and Drunks

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Patrick Swayze In Skatetown USA

Posted by on Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 9:01 AM

NPR is all like, "Patrick Swayze, dead, blah blah blah Dirty Dancing." But this is the movie—and these are the moves—that Swayze ought to be remembered for...

Oh. My. God. I gotta go lay down. More clips from Skatetown USA (1979)—Scott Baio! Ruth Buzzi! Billy Barty! Flip Wilson! Marsha Brady! Horshack! The Unknown Comic!—after the jump.

Baconcat 1
Not a fan, even with Ruth Buzzi and Flip Wilson. They worked together on other things, didn't they?
Posted by Baconcat on September 15, 2009 at 9:07 AM · Report this
hartiepie 2
God that was gaaaaayyyyyyy.....

I kinda miss all that.
Posted by hartiepie on September 15, 2009 at 9:35 AM · Report this
Rob in Baltimore 3
I need to find that on DVD!
Posted by Rob in Baltimore http://www.wishbookweb.com/ on September 15, 2009 at 9:37 AM · Report this
Question: was Hollywood better off when it was run by cokeheads?
Posted by Angus810 on September 15, 2009 at 9:43 AM · Report this
Fifty-Two-Eighty 5
I was always more a fan of Red Dawn myself. But then, I would be.
Posted by Fifty-Two-Eighty http://www.nra.org on September 15, 2009 at 9:51 AM · Report this
boxofbirds 6
Hot!

I wanna see the boys on So You Think You Can Dance try that! They got nothin' on Swayze.
Posted by boxofbirds on September 15, 2009 at 10:03 AM · Report this
these are the moments that make me doubt whether I really am gay.......
Posted by mattie on September 15, 2009 at 10:18 AM · Report this
very bad homo 8
Adding to Netflix immediately.
Posted by very bad homo on September 15, 2009 at 10:41 AM · Report this
Patrick Swayze's greatest movie was Roadhouse.

His second greatest movie was Steel Dawn.

Red Dawn is a distant 3rd.
Posted by dwight moody on September 15, 2009 at 10:59 AM · Report this
seandr 10
As lame as this movie is, I can't help but feel a bit wistful watching it.

The late 70's were so much simpler and sexier.
Posted by seandr on September 15, 2009 at 11:16 AM · Report this
NumberOne 11
hahaha, that was great!
Posted by NumberOne on September 15, 2009 at 11:25 AM · Report this
Irena 12
Awesome! Swayze is SO HOT! Too bad I was too young to appreciate him at the time -- I was all over Scott Baio. Ugh.
Posted by Irena on September 15, 2009 at 11:36 AM · Report this
Geni 13
You know, I was all, Oh, Ghost, Dirty Dancing, Road House when I heard about Swayze, but I'm kind of embarrassed that I forgot City of Joy, the Outsiders, and Point Break. Donnie Darko, Black Dog, To Wong Foo. He wasn't all cheesy romance movies and bad action movies.
Posted by Geni on September 15, 2009 at 1:08 PM · Report this
Bauhaus I 14
I'd just read last month that Ruth Buzzi sold her Hollywood Hills home in July. She's bought the farm (so to speak) in Texas. Her house went for $1.21M which was a steal for a 3,000 square foot house in the Hollywood Hills. Apparently, the house needs plenty of renovation, although it looks far better than anything I've ever lived in.

The rather snarky details are here : http://realestalker.blogspot.com/2009/07…
Posted by Bauhaus I on September 15, 2009 at 2:11 PM · Report this
SRJ 15
Ah, I miss roller disco. And the days when "Kiss off, turkey!" was scathing.
Posted by SRJ on September 15, 2009 at 2:32 PM · Report this
nicholaus 16
This brings back memories of when I used to be a DJ at a roller rink in a small Western New York town.
Posted by nicholaus on September 15, 2009 at 2:58 PM · Report this
saxfanatic 17
@5: I hear you about Red Dawn. It's appalling though, that such a good -perhaps even convincing- film could be made from such a stooopid, NRA fantasy.
Posted by saxfanatic on September 15, 2009 at 3:25 PM · Report this
HA! Tony Zane from breaksk8 (America's best dance crew) could do ANY of those
moves and MUCH MUCH MUCH more! :oP
Posted by sbecktacular on September 15, 2009 at 4:12 PM · Report this
and not look like a total fag doing it...........hahahaa!
Posted by sbecktacular on September 15, 2009 at 4:16 PM · Report this
kim in portland 20
Swayze, was one fine looking man.
Posted by kim in portland http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/11/fast-paced_video_provides_a_fu.html on September 15, 2009 at 5:28 PM · Report this
Uriel-238 21
I'll remember Swayze for his stellar performance in The Day After Tomorrow. Especially the tornado scene.
Posted by Uriel-238 on September 15, 2009 at 7:03 PM · Report this
#16: I used to go to a roller rink in a Western New York town (Hamburg) as a teen for a dancenight called, ahem, "Dreamscape." Hmmm. Wonder if you were the DJ? Small freakin' world.
Posted by Western NY on September 15, 2009 at 7:05 PM · Report this
No way he did every bit of that skating. But yes, oh so edible.
Posted by 64waves on September 15, 2009 at 8:00 PM · Report this