Thursday, July 30, 2009

Your Daily Poll Dance

Posted by on Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 10:20 AM

For over 750 years, Bil Keane's "The Family Circus" has warmed America's heart and kept its citizens in stitches! Here's some prime Keane humor now:

mxnz8j.jpg

What do you think of Billy's special map?

Urgutha Forka 1
It would be better if Billy were saying this:

"Art is not merely an imitation of the reality of nature, but in truth a metaphysical supplement to the reality of nature, placed alongside thereof for its conquest."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Posted by Urgutha Forka on July 30, 2009 at 10:28 AM · Report this
Well, that was an easy one.
Posted by J.R. on July 30, 2009 at 10:33 AM · Report this
vooodooo84 3
Plus the original author was a dick who tried to call out Bill Watterson as arrogant and presumptuous for trying to maintain artistic integrity with respect to the format of Calvin and Hobbes.
Posted by vooodooo84 on July 30, 2009 at 10:36 AM · Report this
Baconcat 4
Oh god, I love you for this.

We're getting a traditional marriage, Schmader.

And by that I mean you can't say no and your family owes me property.
Posted by Baconcat on July 30, 2009 at 10:37 AM · Report this
tabletop_joe 5
Oh, hate.
Posted by tabletop_joe on July 30, 2009 at 10:38 AM · Report this
douglas 6
family circus is without a doubt the lamest comic ever.
Posted by douglas on July 30, 2009 at 10:43 AM · Report this
I seem to remember him doing this most holidays, when I was a kid. Little Billy must be at least 25 now. The map is surprisingly professional for an 8 year old or whatever he's supposed to be.
Posted by Max Power on July 30, 2009 at 10:50 AM · Report this
David Schmader 8
7: He is also an 8-year-old familiar with the phrase "moot point."
Posted by David Schmader on July 30, 2009 at 10:52 AM · Report this
Isle of View, Mr. S.
Posted by gloomy gus on July 30, 2009 at 10:57 AM · Report this
"moot point" is pretty much what most blogging is. Especially mine.
Posted by CommonKnowledge on July 30, 2009 at 10:57 AM · Report this
Since when is that an isthmus?
Posted by RDM on July 30, 2009 at 11:01 AM · Report this
David Schmader 12
11: I KNOW! I don't think he knows what a moor is, either...
Posted by David Schmader on July 30, 2009 at 11:19 AM · Report this
Julie in Eugene 13
I think we should have some sort of "worst comic" poll. There are really so many to choose from: Family Circus, Fred Basset, the Lockhorns, Marmaduke...
Posted by Julie in Eugene on July 30, 2009 at 11:29 AM · Report this
David Schmader 14
13: Good idea. Everyone, pitch your contenders...
Posted by David Schmader on July 30, 2009 at 11:31 AM · Report this
Billy looks like a stoner.
Posted by RobotRevolution on July 30, 2009 at 11:37 AM · Report this
--MC 16
Oh, sure. If Saul Steinberg turned in that map, you'd be wet-ting down your leg.
Posted by --MC on July 30, 2009 at 11:38 AM · Report this
Katie B 17
I remember years ago in the Stranger, y'all ran a Family Circus of the daughter showing off her shoes, with the caption changed to say, "How do you like my fuck-me shoes?" I still laugh every time I think of it.
Posted by Katie B on July 30, 2009 at 11:41 AM · Report this
Baconcat 18
@14: Prickly City, Shoe, Frazz

Prickly City for trying so hard to be the neo-con answer to Doonesbury, Shoe for trying so hard to be... well, trying so hard to exist, and Frazz for being really really creepy.
Posted by Baconcat on July 30, 2009 at 11:42 AM · Report this
@13,14.. the problem is there are just so many! Family Circus for sure, but a damn big chunk of the rest of the page, too. We were so lucky to have Bill Watterson while we did.....
Posted by jw36 on July 30, 2009 at 12:12 PM · Report this
And yet Glen Keane, Disney animator and son of Bill Keane, is really cool, paradoxically
Posted by Peter F on July 30, 2009 at 12:17 PM · Report this
The Amazing Jim 21
Family Circus can die in a fire.
Posted by The Amazing Jim http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?id=100000076496291&ref=profile on July 30, 2009 at 12:22 PM · Report this
kim in portland 22
14: Family Circus and Cathy.
Posted by kim in portland http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/11/fast-paced_video_provides_a_fu.html on July 30, 2009 at 12:40 PM · Report this
@17
I wish they'd run that again or better yet make it into a t-shirt. I'd buy one!
Posted by Senor Guy on July 30, 2009 at 12:41 PM · Report this
@13: Hey! Don't be dissin' Marmaduke!
Posted by J.R. on July 30, 2009 at 12:51 PM · Report this
@22 ACK!
Posted by xian on July 30, 2009 at 1:06 PM · Report this
This poll is funnier than any Family Circus cartoon. If you took all the laughter generated by every F.C. strip, anywhere in the world, ever, it would sound just like a polite cough.
Posted by YTAH http://ytah.wordpress.com/ on July 30, 2009 at 1:11 PM · Report this
Dougsf 27
It's weird to see any remotely contemporary references in The Family Circus. I always figured its artist for a life long shut-in. Also, "Punk Rock"? Huh.
Posted by Dougsf on July 30, 2009 at 1:17 PM · Report this
Keister Button 28
I miss the Dysfunctional Family Circus (Archive found here -- http://dfc.furr.org). May long-running waves of great karma stay with the Stranger staff who can put up with eight-year-olds and their cutesie-pie doofus moments.
Posted by Keister Button on July 30, 2009 at 1:23 PM · Report this
The Amazing Jim 29
Marvin
Cathy
Marmaduke
The Lockhorns
Family Circus
Ziggy
Garfield
Luann

I hope they all get cancer-aids
Posted by The Amazing Jim http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?id=100000076496291&ref=profile on July 30, 2009 at 1:25 PM · Report this
McGee 30
Oh god, yes! Marvin. That guy is the worst. I like how he draws different expressions by making the eye pupils point a different direction than from the previous panel. So awful. One I read all the time just for the pain is Crock. It is like sticking your tongue in an exposed oral nerve. I am a masochist.

How is Hank Ketcham dead while Bill Keene plods on? The reaper is coming Bill, prepare to meet Not-Me in hell.
Posted by McGee on July 30, 2009 at 1:44 PM · Report this
Greg 31
It is a crime against art that Bill Watterson and Gary Larson are retired, yet this doofus still gets prime space in the Sunday comics.
Posted by Greg on July 30, 2009 at 2:50 PM · Report this
Geni 32
Wizard of Id is my pet hate. I also bear a strong loathing for any and all comics whose main theme is Wife-As-Mommy - you know what I mean, the wifey who hands hubby a "job jar" every weekend, nags him into getting up, buys his clothing, and generally is shown treating her husband as if he were a leotarded six-year-old. I want to kill the mother figure on Zits because she nags her irritating 15-year-old ceaselessly and pointlessly instead of just hauling off and belting him one.
Posted by Geni on July 30, 2009 at 2:50 PM · Report this
Cracker Jack 33
Anything in a newspaper.
Posted by Cracker Jack on July 30, 2009 at 8:08 PM · Report this
ak47 34
Part of me hates Bill Watterson for being such a pretentious asshole. With that said, the cartoon I hate the most is Zack Hill for striving to be a rip off of Calvin and Hobbes and failing in every aspect.
Posted by ak47 on July 31, 2009 at 11:32 AM · Report this
Why'd we have to lose Calvin and Hobbes and The Boondocks but get stuck with this?

Calvin / Billy cagefight. Or assrape.
Posted by Terry Nguyen on July 31, 2009 at 6:22 PM · Report this