Monday, May 18, 2009

Did you see Orgy of Tolerance at On the Boards this weekend?

Posted by on Mon, May 18, 2009 at 1:24 AM

Anyone else who saw it now unable to sleep? Am staring at the ceiling thinking about vaginas giving birth to cans of Rainier, that guy having sex with that rifle, and shopping carts dancing through infinity.

No. But I just found CriticWatch's 'Ben Lyons quote of the week' at http://www.efilmcritic.com/feature.php?f….

His teeth look like one of those overbleached unibridges and his movie IQ seems to be on par with that of belly lint.

So, how was the Cheese festival?
Posted by Your Name Here on May 18, 2009 at 1:55 AM · Report this
Catalina Vel-DuRay 3
Christopher dear, that's not how beer is made. Do you need Auntie Catalina to explain the facts of life to you? I would think that Dan would handle that, but perhaps he's busy with other things.
Posted by Catalina Vel-DuRay http://www.danlangdon.com on May 18, 2009 at 5:57 AM · Report this
BLUE 5
Slept like a baby.
Posted by BLUE on May 18, 2009 at 6:13 AM · Report this
Cracker Jack 7
Hopefully seeing it in Avignon in a couple months. Are you going to review it?
Posted by Cracker Jack on May 18, 2009 at 6:43 AM · Report this
Cato the Younger Younger 8
When beer comes out of a vagina it is just as God wants it to be. Praise to Jesus!!!
Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on May 18, 2009 at 7:13 AM · Report this
Fifty-Two-Eighty 9
Cato, that would pretty much be my definition of the perfect woman. Make mine Newcastle, though.
Posted by Fifty-Two-Eighty http://www.nra.org on May 18, 2009 at 7:20 AM · Report this
kid icarus 12
Some of the imagery was pretty unnerving, particularly the Abu Ghraib recreation. Overall though, I came away with a great appreciation for the choreography and direction. The entire show was very fluid and mesmerizing. Mostly it just made me want a cigarette. Damn you Frenchies and your Gauloises!
Posted by kid icarus http://absintheandoranges.com/ on May 18, 2009 at 8:51 AM · Report this
Yes, I saw it and no, no problems sleeping. Prior to the show I kept hearing that people either loved it or hated it, but I actually came in somewhat neutral. Overall it was a pretty out-there piece, but some segments had the feel of a high school level fringe production ("overt consumerism is bad, m'kay?").

But the prolonged standing ovation the audience threw at it? Unwarranted.
Posted by dicon on May 18, 2009 at 8:54 AM · Report this
Bub 14
Though the show had some flaws, I am definitely glad that I went to see it last night. Perhaps this says something about my regular visual diet, but I wasn't shocked by the rifle in the ass or the perpetual hand-jobs and masturbation. My biggest complaint was that most of the "vignettes" went on too long, but maybe that is a reflection of my American fast-food consumerist attention span. Some of the early bits (fashion consulting Jesus, stretching dollar bills) bombed, but the show hit its stride when the women gave birth to M&Ms and Rainier beer. I was unexpectedly jarred by the Abu Gharib recreations, and the shopping cart ballet was much more beautiful and thrilling than one might imagine. Finally, I think the standing ovation was more an appreciation for these performers than for the show itself; they traveled far to put on this show for somewhat conservative Seattlites.
Posted by Bub on May 18, 2009 at 9:11 AM · Report this