Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Currently Hanging

Posted by on Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 9:20 AM

Yoko Ono's 1961 artwork Painting to Hammer a Nail is a white painted wood panel with a hammer hanging from a chain attached to it, and a box of small nails sitting next to it.

The title and the stray nails already in the board suggest that you should, in fact, use the hammer and hammer your own nail.

Last week when I was in the show I heard much hammering. And here's what the painting looked like at the end of the week, when last I saw it.

c24c/1247014491-dscn9528.jpg

Well, it seems the storm of weekend visitors had other ideas. This is what Painting to Hammer a Nail looked like Monday morning.

b822/1247014575-dscn9530.jpg

Yoko, what do you think?

And here's a sweet (true or not, I don't know) story about this piece, John, and an imaginary five shillings.

Greg 2
It's gimmicky, but gimmicks can be fun.
Posted by Greg on July 8, 2009 at 10:02 AM · Report this
levide 3
If you look closely in the upper left hand corner of the painting, you can see my nail!
Posted by levide on July 8, 2009 at 10:17 AM · Report this
bugwitch 4
I am curious as to what all of those papers say. I see an equals sign (HRC) and what look likes my power bill.
Posted by bugwitch on July 8, 2009 at 10:27 AM · Report this
So . . . did this painting live un-molested for 48 years before this exhibition? Had it ever been exhibited before? And yeah . . . what is all that crap?
Posted by Levislade http://ballofwax.org on July 8, 2009 at 10:34 AM · Report this
Max Solomon 6
i have come to the sad conclusion that yoko ono made john lennon suck and paul mccartney made him rock. which is sad because i like yoko and i think paul's a square.
Posted by Max Solomon on July 8, 2009 at 12:22 PM · Report this
yoko ono 7
Thank you, Jen! I had a great laugh with my friends. yoko
Posted by yoko ono http://www.IMAGINEPEACE.com on July 8, 2009 at 5:48 PM · Report this