Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Hate Crime on Capitol Hill

Posted by on Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 5:19 PM

Seattle Police are investigating a hate crime that that left two men severely bruised and cut on Capitol Hill the night of Friday, July 24.

According to a recently released police report, two men, one in his twenties and the other in his fifties, were walking away from the gay bar R-Place with friends at 11:00 p.m. when they were verbally harassed by a group of people smoking in front of the Honey Hole on E. Pike St. One of the men confronted the group, demanding an apology. But one member of the group shoved the man to the ground and three other men in the group started yelling at the man and "began to kick him as he lay on the ground in a fetal position."

9ffe/1249517633-dsc06880.jpg
The victim's friend was trying to pull the assailants off the victim when one of the assailants struck him in the chest, the report continues. Eventually the second victim stopped the assault with the help an "unknown, un-involved female who stepped in to help the two." The group of attackers then went into Honey Hole.

Portions of the police report have been redacted, so it's unclear if anti-gay slurs were used during the attack. However, because the police report classifies the case as an "anti-homosexual bias crime" and the victims were leaving a nearby gay bar, the incident appears to be a gay bashing.

The first victim suffered two black eyes, a laceration to the bridge of the nose, and a bruise on his lower back from his right kidney area to his hip. The second victim was listed as having sustained a deep contusion to his chest. The victims were able to provide partial descriptions of the three men and two women.

Cato the Younger Younger 1
That "gentrification" on Capital Hill is working out really well!!
Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on August 5, 2009 at 5:24 PM · Report this
Cato the Younger Younger 2
sorry Capitol
Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on August 5, 2009 at 5:24 PM · Report this
so they went into the honey hole (presumably not leaving the restaurant through a secret passage) yet the keystone cops (SPD) couldnt figure out who they were?

there has to be something missing here
Posted by high and bi on August 5, 2009 at 5:24 PM · Report this
Queen of Sleaze 4
Agreed @5, seems like something is missing. Also... R Place isn't even visible from the Honey Hole so how did these people know where they were coming from? I mean, this was a fucked up incident for sure, but with such vague details its hard to really be sure they were attacked because they were gay... We'd have to see the redacted portions of the report to get a more complete picture I suppose.
Posted by Queen of Sleaze on August 5, 2009 at 5:30 PM · Report this
Queen of Sleaze 5
LOL I mean @3 :)
Posted by Queen of Sleaze on August 5, 2009 at 5:30 PM · Report this
Reality Check 6
so the guys leaving the R-place were harassed and they felt emboldened to walk up and challenge the harrassers right?

And the harrassers didn't feel like backing down, shoved the man to the ground, and the guys who originally felt all tough, suddenly realized they were in over their heads and curled up into a fetal position?

Sounds like they weren't too smart to get into a confrontation in the first place....

Or so it seems to me....

hate crime? I don't think so.

A prime example of how well intended legislation gets misused and abused by those needing to cower under its protection when they bit off more than they could chew.
Posted by Reality Check http://www.nraila.org on August 5, 2009 at 5:31 PM · Report this
Greg 7
@6: Kill yourself.

Who called the police? Was it the staff of the Honey Hole? I sure hope so.
Posted by Greg on August 5, 2009 at 5:37 PM · Report this
Issues of hate crime or homosexuality ASIDE...

When a group of assholes are picking for a fight outside a bar, late at night... DON'T oblige them.

How many people avoided the same fate that night by just walking by or limiting their retort to a vulgar gesture?
Posted by Ackham on August 5, 2009 at 5:41 PM · Report this
Posted by Baconcat on August 5, 2009 at 5:57 PM · Report this
@8 - my thoughts exactly. Gay men shouldn't have to take verbal abuse, and it sucks to just take it, but that's not unique to gay men. It is almost always the better course to ignore such bullshit. If I walked by a bunch of guys who were giving me some kind of "hey-hey-mama" business, I wouldn't march over and lecture them about it - that's just asking for trouble. Ignore idiots, lest they also be dangerous.
Posted by Christy O on August 5, 2009 at 5:59 PM · Report this
Sargon Bighorn 11
This is not a hate crime, this is a crime against a stupid individual, it's a crime none the less. I must agree with #6 and #10 and #8. Keyricst how stupid do people have to be these days? Some dimwit calls you a F-A-G-G-O-T! That means you gotta be all Macho and ask for an apology? Pound that chest big boy. Ask for that apology, but when they start to bash your head in for engaging in "free speech" about you, F-A-G-G-O-T, better be well prepared to fight back.

It's sad this still goes on, but this will go on and on for a long long time. These are not the fights Gay Americans should be wasting their time and teeth on.

I hope these two coming out of R-Place were NOT gay men, because if they are there's a serious Stupidity epidemic there on "The Hill".
Posted by Sargon Bighorn on August 5, 2009 at 6:22 PM · Report this
Baconcat 12
@11: It was a friend Robert Harkins, former organizer of Hands Off Washington and current Deputy Superintendent of Public Instruction. They asked the guy if Harkins was his "daddy" or something and the kid got annoyed since it was the anniversary of the death of Harkins' fiance and he was suitably upset that someone would make a joke at Harkins' expense.
Posted by Baconcat on August 5, 2009 at 6:27 PM · Report this
The 'curled up in a fetal position' move gets them every time.
Way to Kick Ass!
Posted by HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa on August 5, 2009 at 6:39 PM · Report this
Hold that curl a few minutes while I run to my apartment (in momma's basement) to get my pink beret!
Posted by The Gay Avenger on August 5, 2009 at 6:41 PM · Report this
A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger.

Proverbs 15: 1
Posted by art on August 5, 2009 at 6:50 PM · Report this
The real crime here is that gays don't know how to rumble. These guys were coming out of a gay bar, right? Then they run into a rival straight gang from a straight bar. They should have gone back to their bar, got a gang together and started having it out proper on the street.

Anyone see Green Street Hooligans?

Posted by Oi ! on August 5, 2009 at 7:00 PM · Report this
There seems to be a rash of gays deciding 'they ain't gonna take it anymore!' and escalating encounters to their disadvantage.
The Salt Lake gay kissing surveillance video Dan posted shows kissing boy shoving the security guard in the chest to get things going.
Being tough is fine but ending up kissing the sidewalk with your hands cuffed behind your back or curled up on the ground getting the shit kicked out of you seems a poor way to demonstrate it.
Posted by Momma on August 5, 2009 at 7:18 PM · Report this
Catalina Vel-DuRay 18
I do wish people would drop the mythology that before "gentrification" Capitol Hill was some sort of gay mecca where attacks never happened.

Back in the late 80's, when a very young Catalina moved to what would eventually become the "Pike/Pine neighborhood", it was rough: Hookers, Johns, Junkies, Thugs, and us homos - and some of us were some of them ;-). There were very little people on the street at night, and many of them were up to no good.

In those days, there weren't gay bashings: There were just muggings and beating where they called you a faggot.

I mean, I hate to sound like Old Grandad here, but the idea that this stuff never happened in the "good old days" simply isn't true.
Posted by Catalina Vel-DuRay http://www.danlangdon.com on August 5, 2009 at 7:19 PM · Report this
Catalina Vel-DuRay 19
Oops, that should be "there were very FEW people on the streets at night". Don't want to cast aspersions on little people.
Posted by Catalina Vel-DuRay http://www.danlangdon.com on August 5, 2009 at 7:21 PM · Report this
Bauhaus I 20
Capitol Hill is supposed to be the only queer safe space in all of Seattle. If you can't keep your stupid, backward, homophobic mouth shut and dig it while you're there, then keep your fag-hating, gay-bashing ass in your own boring, mediocre neighborhood.

Time to start carrying pepper spray again, brothers and sisters. Damn.
Posted by Bauhaus I on August 5, 2009 at 7:28 PM · Report this
@3 ... know the old adage about assume?

This crime was not reported to the police for more than a week. I doubt anyone could stomach the honey hole for that long.

I know you think you PRESUMED but the post made it clear that there were undisclosed details AND mentioned the date of the attack. What you did was ASSUME but it really only sticks to you.
Posted by tired of commenters without facts on August 5, 2009 at 8:14 PM · Report this
seattle postglobe had this days ago so a little attribution is order even from an intern.
Posted by screamig liberal on August 5, 2009 at 9:10 PM · Report this
meowmeowkitty 23
I never talk back to mean buttholes unless I know my ass is covered or I've been drinking and want to play with my knife.
Posted by meowmeowkitty on August 5, 2009 at 9:43 PM · Report this
seandr 24
@23 Meow meow indeed!

If in fact someone said a gay slur, hats off to these guys for having the balls to call them on it, and I'm happy neither of them was more seriously injured.
Posted by seandr on August 5, 2009 at 10:19 PM · Report this
douchus 25
Maybe some of us, straight or gay, need to just hang outside of any bar available to 'check up on' the relationships between random bar trash and the passers-by.
Posted by douchus on August 5, 2009 at 11:16 PM · Report this
All of the accounts I've read make it sound like 1) the assailants were stoopid douche drunk assholes, and 2) no party here tried to avoid confrontation. That makes me believe that this could have all been avoided. Yeah, it could have first been avoided by the stoopid douche drunk assholes not being stoopid, douche-y, drunk, or assholes. But equally true - it could have been avoided by the other party recognizing that these stoopid douches are just drunk assholes. What were any of them trying to prove? "We're better than you are in a drunken rumble that would never happen if we were all sober"? "We're so ashamed at how lame our jokes/heckles are that we have to kick the shit out of people who call us on it"? Either way, you're all deserving of a night in jail to figure out how idiotic you are.
Posted by Yo. on August 5, 2009 at 11:33 PM · Report this
How do we know the honey holers weren't gay? Gay men do fight each other from time to time you know, even in "queer safe spaces"
Posted by Quel Horror! on August 6, 2009 at 6:36 AM · Report this
JF 28
I'll never understand why the gays don't carry fire-arms.
Posted by JF on August 6, 2009 at 7:47 AM · Report this
NumberOne 29
@ 27
Good point. Another question I have is this, Can a gay man be arrested for a hate crime for calling a straight person "fag or queer" during an assault?

I have a flamboyantly flaming best friend. Once, when we were in our early 20's, he got in a fight with a Westlake "gangsta", some 20 something black guy crack dealer, a wanna be thug.
My friend "Mike" is also black and looks sort of hip hop w/ the baggy pants and ball cap. Not to mention he is a brown belt in tai kwon do. "Mike" was kicked by this thug as we walked past the phone booths that used to be outside of Starbucks (back then it was SBC).
The thug called my buddy a bitch, as apparently he didn't like the fetishistic mannerisms my friend used as he talked. So my friend "Mike" (mind you, we were on our way back from the old Art Bar and pretty drunk) fucking goes crazy and knocks the gangster to the ground. He starts screaming at the gangster "FUCK YOU YOU FAGGOT ASS BITCH!" and beating his ass. Cops came. They let my friend go and they arrested the gangster. Uninvolved witnesses were saying that the thug was calling my friend a "faggot bitch" throughout the attack, when really it was the other way around. The cop told Mike that the thug was likely going to be charged with a hate crime and took a statement from him before they let us go on our way. So, why did that happen? Should Mike been arrested for assault? Probably, IMO, he was drunk and reacted foolishly. Should Mike been charged with a hate crime when, despite his yelling "faggot", he was the one who is gay? I don't know.
Posted by NumberOne on August 6, 2009 at 8:54 AM · Report this

Hush your mouth!
Gays are Gentle People who
NEVER
molest children
or rape anyone
or give anyone diseases.
(in fact, if it weren't for Reagan personally sodomizing and infecting 74,000 gays in the 80s AIDS would be totally unknown among Homosexuals)
Posted by It's a Fact! on August 6, 2009 at 8:56 AM · Report this
Since pretty much every white yuppie in Seattle answers to "Punk Assed Faggot" shouldn't all crime in Seattle be considered Homophobic Gay Bashing?
There is an epidemic of it afloat, I understand, from reading The Stranger...
Posted by ...did you see what I did there? on August 6, 2009 at 8:59 AM · Report this
Heterosexuals are the most vile disgusting group of people on this planet.

Post #30 proves that point.
Posted by Bill43210 on August 6, 2009 at 9:03 AM · Report this
some people have a problem accepting a compliment gracefully
Posted by we LOVE the Gays!! REALLY!!! mmmwaa! on August 6, 2009 at 9:19 AM · Report this
michael strangeways 34
serious case of the assholes on this thread...

and, WTF Honeyhole? Why didn't the staff do something about this, like break it up, call the cops, SOMETHING!

Fuck the bigots and Fuck the Honeyhole and their mediocre overpriced sandwiches and douchebag hipster clientale.
Posted by michael strangeways http://www.seattlegayscene.com/ on August 6, 2009 at 10:20 AM · Report this
sometimes when you fight: you lose.

Posted by walk on by on August 6, 2009 at 11:05 AM · Report this
So if a straight guy gets beat up by gay guys who were mouthing off (and yes, this DOES happen), is that a hate-crime?
Posted by whateverwhatever on August 6, 2009 at 11:37 AM · Report this
So wait, the Honeyhole is not a lesbian bar?

Posted by codswallower on August 6, 2009 at 12:21 PM · Report this
That was the first night of the CH Block Party, just to give ya a sense of the scene.
Posted by caphillguy on August 6, 2009 at 12:59 PM · Report this
PussyDunkinHines 39
I totally agree with you #16. There are moments when I wish that straight people were as a afraid to fuck with gay people as white people are afraid of black people. Where is the gay rage?
Posted by PussyDunkinHines on August 6, 2009 at 2:48 PM · Report this
Maybe some breeder boy tough guys should be a bit more careful who they pick on. They never know which of us pansy ass faggots are actually carrying weapons. Make their straight asses cry for momma.
Posted by BCS on August 6, 2009 at 4:20 PM · Report this
Maybe breeder boy "tough guys" should be a little more careful who they pick on. You never know which of us pansy ass faggots are licensed for carrying weapons. Make your straight ass cry home to momma.
Posted by BCS on August 6, 2009 at 4:26 PM · Report this
So... what you're saying is that it's not a hate crime because the "fag" and his buddy should have known their place and just kept their mouths shut?
Fuck that. I'm with Greg @ 7. Also, I can't help thinking of a Malcolm X quote: "Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery." (Bit harsh, maybe?)
Posted by YTAH http://ytah.wordpress.com/ on August 7, 2009 at 12:47 AM · Report this
maybe.
but the odds are pretty good the "stop, drop and curl-up" defense will be employed instead
Posted by ...in your momma's dreams, maybe.. on August 7, 2009 at 8:59 AM · Report this
By the legal definition, this is closer to a hate crime than the South Park stabbings were, as details do more to indicate the men were targeted due to their orientation.

That said, yeah, it's never smart to pick a fight with a group of drunk guys outside a bar looking to talk shit and pick a fight. Throwing it back at them tends not to end well no matter who you are.
Posted by Gomez http://misterstevengomez.com on August 7, 2009 at 9:03 AM · Report this
I don't see this as a hate crime. It sounds like the "victim" wasn't beaten up because he was gay, rather he was beaten up because he became confrontational. I'm not exactly sure what he expected to happen. A group of drunk asshole bullies say something derogatory, whether it be gay-related or not, he goes up in their face and demands an apology, does he actually expect they will react with, "you know, you're right, we're sorry, we take it back"...?? I think calling this a gay bashing is disrespectful to true gay bashings where innocent and unsuspecting gay people are attacked not because they picked a fight, but because they are gay. And where is the other side of this story? I want to hear both sides.
Posted by dalvarez on August 9, 2009 at 1:13 PM · Report this
I think if we take that sort of crap in our homes we are not better than the people who do go around using violence...we have a voice as a gay community...Why is everyone else afraid to use it?
Posted by gayboy on August 9, 2009 at 2:33 PM · Report this
Hey, dalvarez, so you think every victim of hate speech should just ignore it and turn and run. Yeah, that'll change the world, huh? I assume from your tag that you are latino. So, if someone calls you a derogatory term for a latino, you just roll over and blame and loathe yourself for being one? YOU are the true VICTIM then. Get a backbone or hate will always prevail. What the police report doesn't reveal is that the victim here is 6'3" and normally would be more than able to defend himself and his honor. He did not get violent or pick a fight. He simply stood up to hate, was shoved, lost his balance and three guys who he did not even confront started kicking him and screaming racial (he's latino BTW) and homophobic slurs. I know because I'm the guy with the "deep contusion" to his chest. And you know what? I didn't do anything other than try to drag my friend away and then tried to save him from even worse injuries. Was I "asking for it," too, or should I have let my beloved friend maybe get killed in front of me because that's what I thought was happening? You and the other bigoted and/or wimpy people who posted "blame the victim" crap in this string make me sick.
Posted by skywaybiway on August 15, 2009 at 4:22 PM · Report this
From other reports I have read, the alleged perpetrators said something about a "pretty boy and his daddy". I really don't find that has anything to do with hating gay people. Skyway, you need to get a spine and stop blaming all the problems in your life on being gay. People get in fights. You happen to be gay. So that automatically makes this a hate crime? Correlation does not equal causation.
Posted by dalvarez890 on August 18, 2009 at 9:10 PM · Report this