Wednesday, October 14, 2009

This Is Scary

Posted by on Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 1:04 PM

crackerchristianwebdesign.png
ASSME links to the first really scary story of this Halloween season: A North Carolina preacher is a-puttin' together a good-old-fashioned book burnin' for October 31st:

Come to our Halloween book burning. We are burning Satan's bibles like the NIV, RSV, NKJV, TLB, NASB, NEV, NRSV, ASV, NWT, Good News for Modern Man, The Evidence Bible, The Message Bible, The Green Bible, ect. These areperversions of God's Word the King James Bible.

They are also burning non-Christian music like heavy metal and rap. And they are burning books by illegitimate Christian writers like Tim LaHaye, Mother Theresa, Billy Graham, and "Mark Driskol." And they are serving fried and barbecue chicken. You can find their fascinating website here, but you should be warned that it automatically plays a song about how the King James Bible is the one true bible.

Rob in Baltimore 1
Hey! If the King James Bible was good enough for Jesus, it's good enough for me!!!
Posted by Rob in Baltimore http://www.wishbookweb.com/ on October 14, 2009 at 1:11 PM · Report this
Matt from Denver 2
LOL! Only the KJV is the word of God? Those dopes deserve to be thoroughly patronized by other evangelicals, as will happen.
Posted by Matt from Denver on October 14, 2009 at 1:13 PM · Report this
Burning Pastor Mark Driscoll's holy works? Outrage!

The Mars Hill Crew needs to rumble up on these fools.

This country needs a good Holy Civil War. A "Let God Sort 'Em Out" kinda thang, seen?
Posted by Mudda Mouchette on October 14, 2009 at 1:17 PM · Report this
Heather 4
My cat prefers the King James Bible in her litter box.
Posted by Heather on October 14, 2009 at 1:19 PM · Report this
Urgutha Forka 5
I have no problem with them burning a bunch of bibles.
Posted by Urgutha Forka on October 14, 2009 at 1:21 PM · Report this
I hope they are also planning on burning copies of the Tanakh, Septuagint, Vulgate and all of those other devil texts.
Posted by Reg on October 14, 2009 at 1:21 PM · Report this
Fnarf 7
This is a proud American tradition, both bookburning and the burning of heretical bibles. Sounds like a good time! But where are the Catholic bibles? No New Jerusalem, no Challoner Douay-Rheims?
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on October 14, 2009 at 1:23 PM · Report this
balderdash 8
I wonder how all these whackjobs decided that the KJV was the "legitimate" bible, anyway? It's still a translation, right? And pretty much all modern scholarship agrees that it's not even a very accurate one. Fucking weird.

I hate the idea of burning books but if they have to burn them, I'm glad it's bibles. Couldn't happen to a nicer piece of deeply unpleasant, muddled, overrated bronze-age propaganda.
Posted by balderdash http://introverse.blogspot.com on October 14, 2009 at 1:23 PM · Report this
Dougsf 9
Lord knows the King James Version was beyond influence.

I'd actually would'a thought Bible freaks would be more into the NASB than anything, but I guess a quest for accuracy—or curiosity in general—isn't exactly the hallmark of someone that'd attend a book burning.
Posted by Dougsf on October 14, 2009 at 1:28 PM · Report this
Matt from Denver 10
@ 7, I think the Good News is Catholic. I certainly remember it being around my Sunday School 30 years ago.
Posted by Matt from Denver on October 14, 2009 at 1:32 PM · Report this
So where does that Conservepedia "translation" come in to this?
Posted by Chris B http://eccentric-orbit.org on October 14, 2009 at 1:37 PM · Report this
@7 and @10 - Good News is a modern English version with dubious scholarship and translation work. Catholics in the U.S. use the New American Bible, in Canada they use the NRSV or the RSV, and in Europe they mostly use the Jerusalem.

Traditionalist Catholics (the ones who thing the Mass should only be in Latin) tend to use the Douay-Rheims, but anyone with any education at all would tell you that the translation and scholarship in that version are even worse than the KJV.
Posted by Sheryl on October 14, 2009 at 1:43 PM · Report this
@8 We're talking about people who don't understand that the OT was written in Hebrew and Aramaic here, that the NT was written in Greek and that Jesus was a Jew.

The more subtle among them may grasp that the KJV is a translation; they tend to assert that it was divinely inspired.

@11 Naturally this means we must burn the whole Internet!
Posted by Corydon on October 14, 2009 at 1:44 PM · Report this
COMTE 14
Bet they wish they could find a couple of witches to throw on top of that pyre for good measure. Otherwise, it would be sort of a waste of good ignition material.
Posted by COMTE on October 14, 2009 at 1:54 PM · Report this
I could get behind burning all of Tim LaHaye's books..........
Posted by light me up on October 14, 2009 at 1:56 PM · Report this
I hear they're burning some crosses that don't rise to their standards afterwards.
Posted by Jack Chick on October 14, 2009 at 1:58 PM · Report this
@6 - Indeed, they should also burn the Wycliffite bible, which the King James is based on. For the record, the Wycliffite bible was considered heresy at the time it was produced (no vernacular bibles! they are the tool of the devil!) -- some of the early owners of English bibles were burned at the stake, because the Church insisted that Latin was the only language which could adequately communicate the word of God.
Posted by arts&letters on October 14, 2009 at 2:06 PM · Report this
Andy 18
What a coincidence. I will be burning bibles on Halloween too...! I think we should coordinate.
Posted by Andy on October 14, 2009 at 2:10 PM · Report this
@17 Tamen Latin EST solus lingua ut can adequately defero vox of Deus.
Posted by Jokus Obvius on October 14, 2009 at 2:18 PM · Report this
Andy Niable 20
they are also still trying to figure out how to play CDs backwards so they can prove Satanic Backmasking lurks in Rock Music...
Posted by Andy Niable on October 14, 2009 at 2:35 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 21
As I was saying to Jesus last week "If you can't say it in Aramaic, at least say it in Hebrew with feeling, but avoid saying it in Greek or you'll attract people who hate women."
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on October 14, 2009 at 2:38 PM · Report this
Another proud moment for the Tar Heel state. Jesse would be proud.
Posted by Jakey on October 14, 2009 at 2:40 PM · Report this
kim in portland 23
They know how to put the fun in fundamental.
Posted by kim in portland http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/11/fast-paced_video_provides_a_fu.html on October 14, 2009 at 3:05 PM · Report this
It's indicative of the sort of echo chamber these people have set up for themselves that at this point they're burning EACH OTHER'S books for being the work of the devil.To be fair, I also think Tim LaHaye's Left Behind books are evil, although I sincerely doubt for the same reasons.
Posted by Beguine on October 14, 2009 at 3:16 PM · Report this
JR Labrador 25
Fascinating book on the subject:

Posted by JR Labrador on October 14, 2009 at 3:21 PM · Report this
The Amazing Jim 26
English: god's language
Posted by The Amazing Jim http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?id=100000076496291&ref=profile on October 14, 2009 at 3:37 PM · Report this
The Amazing Jim 27
Remember people, English is god's language.
Posted by The Amazing Jim http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?id=100000076496291&ref=profile on October 14, 2009 at 3:41 PM · Report this
I like how "soft and easy" and "oldies but goldies" is considered "satan's music"!
Posted by pblake123 on October 14, 2009 at 3:52 PM · Report this
TVDinner 29
I prefer the Lolcat translation of the bible, myself.
Posted by TVDinner http:// on October 14, 2009 at 4:07 PM · Report this
Sir Vic 30
Spawn of Jack Hyles. Talk about frozen in time!
Posted by Sir Vic on October 14, 2009 at 4:15 PM · Report this
Wicked Virgin 31
Can we throw some copies of Twilight on that pile?
Posted by Wicked Virgin http://goo.gl/nBxVY on October 14, 2009 at 4:51 PM · Report this
Vince 32
Those religious fanatics are always burning books and recordings. I remember when they burned Elvis Presleys records because he swung his hips in a lacivious way. Then they burned Beatles records because John said they were more popular than Jesus. Fucking nutjobs!
Posted by Vince on October 14, 2009 at 5:21 PM · Report this
emma's bee 33
@7, 10 and 12: My RC catechism classes in the mid-70s (when I was about 10) used the Good News version. Though long an atheist, I'll never forget its line drawings (recently memorialized at
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magaz… )
Posted by emma's bee on October 14, 2009 at 5:41 PM · Report this
trstr 34
I was a witness to a book*/music burning at a Christian music festival a couple decades ago. I'm still scrubbing myself with brillo pads trying to remove that mark from my personal history.

(Well, by books, I mean copies of Hit Parader. You might think that would lessen the shame... but not by as much as you'd think.)
Posted by trstr on October 14, 2009 at 5:55 PM · Report this
gttim 35
Hey remember. You have to buy a book, album or CD to burn it! So as my musician friends say.... have at it!
Posted by gttim on October 15, 2009 at 6:34 AM · Report this
Greg 36
What, no burning the Koran? Fuckin' pansies.
Posted by Greg on October 15, 2009 at 8:03 AM · Report this
Fifty-Two-Eighty 37
Aw, hell, Greg, you don't burn the Koran, you use it as toilet paper.
Posted by Fifty-Two-Eighty http://www.nra.org on October 15, 2009 at 8:55 AM · Report this
Sir Vic 38
@36 Good point. If this preacher dude is looking for publicity, the Koran would put him on the map for sure!
Posted by Sir Vic on October 15, 2009 at 9:03 AM · Report this
Religion is silly.
Posted by ThisGuy on October 15, 2009 at 4:06 PM · Report this
Please tell me this is a hoax. This sure looks like one. NO Christian could be this dumb, right?
Posted by pessimist on October 18, 2009 at 9:53 AM · Report this
Mike Licht 41
"The Small Church with the Big Carbon Footprint."

See:

Posted by Mike Licht http://NotionsCapital.com on November 6, 2009 at 8:52 PM · Report this