Report this
gttim 9
I am a big fan of Glee. Sure some episodes have missed the mark, but most of the music numbers are good. I have no trouble with them trying to find unknown talent. I had never heard of the Rachael chick, and she can flat out sing. Most of the other cast members can as well. I would audition by video as well, except I am too old and cannot hold a tune to save my life. (Maybe I will try an American Idol audition instead.)
Posted by gttim on January 15, 2010 at 9:59 AM · Report this
Why all the Glee hate, Dan? How many episodes have you seen? It's been getting better and better.
Posted by puddles on January 15, 2010 at 10:02 AM · Report this
Fnarf 11
THREE weepers. The Portland saddo cried twice. I cried when I saw how boring and repressed her garment was. And Mr. Vancouver WA looks like a 50-year-old emo-cum-rockabilly guy. I can't stand him.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on January 15, 2010 at 10:03 AM · Report this
The chick from Portland is going to be a weeper too, and the guy from Vancouver is going to seriously funk up the place. For better or for worse.
Posted by Hannah in Portland on January 15, 2010 at 10:05 AM · Report this
brandon 13
I'm sorry, but Kristin Chenoweth's "Maybe This Time" from Caberet was AMAZING. Thats why you should watch Glee.
Posted by brandon on January 15, 2010 at 10:23 AM · Report this
TheMisanthrope 14
Seriously? That dress was GOD AWFUL. I don't know what you or the judges saw in it. It looked like something my friend did in 15 minutes by sewing ribbon on a boring top. The bottom was more interesting.
Posted by TheMisanthrope on January 15, 2010 at 10:42 AM · Report this
Sabotage 15
I've never followed the Glee hate. I've introduced so many people to it and every one of them likes it, and it's a diverse group of people. The show has some weaknesses, yeah, its most obvious one being its pretty blatant camp appeals, but the music is generally well done (except for a few numbers that are over-produced) and the humor is smart and quick. Also, it doesn't have a live studio audience. I think its following is as much due to its very smart social media promotion campaigns as it is to its inherent quality, though.
Posted by Sabotage on January 15, 2010 at 10:51 AM · Report this
See, I thought Glee started out great, like Strangers With Candy With Music, and has steadily gotten more like an actual after-school special. I doubt I'll pay attention when it comes back on. "That Rachael chick" btw is Lea Michelle, who came to Broadway fame as the lead girl in the loathesome Spring Awakening. She's a big deal in stage circles.
Posted by SixGables http://sixgables.etsy.com on January 15, 2010 at 11:00 AM · Report this
Is there anywhere to watch Project Runway online? There only seem to be clips on Hulu.
Posted by abcdefg on January 15, 2010 at 11:22 AM · Report this
care bear 18
I loved the winning dress but my roommates and I also really liked the one that lost. I don't know if I'll be able to stand what's-his-face with the southern accent.
Posted by care bear on January 15, 2010 at 11:29 AM · Report this
Mittens Schrodinger 19
It's not really a casting stunt if that's the way they've been casting roles the whole time. It's more a continuation of the norm...which makes sense since the show (Glee) is so ridiculously successful. Just 'cause you don't like it, Dan, doesn't mean it's going off the air anytime soon.
Posted by Mittens Schrodinger on January 15, 2010 at 11:36 AM · Report this
w7ngman 20
How could anyone hate Glee?

"many of the show’s stars were found through a similar nationwide casting call"
Posted by w7ngman http://userscripts.org/users/89370 on January 15, 2010 at 11:48 AM · Report this
LogopolisMike 21
The Glee thing isn't a casting stunt to fix the show (a Jump The Shark/Cousin Oliver moment) -- it's a ratings stunt from the network that brought you American Idol.

They'll do the casting openly in a way that probably isn't really too far from the way they might cast a role anyway and probably make a special about it -- which will please many existing fans, get them more publicity than just a straight forward ad buy, and probably turn some talented kid into the network star he/she has always thought he/she should be.

From a media perspective, it's a winner, not a loser.
Posted by LogopolisMike http://logopolis.typepad.com on January 15, 2010 at 11:59 AM · Report this
michael strangeways 22
Glee is an uneven mess, but it's an entertaining uneven mess...and anything with Jane Lynch in it is incapable of being bad.
Posted by michael strangeways http://www.seattlegayscene.com/ on January 15, 2010 at 12:06 PM · Report this
Womyn2me 23
I think the right dress won PR last night, although I thought it was ugly as hell during the prelimiary discussions.

And watching Glee is fun. I hope for some sort of drinking game, like everytime Rachel flounces out of the room in a huff, drink a beer.
Posted by Womyn2me http://http:\\www.shelleyandlaura.com on January 15, 2010 at 12:10 PM · Report this
I'm glad I'm not the only gay who doesn't like Glee. Then again, I wouldn't be caught dead watching Project Runway, either.
Posted by Drew2u on January 15, 2010 at 12:27 PM · Report this
tournant 25
If I could even sing just a little bit I'd audition for Glee because my crush on Lea Michele (one "l" @16) is HUGE not to mention ridiculous. I can get a tiny glimpse of what the Twihards are feeling, and that's scary.
Posted by tournant on January 15, 2010 at 12:28 PM · Report this
merry 26
I thought both the winning dress and Mr Vancouver's dress were very good. I was especially surprised by Mr Vancouver - thought that was a gutsy and interesting first showing. But I also did like Crazy Asian Lady Ping's outfit - it expressed her aesthetic really well, which was the challenge after all (hated her model, though.. don't know why she chose to work with that little girl again). And yeah, I agree, I thought the right person was sent home - that damn dress was fugly.

God I love the Runway. :-/
Posted by merry on January 15, 2010 at 1:02 PM · Report this
Fnarf 27
The best moment of the night was when the guy looked into the camera during one of Ping's many "look at me, I'm being kooky, sewing my dress with my feet here" moments and said "Ping...pong".
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on January 15, 2010 at 1:08 PM · Report this
Megan 28
@17: Try surfthechannel.com or realitytvfan.org. Both of them usually have the episode after a day or so, though often the video quality isn't great.
Posted by Megan on January 15, 2010 at 8:13 PM · Report this
Project Runway's editing's still a bit choppy, though.
Posted by idaho on January 15, 2010 at 11:39 PM · Report this
@17: Runway is available on Lifetime's website a day or two after airing at mylifetime.com
Yay Lifetime! (Hisssss, Bravo. Would it have killed you to put it online for the cable disabled?)
Posted by casnark on January 17, 2010 at 5:20 PM · Report this
eric (the other one) 31
@20. How can anyone hate Glee? Hate might be a strong word, but as a person who doesn't have a taste for show tunes (which is to say, a normal adult hetero male) it doesn't interest me in the least. I also don't have any interest in "High School Musical" or Rob Marshall films.

I used to love Runway, but this last series turned me clean off. I guess I should give the new batch a chance…
Posted by eric (the other one) on January 18, 2010 at 8:29 AM · Report this
There are probably three weepers - there was the girl who had to restart her dress with two hours to go. The first time she was on camera, she nearly broke down, then the actual tears started up next time she was on.

We got a big laugh out of that! This is going to be a fun season if the criers manage to stick around long enough.
Posted by RobotRevolution on January 18, 2010 at 8:56 AM · Report this