Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Eyman Refused to Participate

Posted by on Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 12:19 PM

Initiative_1033-250.jpg
At 1:00 p.m., the "No On 1033" campaign will answer your questions in Electionland about Tim Eyman's latest attempt to fuck over the state. You'd think Eyman would relish this chance to talk directly to you, the beleaguered taxpayers of Washington, without us liberal clowns here at The Stranger in the way. But no. Eyman won't do it (even though he reads Slog and routinely comments on posts about his body cadaver of work).

Initiative 1033 would have dire ramifications. Here's what we said in our endorsements, which we just published online a scant few minutes ago:

His latest initiative, like all the others he's dangled in front of voters in years past, is appealingly simple. Initiative 1033 would essentially cap the amount of money that the state, county, and city governments could collect from taxpayers and base this cap on how much those governments collected the previous year (adjusted for inflation and population growth). Any surplus would go toward reducing property taxes.

Almost sounds reasonable, huh?

But this initiative would lock Washington into its current budget forever—the worst budget the state has had in decades, due to the recession—and prevent lawmakers from making necessary investments in people and infrastructure when the economy improves. Picture this lean year, when we had to lay off roughly 3,000 teachers and cut basic health services for 40,000 people, as the best it's ever going to get from here on out.

Who would the initiative hurt most, why are groups across the state trying to stop it, and why won't Eyman defend the proposal that he put on the ballot? Ask HERE.

UPDATE: Tim Eyman has left a comment on this post. It's an old email exchange we had—in which Eyman says he's too busy to answer your questions—but he isn't too busy time to dig through his old emails and comment on blog posts.

Cause he's one of the biggest douche bags in the state. I say "one of" because I want to make sure there's room for Ken Hutcherson and Susan Hutchison as well.
Posted by I Got Nuthin' on October 14, 2009 at 12:26 PM · Report this
balderdash 2
Tim Eyman has no redeeming qualities whatsoever. He is a failed human being.

His initiatives, and his utter imperviousness to exploring, understanding, or giving a shit about their devastating consequences for anyone and everyone who is not him, are all the statement you need about his positions.
Posted by balderdash http://introverse.blogspot.com on October 14, 2009 at 12:31 PM · Report this
Email exchange between Dominic and Eyman from September:

From: Dominic Holden [mailto:dholden@thestranger.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 15, 2009 4:28 PM
To: Tim Eyman
Subject: Re: The Stranger's Electionland Online Town Hall

Thank, Tim. Sorry, didn't mean to pester you. I know you're busy.

I'll be in touch as stories come up.

Dominic Holden,
Reporter, The Stranger

On Sep 15, 2009, at 2:07 PM, Tim Eyman wrote:

you've been calling repeatedly asking for my commitment and I've responded each time that I don't know my schedule this far out.

So let me resolve it now: I can't do as many of these media things this year as I used to anyway and so I won't be able to participate in any of the Stranger's election events, ed board meetings, etc.

If you decide to do another story on I-1033 and want to hear our side, feel free to call me.

Thanks.

Regards, Tim Eyman
Posted by Tim Eyman on October 14, 2009 at 12:59 PM · Report this
Max Solomon 5
when your goal is to cripple the state's ability to collect revenue & govern, this year is the perfect year to lock in 1033.
Posted by Max Solomon on October 14, 2009 at 1:10 PM · Report this
Joe Szilagyi 6
Yo, Tim. I'm really happy for you. I'm gonna let you finish, but you had the worst Initiative of all times.
Posted by Joe Szilagyi http://twitter.com/joeszi on October 14, 2009 at 1:11 PM · Report this
w7ngman 7
I wouldn't waste my time answering questions for people that are just going to vote NO, either.
Posted by w7ngman http://userscripts.org/users/89370 on October 14, 2009 at 1:14 PM · Report this
w7ngman 9
Seriously, read the questions. It's all "how many teachers will get fired from 1033?" and "how many dead babies will 1033 eat?"

The only worthwhile question is "Since 35% of us are renters who will get nothing back, why should non-homeowners vote for this?" and I could give you Eyman's answer to that question in my sleep.
Posted by w7ngman http://userscripts.org/users/89370 on October 14, 2009 at 1:21 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 11
Guess Comrade Tim E doesn't want all the downmods from real people on his Electionland "replies".

Coward.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on October 14, 2009 at 1:45 PM · Report this
Sargon Bighorn 12
"Initiative 1033 would have dire ramifications" What worse can happen? Doom and Gloom. We're already in a world of hurt with unchecked spending on the part of Olympia and 1033 has not been voted on. Throwing more and more and more money at problems DOES NOT solve the problems. Think people. Again, if you people have the extra cash laying around please feel free to send it to Olympia, with my blessings and yours. Stop with "The End is Near" crap.
Posted by Sargon Bighorn on October 14, 2009 at 1:53 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 13
Nah, I'd rather spend it on tarring and feathering Tim E.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on October 14, 2009 at 1:54 PM · Report this
COMTE 14
Busy? What the fuck does he have to do now that the Initiative has been filed, but sit back, answer a few questions, and collect his paycheck?

I mean, it's not like he's out distributing voter pamphlets or ringing doorbells, right?
Posted by COMTE on October 14, 2009 at 2:02 PM · Report this
DOUG. 15
Didn't Eyman borrow $250,000 against his house to run this campaign? Maybe he's busy shopping for a tent.
Posted by DOUG. http://www.dougsvotersguide.com on October 14, 2009 at 2:22 PM · Report this
Soupytwist 16
@12 - Except we stopped "throwing money at problems" in the late 70s when the tax base was tits up. Then the 80s * 90s happened and spending declined in relation to the amount of revenue that was being generated by business in the state.

Libertarians & conservatives have been steadily reducing spending on public works & social services for 30+ years. I-1033 is more of the same AND IT FIXES NOTHING. It makes it harder to spend on even basic works and services.

How is that a good idea?
Posted by Soupytwist http://twitter.com/katherinesmith on October 14, 2009 at 2:35 PM · Report this
heywhatsit!? 17
Jesus H Christ we're so fucked.
Posted by heywhatsit!? on October 14, 2009 at 2:39 PM · Report this
watchout5 19
I love how Tim tries to gain supporters. "I mean like, don't people who read your newspaper pay taxes, they should be begging for this opportunity to put more money in their pocket regardless of the consequences". Education is a right Mr. Eyeman, I'm sorry you don't seem to understand that but I suggest you find a new state to get paid to destroy, we all pretty much think you're a horses ass. I know you love money more than anything in the world, I know your priorities in life are money, money, money and more money but the majority of the people care about more things than just money, take your fascism and get the heck out of my state.
Posted by watchout5 http://www.overclockeddrama.com on October 15, 2009 at 3:17 AM · Report this
Steve Zemke 20
It would be reasonable to have someone watching over high taxes and waste if that was what we really had in Washington State but we are not a high taxed state. We need tax reform to make our taxes fairer and less regressive but that is not Eyman's goal. He is just blindly anti tax without any integrity.

Two examples - First - his continued use of false and misleading figures when he talks to the public. The conservative Tax Foundation says that Washington State ranks in the bottom third of states in terms of state and local tax burden. We rank 35th out of 50. Eyman uses figures that add in Federal income tax and says we rank 8th highest in the Voters Pamphlet. He ignores the fact that we are 8th highest in income per capita and also that I-1033 does not deal with Federal taxes. That's deceit on Eyman's part as he tries to sell the public a bill of goods for state and local taxes out of control.

Second - if you're really concerned about fixed income seniors and struggling working families then you don't propose a wealth transfer system that taxes people without property and use it to only reduce taxes for people with property. That's what I-1033 does. It places more tax burden on lower and middle income folks to help those with lots of property.

Eyman has opposed Homestead legislation in Olympia, yet that makes a lot more sense than I-1033. Lowering the taxes on one's principal residence to help people having problems makes sense but reducing property taxes for people’s second homes or investment properties or apartment building doesn't make sense, especially since we don't have a state income tax or other backup for revenue. And yes there are ways to do it that are constitutional, like also giving an exemption for a principal business property which could help small business.

More...
Posted by Steve Zemke http://www.majorityrules.org on October 15, 2009 at 9:31 AM · Report this