Thursday, June 18, 2009

Shutting Down the Gay ATM

Posted by on Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 8:27 AM

1443/1245338834-homobank.jpgTwo more of the gay bigwigs have pulled out of the DNC's LGBT Leadership Council fundraiser in DC. next week. The president of the Vermont Senate dropped out, saying...

Senate President Pro Tem Peter Shumlin has decided not to go to a large Democratic National Committee fundraiser next week to protest a U.S. Justice Department memo related to gay marriage.... "This memo from the Justice Department is more Bush than Bush," he added. "It takes the only minority group left in America that nationalpoliticians can publicly discriminate against and still see their numbers go up in the polls and it reinforces the horrible stereotypes about our friends and neighbors."

And Bruce Bastian, a major donor to the Democratic Party, is out:

Bruce Bastian, a gay businessman and prominent donor who lives in Utah and is on the list of special invitees, not only said he no longer plans to attend the fundraiser, but also that he no longer plans to donate to the Democratic Party as a whole.... "The administration has said they have to support the federal government's stance," he said. "But in the brief, they go way beyond where they need to go to just defend DOMA. They basically go to terminology and language that you would expect from the Bush administration, not the Obama administration."

Bastian said the brief was the "tipping point" for him in his perception for how the Democratic Party supports LGBT issues.

John Aravosis wonders why reps from some big gay orgs—NGLTF, GLAD, GMHC—are still planning to attend.

Cracker Jack 1
Dan, GayTM would be much catchier. Please make a note of it.
Posted by Cracker Jack on June 18, 2009 at 8:29 AM · Report this
Bruce Garrett 2
"Aravosis wonders why reps from some big gay orgs...are still planning to attend..."

They're all part of that great big happy inside the beltway Village now I guess. This is why I don't give them money. I can't imagine who it is that still does these days. Compared to the kids who organized the after-the-vote Prop 8 protests, for example, they're pretty worthless.

Posted by Bruce Garrett http://brucegarrett.com/brucelog on June 18, 2009 at 8:33 AM · Report this
I hope that this either helps to push Dems to actually do something, or that there will be massive organizing and it helps to bring about a 3rd party that actually has an interest in people's interests
Posted by samedelstein on June 18, 2009 at 8:34 AM · Report this
Baconcat 4
After years of people saying "you aren't doing enough, get up and get out and do something", slacktivists are suddenly SO SO ANGRY and wondering HOW COULD THIS HAPPEN. Well, it happened because the wheel stopped squeaking in the mid-90s, and we were told up until last Friday that we have to "do this cautiously, state by state" and "no, no court cases, let the GLBT power elite handle this".

Now it's "OH MY GOD, FEDERAL CASE NOW, CHANGE ALL STATE LAWS, CHANGE NOW! CHANGE NOW!".

Slacktivism, yay!
Posted by Baconcat on June 18, 2009 at 8:39 AM · Report this
Shelby 5
Oh snap.
Posted by Shelby on June 18, 2009 at 8:42 AM · Report this
Enigma 6
If anyone else has an interest in sending a message to the Obama administration- come visit protestforhumanrights.com
I know I've been going on about it, but there was a lot of talk from the Civil Disobedience post about people wanting to get involved, but so far, not a lot of people have backed that up.
I'm not interested in taking anyone's money- I know most of you don't know me, but since Dan put the idea out there and just let it hang, it would be nice to get a feeling of how much support there really is for a protest.
I'll be in front of the White House July 1-4. This is the time to make a stand.
Posted by Enigma http://washingtonunitedformarriage.org/ on June 18, 2009 at 8:43 AM · Report this
Carollani 7
Ch-ching! I hope this becomes so embarrassing that Biden has to drop out.
Posted by Carollani http://twitter.com/carollani on June 18, 2009 at 8:55 AM · Report this
Vince 8
I am dumbfounded by the behavior of the president and Democrats. I feel AGAIN betrayed and it's getting very tiresome.
Posted by Vince on June 18, 2009 at 8:59 AM · Report this
Hyzenthlayk9 9
@6: I admire your initiative, and would like to assist, but the site currently isn't very 'user friendly' as far as web designs go, which may be why you aren't seeing too much response.

Right now the only thing that seems to take visitors anywhere is the 'donate now' button.

Do you have a site where folks can discuss strategy, and where it is easier to contact you/leave messages?

Or at least where we can leave contact info and try to coordinated efforts. That would be a great help, and give us a chance to network and combine forces and resources.

In the meantime, the site is a good start - just needs to be more functional.
Posted by Hyzenthlayk9 http://oystermind.blogspot.com/ on June 18, 2009 at 9:01 AM · Report this
Enigma 10
I'm working on getting a message board up. And there is the email address protestforhumanrights@gmail.com for people to write what they want to do. I'm working with good old spreadsheets at the moment.
The fully functional website will go up this weekend- a fellow slogger is working on it. I wanted to get something up as soon as possible to show people that this is going to happen.
Posted by Enigma http://washingtonunitedformarriage.org/ on June 18, 2009 at 9:06 AM · Report this
Hyzenthlayk9 11
@10: Cool. I'll email you.

It's just that the lack of response that you've noted may be due in part to the current interface. Glad to hear that it is being improved upon.
Posted by Hyzenthlayk9 http://oystermind.blogspot.com/ on June 18, 2009 at 9:13 AM · Report this
Enigma 12
Just to let everyone know, I have set up a message board to discuss this further: http://protestforrights.proboards.com/in…

Spread the word.
Posted by Enigma http://washingtonunitedformarriage.org/ on June 18, 2009 at 9:22 AM · Report this
T 13
@1 I was thinking that too, but seeing it typed out, it looks more like "Shutting Down the Gay" has been trademarked. Gay ATM looks better.
Posted by T on June 18, 2009 at 9:23 AM · Report this
@4 You are short sighted. People are not JUST NOW up in arms on these issues. This is not new. If people had not been pissed off and talking about these issues and making them heard, known, protesting against them, then Obama would not have been making the promises he made to the gay community in the first place.

People are angry now because they supported someone who supposedly listened to us and heard what we wanted/needed/deserve as human beings and said that they would help ...

Let people protest openly and talk shit, because for fuck's sake, they don't have the same rights as same-sex couples. And just because people are blogging and being enraged on the internet doesn't mean that they aren't also doing things within their community, donating money, sending letters, etc. But everytime I donate money or write an email to my senate I am not going to come on here and brag about it just to satisfy some stuffy slogger. Get over yourself and just let people be angry and let them talk about it.
Posted by Take it all in on June 18, 2009 at 9:23 AM · Report this
Enigma 15
@14 Exactly.
I've contacted the White House since inauguration. I've written to Cantwell, Murray and McDermott. I've written to news agencies. I've worked on my own in this effort. I'm tired of being pushed aside for "political expediency". I am an American. Half my family has been here since the Mayflower. I'm 3rd/2nd generation on my other. I am an American. I deserve equality.
Posted by Enigma http://washingtonunitedformarriage.org/ on June 18, 2009 at 9:27 AM · Report this
Baconcat 16
@14: Terry and Dan "[don't] do demonstrations", the Day of Decision rally was tiny, Washington Families Standing Together has only raised $8,000, and Dan was trumpeting how the state-by-state strategy was "winning".

If you're fooled, then I can see how this whole DOMA brief thing could catch you by surprise.
Posted by Baconcat on June 18, 2009 at 9:47 AM · Report this
Cracker Jack @ 1. That may be the the best thing Ive heard all week.

No more Gaytm.
Where can I get a t-shirt?

I'm serious.
Posted by gregory gookins on June 18, 2009 at 9:53 AM · Report this
leek 18
I just got an email from David Plouffe from barackobama.com asking for a donation to help with healthcare reform. Seriously? I took the opportunity to submit a two-paragraph comment on whitehouse.gov explaining that I wouldn't be giving to the administration or the DNC until substantive action was taken on gay rights.

I was a very small ATM, and not gay, but an ATM nonetheless.
Posted by leek on June 18, 2009 at 10:13 AM · Report this
@16 well first of all there is a difference between being surprised and pissed off. Second, I don't see in that quote where it says anything about not donating money to LGBT groups or not writing letters to the senate or not demanding marriage licenses ... and when you quote someone, you should really include a link so that the rest of us can actually read the context in which the quote was made in order to, you know, think for ourselves instead of just taking your word for it.

And not once have you said what "actions" you've been taking.
Posted by Take it all in on June 18, 2009 at 10:15 AM · Report this
Rob in Baltimore 20
I just shot quick, polite, but to the point emails to each of the groups still planning on attending. No money from me will be funneled to the DNC if these groups plan on playing this carrot on the stick game. Why do we believe they have any intentions of letting us have the carrot if they know they can keep stringing us along for money and votes, and we keep falling for it?

This game the DNC is playing reminds me of that 80's song, "I Know What Boys Like" When we complain about broken campaign promises the DNC responds:

"...I feel sad now
I will let you
Sorry I teased you
I will let you
This time I mean it
I will let you
Anything you want
You can trust me
I really want to
You can trust me
How would you like it
You can trust me

Sucker. Hmmmmm.... "
Posted by Rob in Baltimore http://www.wishbookweb.com/ on June 18, 2009 at 10:35 AM · Report this
Dan should definitly start a Third Party.
Maybe we can call it the
Leaky ButtFuckers Party.
"Screw The Democrats! (and anything else that will stand still long enough...)" could be the party slogan.
Dan could run for President!
Posted by democracy is sooo cool! on June 18, 2009 at 10:36 AM · Report this
Baconcat 22
@19: If you weren't pissed before... anyway, here's the link: http://slog.thestranger.com/slog/archive…

As far as myself, I've spoken in favor of a GSA at my high school in Texas, even when I was in the closet, I've attended every local protest, rally or pride for the past 9 years (even being one of 4 people standing on a freeway overpass against what was overturned by Lawrence v. Texas), was in my college GLBT organization, have given time and money to charities large and small (even donated underwear for a charity quilt), wrote letters to legislators both local and national, had a civil discussion with a former mayor of my hometown in Texas for not attending Pride, get into civil discussions with those who are against equality, have acted as an escort and neighborhood watch in "the strip" in my hometown in Texas and have physically run off gay bashers numerous times (in Texas, mostly, but a couple of times in Portland). People call me a nag when it comes to GLBT rights, and I wear that with pride.

Do you want to know my shoe size and favorite food now?
Posted by Baconcat on June 18, 2009 at 11:08 AM · Report this
Andy_Squirrel 23
standing back for a second, the real tragedy is that we have to purchase civil liberties.
Posted by Andy_Squirrel on June 18, 2009 at 11:17 AM · Report this
@22:
1st of all, you incorrectly quoted Dan and completely ignored the ACTION that he was calling for within that post. He states that marching through an EMPTY CITY is a pointless waste of resources and he is correct. How does that help? That is preaching to the choir at that point. Why would you ever use his call to action against him? He says right in that post that he and his boyfriend (the boyfriend being the one stated as not doing demonstrations, not Dan) are willing to GET ARRESTED for this cause. That's kind of a big fucking deal.

2nd people have always been pissed ... the point is that it is FOR YET ANOTHER REASON now. That was the whole point. There is YET ANOTHER REASON to be angry.

And so you know, me saying that you have not once stated what your actions were was not to imply that you were not taking them it was to point out that you are doing EXACTLY what you are getting mad at people for doing on these threads which is to participate in the background and not mentioning your participation in the foreground. It is not that people are not doing anything, it is that YOU DON'T KNOW what they are doing anymore than we know what you are doing.

Are you willing to get arrested? Perhaps you should participate in what Dan is proposing? Help him out with that instead of finding a way to twist his words and using it against him.
Posted by Take it all in on June 18, 2009 at 11:42 AM · Report this
Will in Seattle 25
@24 - exactly.

Miscegenation laws didn't fall because people asked for them.

They were willing to get arrested and took action.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on June 18, 2009 at 12:32 PM · Report this
Enigma 26
So are you ready to get arrested Will? Is anyone?
Is anyone here ready to stand up and tell our government we're tired of being pushed around?
There was so much support for Dan's idea of protesting at the White House, but as soon as someone organizes an effort to make it happen- there is silence.
Stand up and put your feet where your mouth is. Organize. I've provided the space for people to say when they'll be standing at the White House. This doesn't have to be a top down movement- anyone can stand in protest.
Join the movement.
protestforhumanrights.com
Posted by Enigma http://washingtonunitedformarriage.org/ on June 18, 2009 at 12:38 PM · Report this
kim in portland 27
Baconcat @ 22,

Can I guess?

How about size 15 shoe, you give me the impression your tall, yummy tall 6'3" or more.

A BLT.

Am I anywhere close? You don't have to answer, I'm a bit silly when the caffine is low.
Posted by kim in portland http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/11/fast-paced_video_provides_a_fu.html on June 18, 2009 at 1:17 PM · Report this
Baconcat 28
@24: Pointless? Because congresspeople went home? Please. The media isn't going home, is it? And it's not like a bunch of GLBT activists can't sit on the stairs of the Capitol waiting for Congress to return... more than enough of them are freelance or free to be in another city from their jobs. And plenty actually live in D.C..

I am a total skeptic at this point, though. In 2004, we lost so much footing with little more than a flurry of HRC letters and a token statement from Hilary Rosen.

At some point, the idea of yelling at a judge's car about Native Rights or waving a placard in the rain asking for GLBT Rights lost its luster. The stronger voices decided a long time ago that they were better heard when attacking the religious right or throwing the bisexual and trans communities under the bus. I got a little hoarse.

I'll still protest, but at this juncture, the outrage amongst the supposed leadership is getting a little plastic for my tastes. Especially since they seem to have to rely on distortions to feign their outrage.
Posted by Baconcat on June 18, 2009 at 1:22 PM · Report this
Baconcat 29
@27: Wrong on the shoes (13!), but BLT is close enough to win. I eat a couple of slices of bacon once a month because I love it so.
Posted by Baconcat on June 18, 2009 at 1:24 PM · Report this
@28 I will give you that on the media and waiting on the doorsteps. However, I still say that your comments completely disrespected the message of Dan's original post. Dan says that marching may not be his thing but then he also suggests something that he thinks would be more effective.

It was one thing to just simply say that something doesn't work and then not offer up an alternative, but he did suggest an alternative and also said that he and his boyfriend were willing to go jail to make their statement.

It is also one thing to quote one part of a person's message and use it against them when the whole rest of their message is something that sounds like you yourself would be in support of. That is just a cheap shot at trying to make your point sound right.
Posted by Take it all in on June 18, 2009 at 2:43 PM · Report this