Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Civil Disobedience: A Proposal

Posted by on Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 2:13 PM

0f59/1245186285-us-whitehouse-logo.jpg

Longtime gay activist Cleve Jones is leading the charge for the "National Equality March," a gay march on Washington called for October 11 of this year. Many folks are opposed—there's not enough time to organize a march, Congress isn't in session that week, marches don't accomplish much, a march eats up resources and energy—and Queerty has a good point/counterpoint interview/argument with Cleve. I'm officially agnostic: if people want to march, they can march.

But I have suggestion for an ongoing, smaller-scale action that would have a larger impact than a one-off "march" through an empty city. My idea would need fewer than a 1000 people to succeed—730 to be exact—and it wouldn't be over in a day. It would go on, day-in, day-out, every day, for a year. Hell, it could go on indefinitely. It involves civil disobedience and the 730 volunteers would have to be willing to get arrested. People who are unable to participate could make donations to help cover the expenses—legal expenses and travel expenses—of those who can.

Here's the idea: one gay or lesbian couple—a couple currently denied their rights under DOMA—shows up at the entrance to the White House grounds. A different couple every day. They ask to speak to the president about DOMA. They're refused. They sit down. They refuse to leave. They're arrested, carried away by the police. Couples would be recruited from all over the country, demonstrating that gay marriage isn't just an issue in liberal California or godless New England, and the media in each couple's home city and state would be notified in advance of their arrest. The occasional famous couple—Rosie and Kelli? Ellen and Portia?—would participate to pull in celeb media. But most of the couples who come to D.C. to get arrested would be average folks. The couples would need support, legal and logistical, and we would need someone to organize media outreach and maintain a website. The website would include a photo and profile of each couple that comes to D.C. to get arrested, collect all the press, and be used to recruit couples willing to travel to D.C. and get arrested.

The action would be small scale—it would be human scale—and it would go on and on and on. It would demonstrate better than another gay march just how seriously we take this issue: we take it seriously that we're willing to travel to D.C. and get arrested. It wouldn't be a one-day event that the White House could ignore or bluff its way through with some lame statement about its "commitment" to ending DOMA. The couples would keep coming. Every day an arrest. Drip, drip, drip. Members of the White House press corps would see couples getting arrested every day on their way to work. Gibbs would be forced to address DOMA on a near-daily basis. The president would be asked about the issue again and again.

My boyfriend—who doesn't do demonstrations (or interviews or photos or anything public)—is so upset about the DOMA brief that he's willing to go to D.C. and get arrested. So am I. We can't be the only couple that feels this way.

Carollani 1
A Million Gay March could have a large impact, but I like your idea as well. I'd be willing to go to DC.
Posted by Carollani http://twitter.com/carollani on June 16, 2009 at 2:17 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 2
Great idea, but I don't see you at the courthouses locally, demanding your rights.

Then again, it's a start.

Now, if you live near DC, this is a very cool idea.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on June 16, 2009 at 2:18 PM · Report this
I like the civil disobedience thing, but not quite into the White House idea. I think it should be something that directly underscores the discrimination gay couples face. No one gets to demand to see the President and be taken seriously.

will brainstorm more. I'm up for something though! We need to keep up the pressure!
Posted by efs5r on June 16, 2009 at 2:20 PM · Report this
General Jack Ripper 4
I think this could have more press coverage then a parade. People are used to gays in parades. There would be dorthys. A real gay couple getting arrested every day, looking like normal Americans. That will turn heads. Why not Priest and deacons and deaconess' that are willing to go sit and be arrested, why just one a day.
Posted by General Jack Ripper on June 16, 2009 at 2:23 PM · Report this
General Jack Ripper 5
Posted by General Jack Ripper on June 16, 2009 at 2:23 PM · Report this
kim in portland 6
I don't fit your needed couple, but I'll put money where my mouth is, and outsource as much of my husbands income that he'll allow towards helping with the cost.
Posted by kim in portland http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/11/fast-paced_video_provides_a_fu.html on June 16, 2009 at 2:23 PM · Report this
Hernandez 7
@2 His point would be to have couples from all over the country show up, to make the point that it is a national issue.

One couple demonstrating at a small courthouse in their local area, and who cares? Many couples, showing up day after day at the White House, and you've got something that will grab people's attention.
Posted by Hernandez http://hernandezlist.blogspot.com on June 16, 2009 at 2:24 PM · Report this
Sargon Bighorn 8
Dan and Terry.
Posted by Sargon Bighorn on June 16, 2009 at 2:26 PM · Report this
Sargon Bighorn 9
And bravo for being willing to do it Dan and Terry.
Posted by Sargon Bighorn on June 16, 2009 at 2:27 PM · Report this
kim in portland 10
Perhaps, contact Soulforce http://www.soulforce.org/ , maybe you could get the Rev. Mel White and his partner to be a couple, the organization is dedicated to nonviolence and has used civil disobedience before?
Posted by kim in portland http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/11/fast-paced_video_provides_a_fu.html on June 16, 2009 at 2:27 PM · Report this
Baconcat 11
ACTION, FINALLY. Maybe.

A symbolism needs to be created that can be taken subliminally from these arrests, like the couples tying themselves to eachother with white ribbon, which ends up getting tied to anything and everything everywhere all the time.

Copycats will do their thing all over the country to the point that no big city and a large percentage of small cities would not be immune.
Posted by Baconcat on June 16, 2009 at 2:30 PM · Report this
What about gay couples refusing to pay any extra taxes that they would not owe if they were allowed to file jointly as a couple? They could show up en masse in DC on a given day turning themselves for not paying, and willing to be arrested.

Protesters could say that they refuse to pay a "gay tax" that the government de facto imposes on gay couples as a punishment for not being straight. We could then demand to know whether tea party conservatives (who ostensibly hate all taxation) agree that the government has no right to levy extra taxes on gays.
Posted by Tom G on June 16, 2009 at 2:30 PM · Report this
Loveschild 13
What happens when some crazies show up and decide to take it a little further Mr Savage?
Posted by Loveschild http://www.samaritanspurse.org/index.php/articles/responding_to_haiti_earthquake/ on June 16, 2009 at 2:31 PM · Report this
very fashionable...

Famous publicity craving people
getting locked
up on the nightly news
"for The Cause".
I don't think America has ever seen that before, Dan.
Posted by Go For It! on June 16, 2009 at 2:31 PM · Report this
Yes! where do I send money?
Posted by gjames on June 16, 2009 at 2:31 PM · Report this
Tina 16
I would be willing to help pay for that... and why not have the couples family come too? Or their pastors/priests who would like to perform thier wedding, can you imagine it? Religious Leaders, Parents, children asking; "Mr Obama why wont you let my parents/children get married?" If two normal american looking gays getting arrested will have an impact imagine if its an all american looking family thats being taking to jail because they believe all thier children are equal?
Posted by Tina on June 16, 2009 at 2:32 PM · Report this
tabletop_joe 17
It's a fantastic idea.

But what happens if a couple is eventually admitted to the White House? What if couple #426 gets a moment to meet with the President to talk about DOMA? I mean, ideally, they would be able to speak from the heart about why it should be repealed. But if it were me, I would flub it.

So all applicants should expect to get arrested or be prepared to make the case against DOMA directly to Obama.
Posted by tabletop_joe on June 16, 2009 at 2:33 PM · Report this
Enigma 18
The women's suffrage movement did something similar to this. They stood outside the gates of the White House every day practically and then they started getting arrested. They did it during WWI when criticizing the president was tantamount to treason. They used quotes of the president to highlight the disparity between fighting for freedom all over the world to half the US population being unable to effect change in the county.
I'm not in a couple, but I would be willing to stand outside the gates of the White House carrying a banner every day if I had support.
Posted by Enigma http://washingtonunitedformarriage.org/ on June 16, 2009 at 2:34 PM · Report this
Baconcat 19
@13: We gently dismiss you and move on with our lives.
Posted by Baconcat on June 16, 2009 at 2:36 PM · Report this
sheiler 20
Um, would it work with one non-American in the homo couples mix? I am married in Canada; single in my home state of Massachusetts because my partner is French and Canadian. DOMA prevents us from marrying in MA. Would it help if we too joined the trying to meet Obama gay brigade?
Posted by sheiler http://sheilerama.com on June 16, 2009 at 2:38 PM · Report this
@18: Yes, this was depicted in the excellent HBO movie "Iron Jawed Angels".

Woodrow Wilson claimed to be a supporter of the women's suffrage movement but repeatedly told the women that he had to much on his plate with WWI and negotiating tariffs (To which one suffragist replied "But how can you make tax policy when not all of your citizens can vote? Isn't that why we fought the American Revolution?" ZING!)
Posted by Tom G on June 16, 2009 at 2:40 PM · Report this
Lurleen 22
I like this idea.

@3, I don't think it matters that nobody ever gets to see the president. This is a symbolic gesture, and one that can't be ignored by press and public. Just wait until the international tourists start asking to have their pictures taken with the latest handcuffed couple. The US *hates* bad international PR, it's what finally made the feds get serious about stopping the unofficial slavery that was stil happening until WWII.

See you in DC, Dan!
Posted by Lurleen on June 16, 2009 at 2:40 PM · Report this
kim in portland 23
@ 13: It's a potential risk. Living up to one's principles often exposes one to risk. It's both beautiful and inspiring don't you think?
Posted by kim in portland http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/11/fast-paced_video_provides_a_fu.html on June 16, 2009 at 2:41 PM · Report this
kk in seattle 24
@12, amen. If this happens, it has to be well-lawyered. Part of the reason the DOMA brief was so ugly is because the plaintiffs' case was so crappy. They asked for benefits, rather than being outraged that they were being unconstitutionally penalized with higher taxes. You can also pay your taxes under protest and explain why (e.g., the federal government is one of limited and enumerated powers, none of which includes the authority to tell Massachusetts, Vermont, Connecticut, Iowa, California, etc., etc. that their definition of "marriage" can be ignored).
Posted by kk in seattle on June 16, 2009 at 2:42 PM · Report this
Tremendous idea Dan! Can someone with some tech savvy make a website and tell me where to send the check?!
Posted by Frank Rizzo on June 16, 2009 at 2:43 PM · Report this
Lurleen 26
@20 DOMA does not prevent you from marrying in MA. Anyone can now marry in MA. DOMA can't prevent that any more than it can prevent people marrying in VT, IA, etc. Check out the resources at GLAD.org for more info.
Posted by Lurleen on June 16, 2009 at 2:43 PM · Report this
I believe Loveschildish is trying to invoke the specter of a gay couple showing up and becoming violent. Which gay couples are noted for -- wasn't it a gay couple who shot up the Holocaust Museum? And wasn't it a gay couple who murdered that abortion doctor? And wasn't it a gay couple who shot that military recruiter?

It wasn't, was it?
Posted by Dan Savage on June 16, 2009 at 2:44 PM · Report this
Good idea. Organize it, Dan.
Posted by Nick on June 16, 2009 at 2:45 PM · Report this
The suffragists stood outside of the WH reading aloud Wilson's speeches about democracy and the importance of it ensuring its survival in Europe...while right here in the good ol US of Ahole women were not allowed to participate in democracy by voting.

As they read, the suffragists dropped pages of the speeches into a bonfire.

They got arrested, detained, and when they refused to eat, they were force fed.

If this is what it takes in this asshole country to prove worthiness for civil rights, then I guess we better line up .... force fed, arrest, fire hoses and police dogs, beaten by cops, .... ahh....American justice...never learn from the past and always remember to enforce supremacy.

Bring it on, Dan...my husband and I were arrested in SF last month...we'd join you (of course, he has no idea I'm agreeing to this on his behalf).
Posted by patrick66 on June 16, 2009 at 2:47 PM · Report this
Loveschild 30
23 A "potential risk", of someone harming our President. How courageous of you. I find no beauty and zero inspiration in that type of risk that you're so willing to take at the first family's expense.
Posted by Loveschild http://www.samaritanspurse.org/index.php/articles/responding_to_haiti_earthquake/ on June 16, 2009 at 2:49 PM · Report this
kim in portland 31
Baconcat @ 11,

I like the symbolic ribbon idea, it's something that can potentially worn by supporters as well. Suffergists and their supporters wore yellow roses, and I think they wore lavender arm bands at the Gay Power vigil and march following the Stonewall Riots.
Posted by kim in portland http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/11/fast-paced_video_provides_a_fu.html on June 16, 2009 at 2:51 PM · Report this
Heather 32
I think this is a good idea too, but there should also be a mass march that involves as many people as possible because not everyone who supports our cause is in a position to face arrest.

I hope Cleve Jones ignores those who oppose marching. I imagine those who oppose a march are similar to the old guard of the gay movement 40 years ago who tried to discourage participation in the Stonewall rebellion. We listen to such "voices of reason" at our own peril.

I am not willing to subordinate my rights to the time table of Obama or any other politician.
Posted by Heather on June 16, 2009 at 2:51 PM · Report this
Smart, tactical civil disobedience is a great idea, but it really ought to be targeting the congress--the ball is in their court right now.
Posted by Kevin Erickson on June 16, 2009 at 2:52 PM · Report this
Baconcat 34
@30: Exact reason Kennedy had MLK wiretapped, wingnuts like you proposing that he intended to harm the president.
Posted by Baconcat on June 16, 2009 at 2:54 PM · Report this
Hyzenthlayk9 35
Sign me up as one of the support staff.

I think that it is a wonderful example that you and Terry are willing to provide for your son - that sometimes you have to take risks in order to fight for what you believe in and know to be right.

I'm very proud of you and Terry, Dan. I'll contribute whatever support I can.
Posted by Hyzenthlayk9 http://oystermind.blogspot.com/ on June 16, 2009 at 2:57 PM · Report this
sheiler 36
@26: Yes DOMA does indeed prevent me from marrying a foreigner in MA. I was told this explicitly by the lesbos at the US border where I travel to and fro every frigging weekend. Marrying in the US shows intent to live in the US with your partner. If you happen to be a foreigner with no current visa to live and work in the US, getting married to your same-sex partner raises the red flag of said intent. And this then would force them (their words) to prevent her from even visiting inside the US. I believe the phrase: "She would not be able to set a single foot on US soil" was uttered.
Posted by sheiler http://sheilerama.com on June 16, 2009 at 2:58 PM · Report this
Nice idea, but do get same-sex couples of color or it will (wrongly) be seen as racist. Gotta go catch the purple line, so I'll explain more in a bit, but, I mean, if folks have been calling me and other black gay people "house n*****s" then the gay community as racist meme is already out there and it is ready to be played.
Posted by Chitown Kev on June 16, 2009 at 3:00 PM · Report this
Baconcat 38
@31: I'm down for conceptualizing on what they should look like and their function. Obviously, a larger and more conspicuous ribbon for the couples on their Day of Action would be the norm for active participants, but supporters could probably do well to wear something equally symbolic, like a smaller version, around their left wrist.

I'll price ribbon this week and see what we're working with, here.
Posted by Baconcat on June 16, 2009 at 3:01 PM · Report this
kim in portland 39
30: My mistake, I thought you were worried for Dan, seeing as you claim to be kind of, sort of, in support of his partial equality.

No, the beauty and inspiration is all directed towards the couples willing to be arrested, and possibly threatened, and jeered at for standing up for themselves.

Posted by kim in portland http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/11/fast-paced_video_provides_a_fu.html on June 16, 2009 at 3:01 PM · Report this
Great idea and finally -- some action!!!

However there is a flaw; the secret service will issue a press release saying there are new security rules and the new entrance to the new security cordon is 5 blocks away on some unsightly corner of NY Avenue somewhere defeating the media-generating "we're here at the White house, he can see us from his window" aspect of this idea. And if you get on TV debating whether we need this for the security of the president's body, um, they are going to bring up a noticeable higher level of chatter on racist web sites blah blah blah and you lose that debate.
But you're getting warmer, as WC said:
K.B.O.
For a first step a few arrests at local courthouses would not be amiss, nor a picket line at that DNC thing in Boston. The point is to just START. The women, the suffragettes, they got arrested everywhere.

Now there was this other idea for a really cool state by state March from Maine to DC....very genius...could combine that with stopping off at county courthouses with local couples seeking marriage licenses and getting arrested....

it all deserves more stratergury .... keep the thinking caps on...
Posted by PC on June 16, 2009 at 3:01 PM · Report this
Bonefish 41
Why do I get the feeling that if the President repealed DOMA, and anti-gay activists (who have a more violent reputation) started a similar civil disobedience campaign, Loveschild would suddenly lose all her concern for the safety of the first family?
Posted by Bonefish http://5bmisc.blogspot.com/ on June 16, 2009 at 3:04 PM · Report this
Baconcat 42
@41: That feeling is called "sound logic"
Posted by Baconcat on June 16, 2009 at 3:07 PM · Report this
@24

I don't think that paying taxes with a protest note will attract any attention. Having hundreds of couples arrested on the steps of the IRS will do the trick nicely.

The problem with state and federal DOMA laws is that they are difficult to violate on a practical basis compared to, say, Jim Crow laws. If someone tells you not to sit at the front of the bus, you can protest by sitting at the front of the bus. If the government tells you it will not recognize your marriage, there is only a limited range of situations were you break that law in an act of disobedience. Withholding unconstitutionally imposed taxes is one way, and it is a method with a pedigree going back to the American Revolution.

Again, I think we need to coin and popularize the term "gay tax", meaning the difference between the amount a gay couple pays in taxes and the amount paid by a similarly situated straight couple. This could also be an effective way to drive a wedge between libertarian conservetives and authoritarian theocons.

Dan: "GAY TAX" SPread the word!
Posted by Tom G on June 16, 2009 at 3:07 PM · Report this
First thing to do is hire a lawyer to research what the potential penalty would be for what you're proposing. Is this going to be a matter handled by the Secret Service with possible charges for threatening/blocking/whatevering the President? Or is this just going to be a citation from the DC police for blocking the sidewalk? Makes a big difference on how many volunteers you're going to get. Also makes a big difference on how the public will react. If it's the former, I think you risk a lot of backlash. People don't like it when actions are perceived as threatening to the President, whether a reasonable perception or not.
Posted by Mason on June 16, 2009 at 3:09 PM · Report this
Gays are gentle people.
Butter won't even melt in their mouths...
Posted by Angels envy Gay Virtue on June 16, 2009 at 3:10 PM · Report this
Dan, I like your idea. I'd donate.
Posted by ohthetrees on June 16, 2009 at 3:13 PM · Report this
Kim- you have inspired me!
I also pledge to outsource as much of your husbands income that he'll allow towards helping with the cost!
Posted by There Is No Time To Waste! What's his phone number? on June 16, 2009 at 3:13 PM · Report this
Dan,
How about a buttfucking marathon on the White House lawn.
That might garner media notice for The Cause.
Posted by I know it's a stretch but might Slog sponsor it? on June 16, 2009 at 3:17 PM · Report this
kim in portland 49
47: Thanks for making me smile.
Posted by kim in portland http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/11/fast-paced_video_provides_a_fu.html on June 16, 2009 at 3:20 PM · Report this
49 you are very kind
Posted by are you sure you're not gay? on June 16, 2009 at 3:27 PM · Report this
Chris in Vancouver WA 51
@ 45 -

We are angry, gentle people
And we're filling, filling up your jails.
Posted by Chris in Vancouver WA on June 16, 2009 at 3:29 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 52
@7 - good point.

When showing up from a state you should proudly wear things from your native state and talk about being from here - it makes you more of a person media-wise.

You could even have a waiting list and have Weeks Of Action in your local state and show up at specific county courthouses en mass for a month or so, rotating amongst each one.

Demand your civil rights. Politely, but firmly. Don't take no for an answer.

And, once in a while, have a fun parade. Heck, you could all dress up in wedding outfits and march en masse in the Fremont Solstice Parade this Saturday at Noon. Get your straight friends to join in as Bridesmaids and Bridesgrooms.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on June 16, 2009 at 3:29 PM · Report this
gayatheist 53
This is a great idea Dan. You should contact some people. Get the word out!
Posted by gayatheist http://www.thegayatheist.com/ on June 16, 2009 at 3:30 PM · Report this
If I had funding, I would personally stand in front of the white house myself for a year, or five years, or however damn long it took for my parents to be allowed to legally marry.

That said, if you set up some simple obvious sort of website (they are old ladies and not super net-savy), I bet my parents would be willing to go. They're both going to get furloughed soon, so they'll have time at least.
Posted by thryn on June 16, 2009 at 3:33 PM · Report this
@51
We'll build more.
Posted by Maybe in Jail you can be somebody's "wife" on June 16, 2009 at 3:39 PM · Report this
I love this idea and the other thoughts people in the comments have put forth. I would really like to see this as a reality. I would definitely give money to something like this.
Posted by au_gout on June 16, 2009 at 3:44 PM · Report this
I agree with this, as well as targetting key offices / locations for the house and senate. Or include those eating and drinking establishments that key leaders visit...nothing like making a big scene with lots of public around. Might I suggest asking for key lawmakers and the president to clarify their views on why we should be second class citizens. Use the Dallas Principles as a foundation for discussion.
Posted by BambiOnIce on June 16, 2009 at 3:51 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 58
You could even have Freedom Riders trying to get married for weeks on end in certain states, as kids from blue state colleges spent their summers trying to get registered for marriage licenses with their same-sex roommates.

Remember, this is how the miscegenation laws against whites and blacks intermarrying fell. Demand your rights, firmly but politely, and never take No for an answer.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on June 16, 2009 at 3:53 PM · Report this
Enigma 59
@58 That seems like a great idea. One of the arguments in that odious legal brief was that denying gay marriage isn't unconstitutional because gays can marry straights. Well, what if a straight wanted to marry a gay? If straights can have quickie meaningless marriages every day in Vegas, gays should have the same right to ruin their lives.
Posted by Enigma http://washingtonunitedformarriage.org/ on June 16, 2009 at 4:08 PM · Report this
"Gibbs would be forced to address DOMA on a near-daily basis."

Don't think so. There might be reporting for a week. Big names wouldn't get much coverage after that.

Since Dems are so lame on issues that most people feel strongly about such as Iraq and health care, why would they risk their hegemony for gay marriage?
Posted by abc on June 16, 2009 at 4:19 PM · Report this
Marvy idea Dan. Tell me what to do and how to donate. I'm so there.

@13: Funny, I got the distinct impression you were referring to YOURSELF when you mentioned the crazies showing up, and I took it as a not-so-veiled threat to Dan and Terry. I doubt I'm alone in that reading.

@Kim: You continue to rock, always.
Posted by jen on June 16, 2009 at 4:24 PM · Report this
This is a brilliant idea. If this actually happens, I will fly a couple there who needs it.
Posted by jade on June 16, 2009 at 4:27 PM · Report this
Baconcat 63
@61: No, Loveschild has threatened Dan and Terry multiple times and has made multiple insinuations about them in as demeaning a way as possible.
Posted by Baconcat on June 16, 2009 at 4:33 PM · Report this
Who wants a moratorium on yet another Will in Seattle post about how gays need to do something locally? [raises hand]

Dude, I do do stuff locally. Every. Freaking. Day. With every hospital visit where I have to introduce myself (not as her sister), and every time I hold hands and someone gives me a dirty look. I was quietly respectfully protesty in front of Fred Phelps, I'm going to Pride, and I keep my straight-but-not-narrow friends in the greater Seattle area informed. And it's exhausting.

I'm not going to lead a march into Fremont, or whatever asinine ideas Will comes up with. I'm going to march on Washington, as I did in the 90s, and frankly, it's just fantastic after all the awful news out of the administration. Thank heaven for Cleve.

I want to be surrounded by likeminded gays. If it's anything like previous national march, it'll be the best pride ever, with an added side bonus of righteous gay anger. And that helps fuel all the other days of the year, and all the other fighting we have to do.

Oh, and Dan, hanks for all the posts on DOMA. It's a massively appreciated lifeline. And I'd be down to be one half of the Suffragette Spokegays if your plan goes through, too.
Posted by Headed to Suffragette City (aka DC) on June 16, 2009 at 4:54 PM · Report this
Lurleen 65
@36 Sorry, I misunderstood you. I thought you meant that DOMA prevented MA from allowing you to marry, which it doesn't. But you're right that if one member of the couple isn't a citizen or doesn't have a green card, marriage is interpreted by the US Gov't as a guarantee (whether true or not) that the non-citizen will not leave the country when their visa expires. Sorry for the confusion.
Posted by Lurleen on June 16, 2009 at 5:14 PM · Report this
Put me and my man down. We could do it on our 6th anniversary.
Posted by Starfire on June 16, 2009 at 5:19 PM · Report this
My partner and I are on.

We think it's a great idea.
Posted by Clayton on June 16, 2009 at 5:19 PM · Report this
Brilliant idea Dan...as a like-minded hetero non-attorney, I don't have anything to contribute besides my support, and money. I'd be happy to donate to the cause.
Posted by HeatherG on June 16, 2009 at 5:20 PM · Report this
Theo Magyar 69
I think it is a brilliant idea. Just give us a website link - I'll send cash to support this. Formal policy change will follow the increased visibility of same sex couples and their children because the public will see that gay people are "ordinary" people - and public attitudes will shift. And perhaps everyone should get active in unions; non union workplaces; professional associations; and religious institutions to work on this too. Kim, have I mentioned you are a beautiful person? And LC, defending rights INCLUDES defending rights that do not apply to us, and of which we may not personally approve!
Posted by Theo Magyar http://connexionsandcontradictions.blogspot.com/ on June 16, 2009 at 5:26 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 70
Freedom Riders ho! Saddle up!
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on June 16, 2009 at 5:34 PM · Report this
I can't imagine why anyone would think marches are ineffective. Sure, Congress doesn't rush to enact laws immediately following a march but the long-term effects are evident. Marches—and any large gathering of people joined solely for one common goal—are unforgettable. This is why marches throughout history are brought up again and again.

I've marched on Washington maybe half a dozen times since ERA in '76, and believe me—it's empowering! It's disheartening for me to hear that Dan or anyone else believes it's an ineffective form of protest. I think if you're not there on 10/11, I think you'll regret it later.
Posted by mitten on June 16, 2009 at 5:36 PM · Report this
Hey Dan! Great idea! In fact, it's already happening... all around the nation... first in Denver, then in Long Island, then Chicago, then San Diego and San Francisco... we don't have video of every event, but check them out here:

Then visit http://nonviolence4equality.org/ to learn more!
Posted by ChristopherH_Denver on June 16, 2009 at 5:39 PM · Report this
A great article from Bilerico:

Posted by Kevin Erickson on June 16, 2009 at 5:40 PM · Report this
I'm straight and religious, but I'd donate to this. It's focused, media- savvy and long term. The White House would ignore/blow it off at their peril.
William
Posted by William5807 on June 16, 2009 at 5:41 PM · Report this
This is a beautiful idea. Marches are great, but there are so many of them, and one can get a little jaded to them--being in them and seeing them on the news. (Though, hey, still good to have them--a mass showing is a great punctuation mark). I love the ongoing nature this--the opportunity for new faces and a new story every day. It's brilliant. It's personal. It captures the imagination.
Posted by alion on June 16, 2009 at 5:59 PM · Report this
Reverse Polarity 76
I marched in the gay March On Washington in 1993. It was both one of the most memorable events of my life, and also a huge let down.

We didn't quite achieve 1 million people. But it was nevertheless the largest gay political march I've ever participated in. I'm in my mid-40s now, and it was the one single day in my entire life where I didn't feel like a minority. That alone was an incredibly empowering experience for me. It was also during the height of the debate over gays in the military after Clinton was elected, and I marched in my old uniform, along with hundreds of other gay former servicemembers.

But we were almost utterly ignored by the government. Clinton was conveniently out of town. I stayed an extra couple of days and visited the offices of a bunch of legislators, none of whom would deign to talk to me. A few months later, Don't Ask Don't Tell was passed.

So in the end, despite the euphoria of the day, it felt like a complete waste of time, money, and effort. I won't be marching this year. But maybe I can talk the BF into getting arrested with me.
Posted by Reverse Polarity on June 16, 2009 at 6:35 PM · Report this
My wife and I are in. You can tell we are a legally married CA couple because I just volunteered her and she's not home. But, she'll be up for it.
Posted by Jyg08 on June 16, 2009 at 6:35 PM · Report this
Rob L 78
Dan, I'm good for $1,000 to the legal defense fund. Tell me where to send the check.

Robert
Posted by Rob L on June 16, 2009 at 6:56 PM · Report this
I'm not in a couple but I'd definitely donate to this.
Posted by erilyn on June 16, 2009 at 7:14 PM · Report this
The only problem I see with your idea is that you would need couples that are very, very knowledgeable about DOMA as well as forthright enough to fight for their opinions. Granted, the act of defiance at the White House sends a clear enough message, but once they give in (if the give in), what then?
Posted by easilycrazyhat on June 16, 2009 at 7:18 PM · Report this
Posted by easilycrazyhat on June 16, 2009 at 7:19 PM · Report this
Stupid White Man 82
A march in October? But ladies, you won't be able to wear white shoes.
Posted by Stupid White Man http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/ on June 16, 2009 at 7:33 PM · Report this
I'd totally be willing to go to D.C. and do this.

There's no reason straight couples couldn't join in, get arrested, and show their support too. Or even singles, for that matter. Anyone who can show up on the steps, ask about DOMA, and refuse to leave could help.
Posted by B. Peregrine http://passionatesense.blogspot.com on June 16, 2009 at 8:00 PM · Report this
COMTE 84
@30:

You've never been to the White House, have you? Unless President Obama were to walk up to the fence surrounding the grounds, you can't get within about 150 yards of the building without going through one of the security checkpoints, so the likelihood of a suddenly enraged pair of marriage equality protesters busting through the multiple layers of physical barriers, not to mention the marines, secret service, and who knows what other sorts of undisclosed defensive capabilities are installed there is quite literally nil.

But, nice try with the completely unrealistic, bat-shit crazy fear-mongering - I realize it's your only really demonstrable skill.
Posted by COMTE on June 16, 2009 at 8:15 PM · Report this
Hyzenthlayk9 85
Comte @ 84: Your response to LC @ 30 gave me a much needed smile.

Very true on all counts.
Posted by Hyzenthlayk9 http://oystermind.blogspot.com/ on June 16, 2009 at 8:30 PM · Report this
kim in portland 86
Comte,

Well said.
Posted by kim in portland http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/11/fast-paced_video_provides_a_fu.html on June 16, 2009 at 8:48 PM · Report this
alyssa&mindy 87
i'm 100% willing to go to DC & get arrested with my partner. 100% willing. sign me up. where? how? when?
Posted by alyssa&mindy on June 16, 2009 at 8:53 PM · Report this
What if gay couples across America decided that on October 11th, 2009 we would all wake up first thing in the morning and go to our local government office and apply for marriage licenses. Take the day off from work, stop your other activities, but let's just all meet on Oct. 11 at our county court houses and apply for marriage licenses together.

Each couple should be polite and non-confrontational, and simply ask to be married..... and when denied, ask the reason for the denial. Same sex marriage licenses will be granted in five states on Oct. 11, 2009. Ask for a written and signed explanation for the denial of your marriage license for your records. Although it is very difficult to hear our fellow citizens and government deny us our right to our pursuit of happiness, it is equally important for them to hear themselves deny us our happiness and equality
Posted by SteveandJoe on June 16, 2009 at 8:54 PM · Report this
who cares what I call myself 89
I'll donate money.
Posted by who cares what I call myself on June 16, 2009 at 9:01 PM · Report this
This is a great idea. My partner and I are 100% ready to go to DC and get arrested. And the many, many comments coming in from straight and/or non-partnered people offering financial support are extremely heartening. Let's go!
Posted by flyalyssa on June 16, 2009 at 9:28 PM · Report this
Megan 91
I'd donate, too.

Also, send each couple in with a set of notes/outline for what to say. Then, on the off chance they would actually get in to see Obama (or, more likely, some other functionary), they'd have something to back them up so they don't panic in the heat of the moment. You don't need to be a rhetorician to effectively list your issues, reasons, demands, etc. And manifestos are fun!
Posted by Megan on June 16, 2009 at 9:38 PM · Report this
When I was a student at GW, all my friends got arrested in front of the White House on World AIDS Day to protest the lack of anti-retrovirals in the global south. It got on the cover of the Post. It works.
Posted by Steven Blum http://ohmygodseattle.blogspot.com on June 16, 2009 at 9:50 PM · Report this
If the couples don't get arrested, there won't be any news coverage. What happens if on day 2, they start letting people in to talk to a "functionary" (as in @91)? You have to consider that possibility as well.

Posted by idaho on June 16, 2009 at 10:00 PM · Report this
i never comment here
i am now
i with number 83
Dan, please don't overlook the additional ammunition if STRAIGHT COUPLES also go and get arrested for wanting to talk to Obama about repealing DOMA and supporting gay marriage this way.

i volunteer - my boyfriend and i would be *great* - he is black, and while *I* am cherokee, everyone thinks that i am white. so we evoke, vividly, Loving vs. Virginia
PLUS i am pretty badly disabled - my hip is just *messed up*, i need more surgeries on it, i HAVE to walk with a cane - that gets press. and i'm not allowed to work, and boyfriend is the manager and so can schedule vacation time (of which is has a bit) and his immediate boss is gay and would be *thrilled* if BF took vacation time for this...
Posted by denelian on June 16, 2009 at 10:18 PM · Report this
Michael of the Green 95
The press has a very short attention span, and I'd worry that they would lose interest after a week or so. In fact (and I've never been there personally), but aren't people arrested regularly already, with little fuss or press?

It just seems like there needs to be something more "newsworthy" about the display. Assuming that we were to catch the media's attention at all, then I would imagine there'd be a little mention about an arrest, and -- once someone notices the pattern -- perhaps another mention of the larger effort. But what after that? Continued coverage won't sell advertising. Some smaller media niches might occasionally say something on a slow day.

This is why large marches make sense. But maybe there's some way to make this idea interesting on an ongoing basis? Perhaps each of the couples could be profiled in a way that would draw some human interest? Call me cynical, but I don't know how long even THAT would keep people's attention, unless there were a progression of increasingly fascinating couples.

The press craves novelty, and the halflife of the novelty of this event would be very short, I think. Maybe I'm wrong.
Posted by Michael of the Green on June 16, 2009 at 11:52 PM · Report this
homo superior 96
I have some confidence that we could get more than one couple per day for a year arrested. But I like the scale of it and the persistence of it. It has legs, it has balls. Very good.
Posted by homo superior on June 16, 2009 at 11:59 PM · Report this
Drew in Palm Springs 97
That is a great idea. Having been part of the planning of numerous similar actions back in the ACT UP days of my golden youth, it seems to me that logistically it would be not too difficult to pull off.

Also, lawyers, media people, local support folks in DC come out of the woodwork for things like this.

I do think that LC @ 30 raises some important concerns though, and all the couples are carefully screened to make sure that they're not Secret Psychopathic Ninjas. That would just ruin Everything!
Posted by Drew in Palm Springs http://singletails.blogspot.com on June 17, 2009 at 12:04 AM · Report this
lzambeni 98
Why not both. If you ask me there are plenty of extremely disappointed, angry, LGBT out there right now - surely we can find enough of us to do it all! In addition, speaking of Civil Disobedience. I want to draw everyone's attention to action:

This is a NATIONAL Call to Action! Start planning and organizing TODAY in your city or town!:

NATIONAL MARRIAGE COUNTER SIT-IN FOR MARRIAGE EQUALITY

Distribute to the ENDS OF THE EARTH!

Posted by lzambeni http://www.sitin4equality.net/ on June 17, 2009 at 5:26 AM · Report this
@94 No offense, but DOMA isn't about straight people. This act is best shown with actual gay couples who want to get married/recognized as married by the government. Straight people could help by contributing financially, spreading the word, or coming up with a separate plan for civil disobedience. Maybe you could come up with some sort of demonstration showing the parallels between loving v. virginia and marriage equality for gays?

@95 The "newsworthy" part was given consideration, which is why Dan suggested that gay celebrity couples also be sent. Would it be enough? Maybe not.
Posted by Bri on June 17, 2009 at 5:58 AM · Report this
Not a bad idea, but it shouldn't be limited to couples & gay marriage. Why not open up such an action to the spectrum of issues facing our communities? The DADT folks could come. Pro-queer adoption folks could come. People with HIV facing severe cutbacks in care could come. Youth facing violence could come. TG issues could be raised. Perhaps something more in line with the breadth of focus highlighted by the Dallas Principles.
Posted by arawneibhlyn on June 17, 2009 at 6:05 AM · Report this
Rob in Baltimore 101
While I can't get arrested, (It would hurt, possibly revoke, my licensing and accreditation for my chosen profession) I will gladly donate funds.
Posted by Rob in Baltimore http://www.wishbookweb.com/ on June 17, 2009 at 6:28 AM · Report this
kladinvt 102
My husband & I would be willing to be one of the couples arrested from godless Vermont!
Posted by kladinvt on June 17, 2009 at 7:13 AM · Report this
RE: #88 - love that idea, however the 11th is a sunday and the 12th is columbus day. So this would likely have to happen on Friday the 9th.

The march is an interesting idea, but not sure who all would be left in DC government wise on that weekend.

Like Dan's idea a lot, with the right prep these couples could be great.

Maybe all of these things can happen...
Posted by baltimore guy on June 17, 2009 at 7:27 AM · Report this
A march on Washington is needed in my opinion, hopefully 6 digit numbers in turnout or do we dare hope for 7 digits, grabs attention. I remember the hundreds of thousands for the civil rights demonstrations in the 60's and participated in the numerous anti-war marches of the 70's. Peaceful civil disobedience can be a part of such a march. Such actions can be staged at various buildings of government.
I think the idea of couples being arrested may be beneficial but in my opinion the focus of such action should be at the Capitol ... ask for meetings with senators and congressmen & congresswomen.
Posted by billybob on June 17, 2009 at 7:28 AM · Report this
I would be willing to buy a plane ticket or two, but we're going to have to be very careful not to send "Nut Jobs", the couples would have to follow strict guide lines. My Partner and I are too old to get arrested. And I've been arrested back in the good ole days (I look aweful in orange).

If this can be pulled together without being insane, I think it's great.
Posted by nobama on June 17, 2009 at 8:46 AM · Report this
Ultimately, Dan, this means you still do have faith in Obama. If you didn't, you wouldn't bother to harrass Obama. Bush blissfully ignored Sheehan and thousands of other anti-Iraq War protestors. This tells me that you think that Obama will act if his feet are held to the fire. I actually think he's going to act and you all are going to take credit for it. That's OK.
Posted by thomasguy01 on June 17, 2009 at 9:23 AM · Report this
kim in portland 107
Here is some videos of nonviolent civil disobedience for marriage equality, the site may be helpful for those preparing to be arrested.

Posted by kim in portland http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/11/fast-paced_video_provides_a_fu.html on June 17, 2009 at 9:25 AM · Report this
kim in portland 108

Information in # 107 was provided by, (who's post didn't have active links):

Then visit http://nonviolence4equality.org/ to learn more!

Posted by ChristopherH_Denver
Posted by kim in portland http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/11/fast-paced_video_provides_a_fu.html on June 17, 2009 at 9:29 AM · Report this
Enigma 109
I scheduled a vacation for June 30-July 5 to visit my brother for his birthday and to visit family over the fourth. While I would still like to do this, I have decided that this time could be better spent petitioning our government for equal rights for gay and lesbian citizens.

I have decided to change my itinerary and fly to DC for that week and stand outside the White House gates from sun-up to sun-down, peacefully holding banners with quotes of the president's expressing his support for gay rights. It would be nice if I could recruit others into this, and I'm gonna try, but I'm willing to be there by myself for the week.

I'm tired of being dismissed as a wedge issue by the Democratic party who are supposed to be on our side. I am ready to stand up and challenge our government. Please stand with me.

Feel free to forward this to anyone you know that would be able to help in this cause. Not just financially, but to research the presidents quotes and get banners made up and the such. Thanks.
saunatina@gmail.com
Posted by Enigma http://washingtonunitedformarriage.org/ on June 17, 2009 at 10:31 AM · Report this
I like this idea but wonder if the intermittent nature of it (daily arrests) and MOW (one time) would have the same impact as something more continuous. Imagine a constant stream of (everchanging) people marching non-stop around the white house. Get tired? take a break and let someone else march for a while. People could sign up for shifts online to ensure that the march is never broken...24-7 until we have full civil rights.

Equal rights for the LGBT community NOW! No Excuses! No Delays!
Posted by Rainbow Rascal on June 17, 2009 at 10:31 AM · Report this
I like the idea Dan, but what can I, as a straight woman, do? I am not a single issue voter most of the time and most of my beliefs line up pretty well with the democratic party, so I've never had to be. But I think not allowing gay marriage is so far beyond wrong that I will not vote for Obama again if he keeps this up. Which will be very difficult for me since I actually think he's doing a very good job on other issues and I just really like him.

But I don't think my single vote will make much of a difference. So aside from donating very small amounts (what I can afford) to gay rights groups, what can I do to make a difference?
Posted by caliclimbergrl on June 17, 2009 at 11:03 AM · Report this
I absolutely love this idea and would like to see it happen, but what about those of us who don't have a same-sex partner we want to marry? Is there some way I can participate despite having no interest in marrying either my boyfriend or my girlfriend?
Posted by Issa on June 17, 2009 at 11:32 AM · Report this
One more March? One more Parade? One more Picnic in the Park? I don't think so.

We need civil disobedience, whether it's this idea or another, or ALL the others.

Last year, over a million people participated in A DAY WITHOUT GAYS, a one-day protest we organized that reflected not only the numbers but the contribution we make to society. As a community, we give billions to a government and economy that treats us as second class citizens. Imagine if we got 10 million to take one day off work and boycott the economy across the country? That will send a louder and clearer message to everyone...not just the D.C. Park Service.

We will be citizens! (Tony Kushner)
Posted by nydcla on June 17, 2009 at 11:48 AM · Report this
Pure genious. I'd support my brothers and sisters however possible. This issue affects us all to the very core of "what is love". Is the government qualified to decide this complex philosophical debate?

As a bi-sexual female; it is my personal query to find out how the government has the right to take away my inalieble rights to pursue my own happiness; and keep the church out of the state and the state out of my safe, sane, consentual, legal bed. Where is the Supreme Court? Where are the intellectual individuals who can think for themselves? When are we going to pull together enough to claim these rights?

I'm totally behind this very effective method.
Posted by Dawn on June 17, 2009 at 12:15 PM · Report this

I'm totally behind this very effective method.
Posted by Dawn on June 17, 2009 at 12:16 PM · Report this
Right Loveschild, the one couple who decides to show up with a weapon is going to succeed. Couples who are denied access and arrested will be nowhere near the President. If one were allowed access to the President, I can guarantee you that the entry process includes a thorough search. Getting onto the White House grounds, whether or not the President will be attending whatever it is you're entering for, is like going through airport security times 10. X-rays, metal detectors, bomb-sniffing dogs, and lots of guards with weapons. I have been on the White House grounds twice since 9/11, both for official, invitation-only events, and it took FOREVER to get through security. Think for just one second about all the threats that have been made against all the Presidents in recent history, and how few of them attained anything resembling success, and you would realize the "risk of violent incident" is a stupid, stupid argument.
Posted by Ms. D on June 17, 2009 at 12:27 PM · Report this
Mavi 117
If I was in relationship, I'd do it. Can I do it anyway? It might be a good introduction line...better than "come here often?" Wan't to get arrested?
Posted by Mavi on June 17, 2009 at 12:46 PM · Report this
Love it, but if we are going to have our couples profiles, do you not think others will be prying into their private lies in an effort to "expose" them? How to be sure something so sinister does not happen?
Posted by Darren on June 17, 2009 at 12:46 PM · Report this
Mavi 119
Watch the news, hate crimes against gays are up...look at what happened in the last few weeks in this country because of crazy right-wing hate. Dr. Tiller, the security guard at the holocaust museum. Something is going to happen to one of us no matter what. We might as well make the inevitable scenes of hate and violence mean something positive. We knows it's going to happen, don't let it happen in vain.
Posted by Mavi on June 17, 2009 at 1:00 PM · Report this
Theo Magyar 120
To Issa (# 112) I think that people who support human rights for everyone including the GLBT community (but cannot get arrested for whatever reason) could voice their support. If everyone LOUDLY, clearly, kindly , and firmly mentions their support for gay marriage we will win. Arm yourself with information and rebuttals and make a nuisance of yourself in church; at their professional and union meetings; their neighbourhood meetings; at their PTA meetings ....everywhere in fact. And contact (preferably in writing) your Congressperson and Senator and let them know where you stand and what you wnat them to do. I belive activism with loving kindness (compassion) will win!
Posted by Theo Magyar http://connexionsandcontradictions.blogspot.com/ on June 17, 2009 at 1:07 PM · Report this
KO 121
This is an EXCELLENT idea, and would have a powerful "media" effect. The subtlety is brilliant; the "drip, drip, drip" effect would be profound. By the third month (hell, the third week!), it would be a daily report on morning and evening news...

(Typically, people immediately begin taking potshots at it...)
Posted by KO on June 17, 2009 at 1:07 PM · Report this
Chef Thunder 122
This is a brilliant Idea I think my husband could be convinced. For those concerned that 2 people getting arrested would not show much impact, we could organize special days for mass arrests. The Obama’s anniversary, November 4th, whatever the date the first people got married in Massachusetts, Vermont, Iowa, California and so on.

I think the issue of standing is important and it should be gay couples getting arrested while families and friends watch (hopefully in tears) just like at our weddings.

The white knot ribbon campaign already exists http://www.whiteknot.org/ so this would be an easy tie in.

I also love the idea of sending toilet paper to the White House they treat us like shit so let’s give them something so they don’t have to soil their fingers. We did this with Matzah to the Soviet embassy to protest the refuse-niks during the 80’s. Was it effective? Probably not but at least you felt like you were doing something.
Posted by Chef Thunder on June 17, 2009 at 1:10 PM · Report this
i'm all for civil disobedience and don't mind being arrested so sign me up
but i also plan on attending the march

maybe everybody at the march should go to the white house and demand to talk to the president instead of just walking through the streets like last time?
Posted by reddevilboy on June 17, 2009 at 1:15 PM · Report this
My boyfriend and I attended the last 2 marches on Washington. The most recent one was a joke. It wasn't a march as much as it was a gay mall. I went to demand equal rights and ended being hurded through a street fair of lube and funny gay t-shirts. I keep hearing how another march would require a lot of logistics. Maybe I'm naieve but I don't think we need speakers and sponsors. I think we should all head down to DC and lie down somewhere. Clog the streets. Clog the mall. Just lay down and refuse to move. Let them come for us. Arest us. Show them we mean business. No more Mr. nice gay! In other words I agree with Dan except I think it should be a bigger protest.
Posted by 2bumbles on June 17, 2009 at 1:29 PM · Report this
I'm ready. Assign me a day. I want May 4. My birthday and anniversary.
Posted by boshea on June 17, 2009 at 1:45 PM · Report this
What about just calling your Congressman and Senators and asking them to SPONSOR legislation to repeal DOMA?

No bill has been introduced yet. If I recall, all of the Dem candidates thought it should be repealed, so, let's repeal it. It migh not be civil disobedience, but the squeaky wheel does get oiled...and the wheel is starting to squeak.
Posted by Joe Q Citizen on June 17, 2009 at 1:52 PM · Report this
Dan,

It is a brilliant idea! And so is the idea that #124 has (and I agree with you, #124--I too want to march for my rights far more than the sort of 'march' that goes on at Gay Pride Parades and any March on Washington).

Let's do this!!!
Posted by peterparker on June 17, 2009 at 1:53 PM · Report this
GayKansas 128
Kudos to any couple with that is willing to risk arrest for all of us. As an old arthritic couple I doubt we would last long on the picket line. However, we are prepared to send funding for legal fees, transportation, housing, etc. I think it would be great for DC area gay/gay friendly folks to open up their homes for those willing to put it on the line. Give them a place to crash and provide some transportation. We are in the midwest and although we've been together 40 years, we can't get married in our state. I'd love to tie the know before we die.
Great idea. I'm just wondering what happens if they don't arrest anyone. If they just let the protesters have their say and basically ignore us. Can we really achieve anything if arrests aren't made?
Posted by GayKansas on June 17, 2009 at 1:54 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 129
Only thing I should point out, is that this discriminates against poor gay homeless people, who can't afford to travel to DC.

Hence why I keep saying you need local actions too.

Parades are wonderful, but action is what changes stuff.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on June 17, 2009 at 1:55 PM · Report this
Uriel-238 130
Suffragette City @ 64, I sympathize regarding the scornful glances. Personally, I swoon over gay couples holding hands or making googly-eyes at each other.

Dan, I'm a wiz with a spreadsheet, can be up on advanced HTML within a week and am happy to maintain contact with married couples nationwide to keep them trickling forward at a day-to-day rate.

And / or, I'm willing to consolidate talking points about DOMA (and if necessary, the counter points to anti-gay and anti-gay-marriage rhetoric) so that couples are equipped if they get lucky enough to speak to someone relevant.

For some reason, the West Wing episode The Indians In the Foyer comes to mind.

Can The Stranger host a coordinating website?
Posted by Uriel-238 on June 17, 2009 at 2:22 PM · Report this
Hey, I have been thinking more about the inspiration of tree-sitters. Would any couples hold hands for days on end to demonstrate that we won't be pulled apart. Or at least couples all over the country doing a day of holdings hand where we go out just in our own neighborhoods and make our presence known.
Posted by degenincc on June 17, 2009 at 2:23 PM · Report this
Perhaps have enough people to cordon off the White House by having couples do a sit in. Not have everyone march up, but random approaches as ordinary tourists and then they would sit next to a seated couple until the White House is surrounded by several thousands of couples--sitting silently.
Posted by Ghostdancer on June 17, 2009 at 2:24 PM · Report this
Form a silent cordon of gay couples surrounding the White House--several thousand couples silently and quietly staring at the White House would unnerve anyone inside. A constant vigil with couples replacing couples every few hours.
Posted by Ghostdancer on June 17, 2009 at 2:30 PM · Report this
Posted by Ghostdancer on June 17, 2009 at 2:32 PM · Report this
This is a great idea, Dan.

My only caveat would be that 1 couple per day really is not very much...it can easily be ignored by the media (especially with the fast paced news cycles of this day). Why not 10 couples per day? I believe you'd want to hit harder and faster to get the point across. There are plenty of angry gay couples out there, I don't think it would be difficult to muster up the numbers.
Posted by on on June 17, 2009 at 2:58 PM · Report this
Great idea! Where do we sign up?
Posted by jackr on June 17, 2009 at 3:20 PM · Report this
#129. Discriminate? Why would you use that word?

This doesn't discriminate against anyone. And people are offering funding and couches for those who need it. Those who cannot go--for any reason--can participate by talking about it, supporting it vocally, or simply praying about it if they're believers. That local action you want? That's how they can participate, by talking about it locally.

Shit, why are you always such a goddamn downer?

I'm ThisClose to hiding you, Will in Seattle! Don't you fucking make me? Don't you do it!
Posted by jade on June 17, 2009 at 4:12 PM · Report this
Enigma 138
For everyone who is interested in volunteering to make this protest happen, please visit protestforhumanrights.com
The shell is up right now just to get information out there, and I already have someone working on, but it would be great to know there are others as dedicated that are willing to donate and by "martyrs" for the cause.
I'll be standing in front of the White House from July 1-4. Maybe I'll see some of you there.
Posted by Enigma http://washingtonunitedformarriage.org/ on June 17, 2009 at 4:16 PM · Report this
How about planning the march on Washington and inviting the President and scheduling a specific time for him to speak to our people on stage. If he's a no-show, the cameras can just roll on a moment of silence showing the empty podium- that he chose not to grace us with his attendence and we could have a long moment of silence for the silence gays experience on a daily basis. If he DID show, it would be a big symbolic victory!
Posted by GaryBoston on June 17, 2009 at 4:23 PM · Report this
Renton2000 140
YES! Thank you, Dan! Finally, someone who says publicly what I've been telling friends for weeks - civil disobedience is the best option available. I think the march will be waste of time - as a "veteran" of the Millennium March, I know of what I speak. But I think you're going small-scale on this, Dan. We need couples to go to their local government offices that issue marriage licenses, make the request, and then when denied they conduct a sit-in until arrested. This should be done every day. I'm serious. I look at the women's suffrage movement and the 60's civil rights movement as the best examples of consistent, continual civil disobeience. I'm a civil litigation attorney, but I've attended enough bail hearings in my time, so I would gladly help out on the legal end of matters. Count me in, Dan! It's time for the movement to become a force for real change, not the chump change offered by Obama & Co.
Posted by Renton2000 on June 17, 2009 at 5:03 PM · Report this
Why argue about which of the many very good ideas posted here we should act upon? Do them all! March. Get arrested at the White House. Demand marriage licenses at your town halls all on the same day. Write your congressmen and women a lot. Stand in a very big silent circle around the White House. Refuse to pay the taxes that are discriminatory.

Do all of these things. Don't let the perfect plan be the enemy of the good plan.
Posted by Geoffrey on June 17, 2009 at 5:21 PM · Report this
Dan - I'm getting dubious of the motives - perhaps you really do have the gay community's best interest in mind but there is some benefit (web traffic) to being so heavy handed in your criticism of Obama.

My POV, you are making a mountain out of a mole hill. We are five months into this administration which has committed to the change we want. Sure nothing's happened yet, and for good reason. Yet you are talking about a million gay march on Washington DC because change isn't happening fast enough. Is this reasonable? Forget about political expediency... even if it was... seriously... are you being reasonable? I don't think you are.

Should Obama/Biden have addressed DADT before saving GM and BofA... Or perhaps DOMA should have been repealed with the stimulus bill... or perhaps the foreclosure legislation...

This protest is noise. The President is doing a fantastic job. History is not going to be kind to this tantrum (if it remembers at all).
Posted by RayB on June 17, 2009 at 5:26 PM · Report this
This idea reminds me a lot of the movie 'Iron Jawed Angels' with Hilary Swank where the women did this exact same thing for their right to vote. It worked for them, so maybe it will work for us too.
Posted by Aikijou on June 17, 2009 at 6:26 PM · Report this
This is *brilliant*!

Although, it's only a great idea if it leads to some organizing. If you're serious about being involved, email me at demandingequality@gmail.com

If you're ready to step forward to turn this brainstorm into reality, then let's get to work!
Posted by Demanding Equality on June 17, 2009 at 6:49 PM · Report this
reverend dr dj riz 145
i'm sorry i'm gettin to this thread late..
i'm sittin here staring 60 years on the planet and as much civil disobediance as i've been involved in i've managed not to get arrested. it feels like now might be about the time..i like the idea of me and my husband gettin arrested on THEIR anniversary.
i'm also thinking of appealing to mrs obama on this. i mean, as first lady and all, i'm sure she rubs shoulders with some gays who can't eat at the marriage table. perhaps appealing to her may bring some more pressure to bear on the isssue.
Posted by reverend dr dj riz on June 17, 2009 at 7:46 PM · Report this
incognito 146
I am in! This is the one cause i would definitely donate to with all my passion. Thanks Dan!
Posted by incognito on June 17, 2009 at 8:03 PM · Report this
With the current economic crisis going on, many families in poorer parts of the country have more to be concerned about than same-sex marriages. Gays and lesbians, but especially gay men, have the highest level of disposable income and can otherwise live pretty happily. To many Americans, this protest is going to look like a bunch of spoiled children kicking and screaming at a birthday party in Beverly Hills. Just saying.
Posted by mk93551 on June 17, 2009 at 9:17 PM · Report this
kim in portland 148
@ 147,

Are we talking about gay and lesbians as individuals, or families headed by gays and lesbians? There is a big difference, because if we are talking about families, than the rest of us should be aware that they are also struggling to make ends meet, are facing unemployment, lack access to health insurance etc., and on top of that their viewed as second class citizens, second class families. Marriage equality is one way to protect these families, who share the same concerns as many families in poorer parts of the country. In fact some of these familes also exist in poorer parts of the country. Don't these families deserve all the same rights, protections and benefits as families headed by heterosexuals? Will there ever be a time of pristine peace and economic security in this country when it will be okay for these families to seek being treated as equal citizens under the laws of this country? Does this country first have to make everything perfect for the heterosexuals before it can consider equality for homosexuals? My thinking is there will always be some reason we can argue that they should wait, we will always be able to come up with some reason to deny their families equality. There will never be a right time, the right time is when they stand up for themselves, stand up for their families, and demand their equality.
Posted by kim in portland http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/11/fast-paced_video_provides_a_fu.html on June 17, 2009 at 10:19 PM · Report this
I think gay people around the country should make both the march and some ongoing civil disobedience event happen. The messages are different, one being a broadbased thing, the other being quite specific. (I presume the march won't be just one issue.) And they will draw different levels of attention from various constituencies. My partner and I have attended every march on Washington execept the last, which seemed too slick and mainstream (HRC) for our taste. It looked, also, too much like a rock concert on C-SPAN. And did anyone expect Bush to notice? Really ho-hum.

But now the times, and the occupant of the White House and the Congress majority, has changed. Even if the march's main message is "when are you going to keep your promises?" then it will have the secondary message of "we're here today and we're not going away." The military may be dragging its feet on doing its study that will support the president's views, which are held by the majority of Americans, but if "Don't Ask Don't Tell" is still in force that's another reason to march on Washington.

A million people will come away with personal stories and memories of the big day. Let's not lose sight of that, either.

And as for not doing something because poor families somewhere have other things on their minds, and someone might think we look like "spoiled children," that big of lame whine is totally beside the point. The three grassroots marches we attended -- which drew bigger turnouts each time over the years -- we're attended by people who wanted to make several political points, change the world, etc., and do it in a VISIBLE way. It was about more than writing checks in the privacy of donors' homes, or joining a group on Facebook.

I'll see you in the nation's capital in October.
More...
Posted by Almost63inJersey on June 17, 2009 at 10:29 PM · Report this
I like it. My husband and I would do it. And keep brainstorming with more stuff like this.
Posted by marriedjeffrey on June 17, 2009 at 10:34 PM · Report this
reverend dr dj riz 151
147.. as a middle aged gay living in seattle i only have health insurance through my partner's benefits through his job..dental insurance is trickier.. we live in affordable housing and at this stage of my life ( god forbid ) if something catatrophic would happen to me.. well we would be devastated finacially.. we have no disposable income and none of my gay friends don't have it either..he used to work at va hospital and while it might currently be on track to afford partner benefits, it didn't when he worked there.
can you not imagine gay families and gay people in poorer parts of the country , who have no access to nothing.. rights or services no nothing ? and what about minority gays in poor parts of this country who have even less.. please don't mistake this for some urban privilege issue..
please don't...
Posted by reverend dr dj riz on June 17, 2009 at 10:34 PM · Report this
i'm pro-science and i vote 152
it's a super idea
Posted by i'm pro-science and i vote http://www.prettyopenended.com on June 17, 2009 at 11:52 PM · Report this
In addition we should withhold any campaign contributions to any Democrat (or any politician running for a national office) who does not expressly support the repeal of DOMA. Hit them where it hurts.
Posted by Kennjamin on June 18, 2009 at 6:35 AM · Report this
Let's see, rally to stop Bush invading Iraq. March against Prop 8. Works, not so much.

The sit-in protest idea has merit. Alas, it's possible to render it rather impotent. A Bushian Whitehouse would order the guards to let the couple(s) sit there, all day, all night, in the sun, the snow, the lawn sprinklers, until they're dying of thirst and tired of sitting in their [soiled] clothes. "You're not under arrest. You're under guard. You may not communicate with anyone, but you may leave any time you wish."

This type of rotating sit-in would be much less dramatic. And with Obama moving ever closer to Bush's style...
Posted by not-a-joiner on June 18, 2009 at 6:51 AM · Report this
And this is what would happen... you would get arrested and then after some cool down time you would be let go. This is what happens daily at the White House. Working down the street from the White House every day we see all sorts of things. Frankly, unless its a celebrity couple a week it wouldn't matter much in the daily workings of the WHite House.

How about we actually force our gay leaders to do something other than cozy up to straight politicians. We need to take this grassroots and show we are your son, daughter, father, mother, neighbor, friend, coworker, etc? Why don't we do a nationwide "I'm Out" campaign where everyone who is gay or lesbian or an ally wheres a distinctive color to symbolically show who we are. We can also show up at our GLBT insitution meetings and demand for return on investment for our money.

Sorry, but getting arrested at the White House is not really going to make any point and in the end no record will be even on the books.

Oh and the weekend that the march is supposed to happen my partner and I are having our wedding coincidently.
Posted by Daxmcg on June 18, 2009 at 7:30 AM · Report this
kim in portland 156
Daxmcg,

Congratulations to you both.
Posted by kim in portland http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/11/fast-paced_video_provides_a_fu.html on June 18, 2009 at 9:28 AM · Report this
I like the idea but it will only be symbolic since Obama doesn't have the power to repeal laws. This should be done to our WA congressional delegation first and then the rest of the members of Congress until they relent and repeal it. Here's a link to the Senate vote http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/ro… and the House vote http://clerk.house.gov/evs/1996/roll316.…. Every "Yea" vote that is still in in office should get an unfriendly visit.
Posted by Eleven Finger Freak on June 18, 2009 at 9:49 AM · Report this
Enigma 158
For the newcomers who don't want to read every comment here-
I've started a website and message board for the organization of a protest. I will be in front of the White House from July 1-4 holding a banner with a quote from the President supporting us. I encourage everyone who is interested in civil rights to join in this effort.
If you have other ideas to forward equal rights, let it be heard in the message board.
protestforhumanrights.com
Posted by Enigma http://washingtonunitedformarriage.org/ on June 18, 2009 at 10:22 AM · Report this
Dan inspired me to blog about this... although I doubt he agrees with me...

Posted by Eleven Finger Freak on June 18, 2009 at 12:30 PM · Report this
We are SO in! (www.JustMarried.us)
Posted by JustMarriedUs on June 18, 2009 at 1:52 PM · Report this
I think this is a GREAT idea!

It is just the kind of action that took place during the Civil Rights movement of the 50's and 60" and the anti-war movement of the 70's.

The relentlessness of the daily press coverage is great. And, I like the idea of taking it directly to the President.

It is great also because straight people who care about civil rights in this country could participate by donating money to the protestors.
Posted by stl dem on June 18, 2009 at 2:52 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 162
If too many people sign up for the DC action, why not start one at your local County courthouse? Or if a vet, file for your same-sex spouse to be listed as your spouse.

Actions. Polite. Firm. But not taking No for an answer.

This is how the miscegenation laws fell.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on June 18, 2009 at 4:18 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 163
oh, hey, if you're in Seattle, people can sign up at the last minute to be in parades - this doesn't count as an action, sadly, cause parties and parades are well .. not.

What would happen if 100 gay married couples marched in the Seafair Torchlight Parade behind a float that was ... um ... heck whatever.

And stood in front of the announcers stands where the cameras were until they had been on TV for 30 minutes?

The more the merrier. I'm just giving my ideas - you should think up and ACT on your own.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on June 18, 2009 at 4:22 PM · Report this
joe_perez 164
I'm not on board with on this proposal, Dan, largely because I think it's too DC-centric, would probably be too top-down in its implementation, and probably wouldn't get as much press coverage after the initial arrests as you think. Also, I don't think the psychology behind two solitary people getting arrested by themselves is very healthy nor the symbolism all that great (if people are going to be arrested for civil disobedience, it really requires more communal support--the more the merrier). However, I think the image of committed gay couples knocking on the government's front door to ask for marriage is fantastic.

I would get off the fence for this counterproposal: let's set up an infrastructure (web site, organized endorsements from community leaders, widespread publicity, etc.) to encourage every gay couple in the country to knock on the doors of THEIR OWN LOCAL GOVERNMENT. Couples should go to City Hall, Governor's mansions, state legislature halls, and everywhere people with influence can do something about marriage equality. Yes, they should be willing to sit down and get arrested. And their visits could be coordinated with other couples and media via a website. However, for the most part their visits will catch the government entity off guard. A thousand news stories in a thousand local, regional, and state media markets spread out over an indefinite period of time will do a lot more to attract attention than a single, predictable top-down protest that would probably quickly become a yawnfest.

Best feature of this counterproposal: nobody will have the excuse to stay uninvolved because they don't have the airfare or connections to be one of "Dan Savage's 730 Chosen Ones". You want to protest and are willing to get arrested? Great. Just go to the website or Facebook page, pick your location, announce your plans to your online buddies, send tweets or emails to the media, and take the bus down the street to the doorsteps of the government entity that is currently part of the problem ... and then show them how they can be part of the solution.
More...
Posted by joe_perez http://seattle-career.com on June 18, 2009 at 6:00 PM · Report this
i agree with dan on his proposal, the point of this proposal is not because some local official denied our rights--ITS BECAUSE OUR PRESIDENT GAVE US HIS WORD THAT THINGS WOULD CHANGE FOR THE BETTER UNDER HIS ADMINSTRATION--AND THEY HAVE NOT AND HE HAS BASICALLY GIVEN US CRUMBS.

the drip by drip is quite appealing to me--everyday the white house will have to deal with the issue.

i am not internet savy so i hope there are others out there to put together a campaign--i would be happy to contribute whatever i am able.

richard
Posted by cadenarich on June 18, 2009 at 6:16 PM · Report this
Hi Dan
We are a gay married couple, and we are up for getting arrested at the White House. Let us know when and where, and we'll be there (and at the October march, too)
Grant
Posted by Grant on June 18, 2009 at 6:52 PM · Report this
The White House? Why not the Capitol?

Dan, as you are obviously aware, trespassing on Federal property is a crime. I hope you and the other organizers are also aware that those who consciously act to plan such crimes or otherwise aid in their commission, can be charged with conspiracy. When the Federal Marshals raid your home to arrest you and take all of your computers and external storage media for inspection, you probably won't be quite as happy with your plan.
Posted by IANAL on June 18, 2009 at 7:08 PM · Report this
Enigma 168
@165 & 166
The efforts already begun.
protestforhumanrights.com
Posted by Enigma http://washingtonunitedformarriage.org/ on June 18, 2009 at 7:23 PM · Report this
Why bother going to D.C.? Why bother dialoging with the bigot Obama and the powers that be at all? We don't need his leadership. We don't need a leader at all. The age of strong leaders is dead. Power to the people and all... Grassroots community action. Let's STOP FIGHTING for our rights...
When gays and lesbians die, unlike every heterosexual American, everything we have scrimped, saved and sweated for will NOT go to our spouse and kids. Unlike heterosexual spouses, same-sex spouses will be forced to pay taxes an our family's nest eggs unlike ANY heterosexual American-even those heteros who marry in Las Vegas on a drunken whim. Our spouses and our children will NOT receive our Social Security benefits like every other American. There are over 1300 federal laws -examples of the ways in which our families will be ROBBED of the same basic financial rights that any straight person receives, even those living on death row as mass murderers. THIS is what the fight for "gay marriage" is about, NOT the need for social approval from hetero bigots. It is about EQUAL REPRESENTATION UNDER THE CONSTITUTION. We go to work. We pay our taxes. We pay our bills like anyone else. We contribute to our local and national communities. And for this we get WHAT?! Not even the same government representation as a heterosexual mass murderer on death row. Enough is enough.

This anti-gay caste system is a form of government enforced indentured servitude. That's right. A form of slavery. It is an untenable form of government in modern times, and it will NO LONGER be tolerated. To hell with polls and the public opinions of bigots. To hell with waiting- for what??? Like the straights, our baby boomer generation is not getting any younger! We need equal rights and protections for our families NOW. The solution is simple, and legal, though it doesn't involve begging for scraps from bigots or the powers that be, or wasting our time educating and reaching out to reprobates.

1.) Gays and Lesbians must put their federal taxes (and state taxes too if one lives in a state without marriage equality) into massive, fiscally transparent "escrow" accounts, until our taxation status is equalized. The IRS is only doing their job- they don't care who you are as long as you pay what you owe, so this is no attack against them personally, but unfortunately for them they are caught in the middle of this, so...
2.) Gays and Lesbians must stop paying into a Social Security system which will never pay out benefits to us as Gays and Lesbians. Again, a massive "escrow" account.
3.) The interest on these accounts should go toward legal representation, NOT for attorneys to introduce cases to "fight for" our rights incrementally, on a case by case basis, but purely as defensive litigators. Let the fight COME TO US.
4.) All Gay and Lesbian political donations and support to go to a third party. A party that will truly represent the people- ALL the people, without being horribly compromised by a long history of political malfeasance. A TRUE "new hope".
More...
Posted by OneButch on June 18, 2009 at 7:35 PM · Report this
I think the civil-disobedience-arrest-a-day idea is brilliant, for all the reasons stated above. Sign me up -- my partner of 18 years and I will be there!
Posted by wtuthill on June 18, 2009 at 7:47 PM · Report this
If we could get away from work (me) and class (my partner), and afford the trip from Dallas to DC, I think we'd definitely participate. This is a great idea! We just celebrated our 9th anniversary in May - this could be a late anniversary trip for us. ;-)
Posted by Brian-n-Dallas on June 18, 2009 at 7:58 PM · Report this
Why not include willing straight couples too? Straight married couples who will tell Obama that DOMA demeans their marriages?
Posted by Straight Married Woman on June 18, 2009 at 8:14 PM · Report this
You can also "disobey" by boycotting the Democratic party until they wake up and stop taking us for granted. Join this Facebook group to show your solidarity: http://slog.thestranger.com/slog/archive…
Posted by lpyoung on June 18, 2009 at 9:05 PM · Report this
merry 174
Can we get Ellen to start talking about this idea on her show???

Hey Ellen!

Posted by merry on June 18, 2009 at 11:01 PM · Report this
merry 175
And you know what else would be great? A national ad hoc coalition of small business owners, owners of businesses that do BIG business at weddings - florists, photographers, caterers, bakers, tailors, DJs, etc etc etc - petitioning their elected leaders at every level. A nice big ad in the New York Times, maybe.... A letter-writing campaign, a deluge of emails....... Why should they be deprived of all those revenue dollars (especially in these hard times), because they're forced by law to discriminate against their friends and neighbors? It might be another angle from which we can approach this issue, and possibly get more people involved by considering yet another unfair financial impact of these discriminatory statutes.......

Posted by merry on June 19, 2009 at 12:41 AM · Report this
Oh my. This is brilliant.

I belong to the Yahoo group Out4Immigration, which is primarily striving to get the Uniting American Families Act passed, but also serves as a support group of sorts for bi-national same-sex couples. Obama is comprising his integrity and must find the gumption to do the right thing by all of us. This would certainly give him more than a little help.

How about some single people coming, being American Citizens who cannot sponsor their loved one for immigration? I'd do it.
Posted by manman on June 19, 2009 at 1:03 AM · Report this
How about if each couple (all legally married at the state level) refuses to leave until Obama meets with them and either 1) repudiates the statements made by DOMA and the briefing, which means he could no longer let them stand politically, or 2) tells them that their marriage is not valid (and that it is comparable to incest, etc) in person, while looking them in the eye, and in front that couple's children and other family members who they will have brought with them to bear witness.

If he won't come say these things to the family, they insist and refuse to leave until arrested. If he agrees to see them but tries to smooth things over or dodge the question, they also refuse to leave until he speaks those statements personally. If he (and I don't think he would) does affirm that gay marriage is invalid and equal to incest and child rape, they would thank him for being honest about his beliefs and politely leave. Then another couple comes the next day and starts the process over again; it is likely that if he did manage to say those things to one family, he would not be able to say them to a second one.
Posted by erika on June 19, 2009 at 1:36 AM · Report this
As a conseravtive who sympathizes with you on this issue, I ask, considering how deep in the tank for Obama the press is, do you really think they would cover it?
Posted by BSC on June 19, 2009 at 5:22 AM · Report this
Something like this is a really good idea. it should start exactly as you said. Well planned and organized.

But then it should spread too from first the white house, to couples showing up at congress, at the supreme court, at the houses of the legislatures in states across the country, to police stations, to military bases, to anywhere where people aren't doing what's necessary to protect the rights of gays.

As these faces appear on television, again and again and again, public support would build up like a tidal wave. The call to have these peoples be pardoned with their records expunged would start to grow. All this could and SHOULD lead up to a March. A march that will get so much more public support than you'd get if you march now. A march that includes millions of people supportive of gay rights and the people who have been arrested.

Hopefully it wouldn't even have to get that far. But if it does,it could work very well.
Posted by nephyo on June 19, 2009 at 8:37 AM · Report this
Enigma 180
Everyone commenting here, offering support and a commitment to stand at the White House is great, but it takes more than words. You need to stand where your words take you.
It's time to organize. Dan gave us a great starting point, but we are all independent people that can stand on our own.
I have made a commitment to stand in front of the White House from July 1-4. When will you be there?
protestforhumanrights.com
Posted by Enigma http://washingtonunitedformarriage.org/ on June 19, 2009 at 8:45 AM · Report this
Enigma 181
Had to wait to today to buy the ticket- payday and all. But can't wait to be in DC.

TRAVELERS

Saunatina Sanchez

FLIGHT INFORMATION

Flight: Alaska Airlines AS20
Departs: Seattle (SEA) on Tue, Jun 30 at 8:40 am
Arrives: Chicago-O'Hare (ORD) on Tue, Jun 30 at 2:30 pm

Flight: American Airlines AA4318 (Alaska Airlines AS4333)
Departs: Chicago-O'Hare (ORD) on Tue, Jun 30 at 5:45 pm
Arrives: Baltimore (BWI) on Tue, Jun 30 at 8:45 pm

Flight: American Airlines AA3991 (Alaska Airlines AS4116)
Departs: Baltimore (BWI) on Sun, Jul 5 at 11:35 am
Arrives: Chicago-O'Hare (ORD) on Sun, Jul 5 at 12:40 pm

Flight: Alaska Airlines AS23
Departs: Chicago-O'Hare (ORD) on Sun, Jul 5 at 3:30 pm
Arrives: Seattle (SEA) on Sun, Jul 5 at 6:01 pm
Posted by Enigma http://washingtonunitedformarriage.org/ on June 19, 2009 at 10:45 AM · Report this
I'm a straight, single 21 year-old, broke beyond belief...but I'd donate what I have. And I'd wear a ribbon in support. Tell me where to get one, and I'll wear it. This needs to change.
Posted by great idea on June 19, 2009 at 11:29 AM · Report this
Following up on my #177, I want to support those here who have suggested that Obama himself might not be the best person to do an action towards right now, and also that given how much strategy it takes to mount and escalate an effective CD campaign, it might be a good idea to first get in touch with Soulforce and Nonviolence4Equality and get on the same page with them, even if you plan on doing your own thing (or maybe you have already). In any case, it sounds like 2009 is going down in history!
Posted by erika on June 19, 2009 at 11:30 AM · Report this
We live in California. We would love to come to Washington, D.C. over the weekend of October 10-11. However, we are getting married in Victoria, B.C. on July 10, 2009. Our minister put us in contact with a minister in B.C. for the ceremony. Our church is going to give us a celebration sometime in July when we cross the border back into the U.S. Finally, on October 10, we are having a great reception for all of our friends and relatives who were going to be coming to our wedding here in northern California before the Prop 8 catastrophe. Our event at a local resort ought to be going on at the same time as the Washington march. We might be a West Coast contingent as we are celebrating our twenty-year relationship and our cross-the-border marriage.

Stephen and John
Posted by Oracle09 on June 19, 2009 at 6:55 PM · Report this
Pressure that bigot in the White House...
Posted by faggot on June 19, 2009 at 10:38 PM · Report this
I'm in for financial support and website development.
Posted by Adam on June 20, 2009 at 9:15 PM · Report this
Actually, I think we need to begin staging sit-ins at the premises of employers who are proven to discriminate against LGBT persons and at the homes of landlords who discriminate. Every time an LGBT person is discriminated against in employment or housing, we need to send action teams to protest and get media attention on these bigots. I have lots of other ideas too! We need to show we're not going to take discrimination laying down any more! It is time for us to move to the front of the bus!

Another idea I have is to have hundreds of LGBT people line up for marriage licenses in courthouses around the country and be denied. If we can tie up the bureaucracy with nuisance applications, we can inconvenience people enough to make them think about why this issue is so important to us. We could also flood military recruiting stations with applications to be in the military from openly LGBT people. Let's gum up the works, people!
Posted by GeorgeInColumbus on October 14, 2009 at 3:13 PM · Report this