Thursday, April 30, 2009

Introducing The Stranger's Happy Hour iPhone App!

Posted by on Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 2:00 PM

a0ec/1241113827-picture_3.pngGot an iPhone? Then check out The Stranger's brand new iPhone application—Cocktail Compass! Cocktail Compass makes all of The Stranger's invaluable happy hour information available at the tip of your cheap-alcohol-craving finger.

Say you're standing at the corner of 45th and University at 5 pm—you just got off work and you're looking for a place to drink. Just open up Cocktail Compass and it will supply you with a list of nearby bars with happy hours happening right that very moment! It'll even tell you what their specials are!

With Cocktail Compass you'll be able to:

*Easily find happy hours that are happening near you RIGHT NOW.
*Search for bars with your preferred features (patios, pool, dancing, free wi-fi, etc).
*Bookmark your favorite places.
*And, once you've gotten good and drunk, you can call a cab quickly and easily!

Best part: It's totally free.

It's 2:00 pm—happy hour starts soon. You don't want to waste this weather, do you? Download and start drinking!

UPDATE: Find a bug? Missing your favorite happy hour? Please email us at cocktailcompass@thestranger.com.

Just downloaded and checked it out - best feature of this app? Touch here to call a cab! No more trying to figure out the number when you are drunkies!
Posted by drinks please! on April 30, 2009 at 2:15 PM · Report this
Is someone working on an Android port?
Posted by Renton Mike on April 30, 2009 at 2:19 PM · Report this
You guys should've charged bitches for this. Just to be bitches.
Posted by Mr. Doe on April 30, 2009 at 2:20 PM · Report this
Developer should be nominated for a (Evil) Genius Award.
Cheers
Posted by itsalways5o'c.forgetit... on April 30, 2009 at 2:23 PM · Report this
Thank you!
Posted by grateful iPhone user on April 30, 2009 at 2:25 PM · Report this
This might explode. You could be giving up a tremendous amount of cash if you can make this app work all over the U.S. Hopefully, you'll at least get great press out of this.
Posted by firewalkwithme on April 30, 2009 at 2:30 PM · Report this
do one for pot dealers.
Posted by please on April 30, 2009 at 2:31 PM · Report this
Make one for the Google phone, please.
Posted by Jeff on April 30, 2009 at 2:39 PM · Report this
Can u make something like this for the free bottom of the line Sprint phone?
Posted by jessejb on April 30, 2009 at 2:41 PM · Report this
Very nice.
Posted by w7ngman on April 30, 2009 at 2:42 PM · Report this
Do you know how your happy hour database compares to unthirsty.com?
Posted by w7ngman on April 30, 2009 at 2:42 PM · Report this
Or www.sevennites.com?

P.S. fucking Apple, the latest revision to my app has been stuck in approval for 9 days.
Posted by Westlake, son! on April 30, 2009 at 2:48 PM · Report this
So many things that make me yearn more and more a sweet iPhone. Damnit.
Posted by Original Monique on April 30, 2009 at 2:53 PM · Report this
Dang, when does Drunk of the Week come out?

Makes me wish I had an iPhone - maybe i'll get one of those cheap $49 ones made in China and save the $450 you need for the legit version.
Posted by Will in Seattle on April 30, 2009 at 2:56 PM · Report this
you just won my heart and mind.
Posted by formerly bitter anonymous on April 30, 2009 at 3:00 PM · Report this
Does this use GPS or do you have to type in the addy?
Posted by TheMisanthrope on April 30, 2009 at 3:02 PM · Report this
C'mon!!! BlackBerry love??? Hmmm???
Posted by Shane on April 30, 2009 at 3:05 PM · Report this
@2, 8 - We're definitely interested in an Android port. No immediate plans, though.

@16 - it uses the iPhone's built-in location awareness. GPS or pseudo-GPS, depending on which phone version you have.
Posted by Anthony Hecht on April 30, 2009 at 3:07 PM · Report this
Sort by "Featured" would be sweet. Also, "feature" more bars.
Posted by Jeremy from Seattle on April 30, 2009 at 3:08 PM · Report this
Android please :-)
Posted by Shawn on April 30, 2009 at 3:10 PM · Report this
It can not detect my location at my job in Bellevue. Have to try again when I get home.
Posted by First Time on April 30, 2009 at 3:13 PM · Report this
@18 Thus, there is no iPod Touch version yet. :-(
Posted by TheMisanthrope on April 30, 2009 at 3:14 PM · Report this
@21 - Did you get an error message of some kind? The app doesn't detect your location, it just asks the phone. Email us at cocktailcompass@thestranger.com with any details you have. Thanks!
Posted by Anthony Hecht on April 30, 2009 at 3:16 PM · Report this
There's already an Application called "Happy Hours" in the iTunes store, which has every happy hour in Seattle on it. Has more detailed info and pics of all of the places as well, but this looks pretty neat as well.
Posted by Tim Taylor on April 30, 2009 at 3:20 PM · Report this
@22 - it works fine on an iPod Touch. If you're on Wi-Fi, an iPod Touch should know it's location (not as accurate as full GPS, but should be good enough to get nearby bars). If the iPod isn't online, you still have access to all of the data via the Search and Browse tabs.
Posted by Anthony Hecht on April 30, 2009 at 3:20 PM · Report this
@23 It asked to use GPS, I said ok. Then it said it couldn't detect my location and it was going to use Seattle Center.
Posted by First Time on April 30, 2009 at 3:26 PM · Report this
Thanks @24, I've now downloaded both apps. Will be sure to put both to the test! Will then fall and drown in my own puke!
Posted by dc.al.coda on April 30, 2009 at 3:28 PM · Report this
You are forgiven for all things Mudede.

Thank you.
Posted by YES! on April 30, 2009 at 3:31 PM · Report this
You people rock.
Posted by violet_dagrinder on April 30, 2009 at 3:33 PM · Report this
@27, no problem! I'm comparing them now and it looks like Happy Hours has much more comprehensive info as well (198 happy hours vs. 91 on Cocktail Compass at 3:30pm). Either way, more than enough options for me to go out drinking on the cheap!
Posted by Tim Taylor on April 30, 2009 at 3:34 PM · Report this
How much does a typical drinker save by buying drinks at happy hour instead of regular hours?
Posted by stinkbug on April 30, 2009 at 3:46 PM · Report this
Gee, I guess I'll just have to keep doing this the old-fashioned way - by using my phone to log onto Opera or Sky Fire and looking up the information on teh Internet.
Posted by COMTE on April 30, 2009 at 3:47 PM · Report this
This is wonderful. I love you.
Posted by another Andy on April 30, 2009 at 3:48 PM · Report this
This is amazing.
Posted by Jen on April 30, 2009 at 3:48 PM · Report this
@15: So is this what we should have been doing in Iraq?
Posted by Original Monique on April 30, 2009 at 3:59 PM · Report this
Awesome!!
Posted by Todd on April 30, 2009 at 4:02 PM · Report this
Awesome, thanks. I'm by Gasworks right now, and for some reason the app doesn't tell me about Kate's Pub in Wallingford, which has a great happy hour.
Posted by Lilting Missive on April 30, 2009 at 4:12 PM · Report this
I’m digging the app, nicely done! It'd be nice to see happy hours starting within the next 15 minutes or so incorporated into the app. (Maybe even have the whole thing on "bar time"!)

Also, any 2AM Easter Eggs in there? :-)
Posted by Paul on April 30, 2009 at 4:18 PM · Report this
Nice Job, Anthony.

Certainly more useful than my iphone app: http://iflush.net

Happy hours are interesting, but what I really want to know is where can I dance tonight.
Posted by seandr on April 30, 2009 at 4:24 PM · Report this
This is fantastic! Thanks!
Posted by Zach on April 30, 2009 at 4:29 PM · Report this
Hmmm - it's a fine app and all, I just prefer the GoTime Happy Hour app since it has WAY more happy hours. I like that GoTime's allows you to filter by time so I can plan meet-ups in advance as well.

@17 i have a blackberry, m.gotime.com works great on it.

Cocktail Compass is quite the clever name though!!
Posted by lynn on April 30, 2009 at 4:45 PM · Report this
Awesome! But isn't there already an app like this? I have it on my iphone and I think it's from a site called GoTime. In comparing the two, it looks like it has more happy hours, detailed info and pics. Nothing wrong with a little competition though. Really like the cab feature...
Posted by Rashad on April 30, 2009 at 4:55 PM · Report this
google phone!
Posted by == on April 30, 2009 at 5:19 PM · Report this
Thank you! This rules. One feature request for the next rev - photo upload to drunk of the week submissions.
Posted by johna on April 30, 2009 at 5:24 PM · Report this
Dear The Stranger,

This is the best thing that's happened to me all month.

Thanks.

Love,

Nick
Posted by lstmnt500 on April 30, 2009 at 7:29 PM · Report this
THIS RULES, thanks!!! =)
Posted by borgboi on April 30, 2009 at 7:34 PM · Report this
Bus Stop isn't listed. Glaring omission? What, are you a bunch of homophobes?! I knew it!
Posted by Eric on April 30, 2009 at 10:00 PM · Report this
The one touch cab tab rules... However I kind of feel like you guys should add Crown Car... We should support our rocker owned local small businesses and they have WAY better customer service than crappy ass yellow and orange.
Posted by Queen of Sleaze on April 30, 2009 at 11:54 PM · Report this
Have to agree with #'s 24, 41 and 42. I prefer the GoTime happy hours app (http://www.gotime.com/mobile) primarily because it's more comprehensive and seems to be a lot more accurate. But nice to see the Stranger come out with one also. It's always nice to have options.
Posted by Random Drunk on May 1, 2009 at 9:11 PM · Report this
Lucky comment #50!!! I think this is so darn cool....except I don't have an iphone. Why do they get to have all the iFun?

Bored at work, waiting for happy hour?
Posted by MakesNooSense on May 4, 2009 at 12:50 PM · Report this
I suggest the cocktail recipe app on your new iPhone. iShot Machine is a very cool cocktail recipe app. It’s a game, mixed drink recipes. It is awesome for an ice breaker at a bar as well, it worked for me a couple times http://www.ishotmachine.com
Posted by Dean on August 24, 2009 at 7:02 AM · Report this
android please :)
Posted by Ryan W on October 12, 2009 at 2:57 PM · Report this
Can we get an android version?
Posted by Victor5000 on May 14, 2011 at 11:12 AM · Report this
two years later, still no android? :(
Posted by downanotch on June 12, 2011 at 2:11 PM · Report this
Any updates on getting an android app?
Posted by BusyB on July 22, 2014 at 3:01 PM · Report this