and Drunks

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Today in 20-Second Operas Played Entirely on a Little Girl's Face

Posted by on Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 9:20 AM

As Break.com user ssproair explains:

This fourth grade girl thinks she is about to give a school report on where her Dad is stationed in Iraq and is surprised when he shows up for her report.

What that sentence looks like in real life:

Sniff and hurrah. Thanks for the heads-up, MetaFilter.

Dammit Schmader, those videos always make me cry.
Posted by Luckier on November 4, 2009 at 9:24 AM · Report this
Lacking Creativity 2
I don't think I've ever began to cry that quickly. It took less than a second before the tears were running down my face.
Posted by Lacking Creativity http://www.lackingcreativity.com on November 4, 2009 at 9:25 AM · Report this
Asparagus! 3
I wish I had someone I could be that happy to see.
Posted by Asparagus! on November 4, 2009 at 9:29 AM · Report this
MyNameIsNobody 4
Oh, that is so NSFW. Now I have to go to a meeting with wet, red eyes.
Posted by MyNameIsNobody on November 4, 2009 at 9:31 AM · Report this
Andrew Cole 5
Even without sound, that's a gutpunch.
Posted by Andrew Cole on November 4, 2009 at 9:31 AM · Report this
@2, me either. I'm not a big crier but damn if I didn't start bawling about 20 seconds in. How nice that he got to be there.
Posted by fletch on November 4, 2009 at 9:33 AM · Report this
Enigma 7
I barely held it in, and when I described it to my coworker she started to tear up.
Great video.
Posted by Enigma http://washingtonunitedformarriage.org/ on November 4, 2009 at 9:35 AM · Report this
onion 8
cried.
Posted by onion on November 4, 2009 at 9:37 AM · Report this
onion 9
goddammit. i watched it again. WHY are we sending our parents into such danger? To Iraq, to Afghanistan, where they could be killed, and little girls could lose them? Did you see her cry? Do we all realize how many children out there are living with the knowledge that their parents could die at any moment?
Think about the difference between that girl and any others in the room that don't have a parent in harm's way. Think of what she lives with.

Think about why we are all crying. Then ask again why we are doing this.
Posted by onion on November 4, 2009 at 9:42 AM · Report this
Cried then regretted what a ripe target for mawkishness I am. Like at the end of Brokeback Mountain.
Posted by gloomy gus on November 4, 2009 at 9:45 AM · Report this
BTP 11
cried. I'll never forget the emotions of seeing my Dad return home from Desert Storm - the most euphoric feeling I've ever experienced.
Posted by BTP http://www.belltownpeople.com on November 4, 2009 at 9:49 AM · Report this
nb 12
beautiful. such an uplifting moment on a bittersweet morning. more please.
Posted by nb on November 4, 2009 at 9:52 AM · Report this
Matt from Denver 13
Um, what 1-12 said.
Posted by Matt from Denver on November 4, 2009 at 9:57 AM · Report this
Lola, Missing Iowa City 14
what 1-13 said.
Posted by Lola, Missing Iowa City on November 4, 2009 at 9:58 AM · Report this
Lola, Missing Iowa City 15
what 1-13 said.
Posted by Lola, Missing Iowa City on November 4, 2009 at 9:59 AM · Report this
nicholaus 16
1-15, can you hand me a tissue as well?
Posted by nicholaus on November 4, 2009 at 10:06 AM · Report this
Zoroastronomer 17
Choked up. Instantly. OMG, that is the sweetest thing I have seen on SLOG in forever.

@9, time to put pressure on your elected officials. Hate on my man all you want, but he wants these men, women, and yes, 18 yr old boys and girls home as much as anyone.

Posted by Zoroastronomer on November 4, 2009 at 10:09 AM · Report this
I felt a little like that girl when I heard my nephew, a Marine, is leaving Afghanistan early next spring.
Posted by Peter F on November 4, 2009 at 10:13 AM · Report this
DOUG. 19
Bring 'em home, Obama.
Posted by DOUG. http://www.dougsvotersguide.com on November 4, 2009 at 10:13 AM · Report this
michael strangeways 20
It needed more cowbell.
Posted by michael strangeways http://www.seattlegayscene.com/ on November 4, 2009 at 10:15 AM · Report this
Violet_DaGrinder 21
I'm one of those people who will cry at commercials, so don't mind me, but did you notice her peace-sign shirt? Fuck.
Posted by Violet_DaGrinder http://www.imeem.com/jukeboxmusic51/music/y1malqpG/prince-the-new-power-generation-featuring-eric-leeds-on-f/ on November 4, 2009 at 10:15 AM · Report this
kim in portland 22
Wept again.
Posted by kim in portland http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/11/fast-paced_video_provides_a_fu.html on November 4, 2009 at 10:22 AM · Report this
Her peace shirt is really a statement.
Posted by balmonter on November 4, 2009 at 10:30 AM · Report this
singing cynic 24
Dammit.
Posted by singing cynic on November 4, 2009 at 10:34 AM · Report this
*raises an eyebrow*
Not only did I feel no inclination to cry, I'm actually really surprised to see these comments about crying. Shit. I guess I'm heartless?
Posted by Dee on November 4, 2009 at 10:37 AM · Report this
Matt from Denver 26
@ 25, maybe just not sentimental? 's okay so long as you thought it was sweet.
Posted by Matt from Denver on November 4, 2009 at 10:42 AM · Report this
Porcupine 27
Am I the only one that finds these made-for-video reuniony surprises trite and infantile? They are also voyeuristic and even borderline sadistic. Emotionally charged and intimate moments should be, well, intimate not shared with a kid's class and the fucking whole internets. What are the adults thinking? It would be cool to have this on video?
Posted by Porcupine on November 4, 2009 at 10:49 AM · Report this
@25. yes you are.
Posted by balmonter on November 4, 2009 at 10:52 AM · Report this
Add me to the weepy ones, but on second viewing I'm wondering why the two portions of the video are at different times (location, shirt and hair are different).
Posted by avatar on November 4, 2009 at 10:55 AM · Report this
Wouldn't it have been a lot nicer to let her know her dad was out of danger several days ago?

I mean, the surprise is cool and all, but kind of self serving on the parent's part.
Posted by dwight moody on November 4, 2009 at 10:59 AM · Report this
@26. Why yes, I suppose I did think it was sweet. Thank you - I feel better now.
Posted by Dee on November 4, 2009 at 11:00 AM · Report this
Max Solomon 32
if we weren't agressive & militarized imperialists we wouldn't have so many of these teary, heartwarming moments to post online. it makes the pentagon's budget all worth it.
Posted by Max Solomon on November 4, 2009 at 11:13 AM · Report this
Nofo 33
Holy crap. That even melted MY cold, black heart.
Posted by Nofo http://nofo.blogspot.com on November 4, 2009 at 11:23 AM · Report this
Rotten666 34
Holy fuck, I teared up you prick. What is wrong with you guys?
Posted by Rotten666 on November 4, 2009 at 12:19 PM · Report this
best hug ever
Posted by Kristi in Kitsap on November 4, 2009 at 2:06 PM · Report this

I can't imaging the feeling of hugging your daughter after being away, for a long time, in a war zone.

I'm about to go pick up my daughter from frickin' daycare and give her a huge hug.
Posted by balmonter on November 4, 2009 at 3:43 PM · Report this
where are all the youtubes of little 10 year old girls getting surprised by the two guys in dress uniform who just came to the house to tell her and her mother that Dad's dead and in too many pieces to be assembled in a coffin? I guess that's not so adorable. But it's happened several thousand times already. But we're not allowed to see that cute little crying face, are we? Only the tears of surprised joy. What a country.
Posted by Steve Greenfield on November 6, 2009 at 5:07 AM · Report this
freedom isn't free, you little pussy bitch
Posted by embarrassed for you on November 7, 2009 at 9:04 AM · Report this
The video is better without sound. then you don't have to hear the dumbasses laughing at the surprise and joy on the face of a little girl who's reunited with her father.
Posted by I Apparently Have a Heart on February 19, 2010 at 8:29 PM · Report this