Monday, January 19, 2009

Who's the President Going to Pardon?

Posted by on Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 9:17 AM

From a reader:

Hey there,

Our office has a pool on whether Bush will give a full pardon to Scooter Libby today. However, I haven't seen any news stories today on whether Bush plans on making pardons this afternoon, or who he'll pardon if he does. I'd love an open thread on the Slog for speculation on last-day pardons. Who do you guys think he'll pardon?

Cheers,
Christin

Good question. Anyone?

madoff
Posted by McG on January 19, 2009 at 9:23 AM · Report this
Oddly, I doubt Libby will get a pardon. I could be wrong but I kinda doubt it.
Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on January 19, 2009 at 9:24 AM · Report this
Ted Stevens.
Posted by You know it's gonna happen on January 19, 2009 at 9:26 AM · Report this
Why would you doubt it? Have you not been paying attention? These guys care not one f*ck what the country thinks of them.
Posted by six shooter on January 19, 2009 at 9:27 AM · Report this
Gonzales. For sure.
Posted by Julie in Chicago (now in Eugene) on January 19, 2009 at 9:30 AM · Report this
Roger Clemens and Jeff Skilling of Enron. Plus I'm guessing he'll give Ken Lay the posthumous pardon even though he wasn't formerly convicted before he kicked it. Texans sticking together.....
Posted by OneTwentyOhNine on January 19, 2009 at 9:32 AM · Report this
Ramos and Compean. The media dropped the ball on this one. 75+ front page NYT stories on Abu and even more on Gitmo.

And these guys are kept in solitary confinement because of the assaults by fellow prisoners.
Posted by D. Rand on January 19, 2009 at 9:34 AM · Report this
And he can't admit he was guilty which one needs to do to get a pardon.

i'll bet that 75% are from texas or were in the s&l swindle
Posted by McG on January 19, 2009 at 9:35 AM · Report this
OJ Simpson
Posted by Mahtli69 on January 19, 2009 at 9:35 AM · Report this
Probably Osama bin Laden, what better way to top off these 8 years?
Posted by Kem on January 19, 2009 at 9:38 AM · Report this
The way I understand it is this: If he pardons Libby, then Libby can be subpoenaed and compelled to testify without the defense of his Fifth Amendment Right against self-incrimination.

That was the beauty of Libby's sentence being commuted. It allowed Libby to duck the consequences, while leaving him in legal jeopardy.

Anyone you pardon is out from under your thumb. Though we've learned in recent days that pardons may be revoked - which seems very screwy. I've learned so much about my government watching it come apart.
Posted by John Galt on January 19, 2009 at 9:40 AM · Report this
McG - I actually said this to my wife yesterday. It would be his final, consummate "fuck you" to the American people, and completely in character.
Posted by My Name Where? on January 19, 2009 at 9:42 AM · Report this
Larry Craig
Posted by Mahtli69 on January 19, 2009 at 9:43 AM · Report this
Himself.
Posted by Ziggity on January 19, 2009 at 9:43 AM · Report this
Armitage leaked the name to Novak- Novak printed the name. They got Libby on a technicality on which dates he said what.

again,

Armitage leaked the name to Novak- Novak printed the name.
Posted by none on January 19, 2009 at 9:46 AM · Report this
Politico has a top ten list with odds for each:

Scooter Libby has the best odds at 1 to 2.

Randy "Duke" Cunningham has the worst at 50 to 1.
Posted by HL on January 19, 2009 at 9:50 AM · Report this
Conrad Black
Posted by Not that it will shut him up on January 19, 2009 at 9:53 AM · Report this
came here to say what @14 said. @14 wins.
Posted by G.W. Dick on January 19, 2009 at 9:54 AM · Report this
Wasn't Libby's sentence communed a few years ago? Maybe I'm thinking of someone else but didn't he get convicted of something (douchebagery perhaps?) and then rather than being pardoned, his prison sentence was communed by Bush but not the monetary fines?
Posted by JoeHalfRack on January 19, 2009 at 10:07 AM · Report this
Looks like he just commuted 2 sentences of former border patrol agents who shot a drug smuggler...
Posted by Em on January 19, 2009 at 10:10 AM · Report this
Just took a look at that Politico article and straightened myself out. Definitely worth a read. Entertaining and infuriating. I can't wait to put all this shit behind us; even if it's just for one day.
Posted by JoeHalfRack on January 19, 2009 at 10:11 AM · Report this
Paddy cake,
Paddy cake
Bakers man...

POW!
Posted by Except From Pardon My Sarong on January 19, 2009 at 10:11 AM · Report this
He will pardon everyone he can. It'll be pages long. And not released until 11:59 am.
Posted by Chicago Fan on January 19, 2009 at 10:14 AM · Report this
I was shocked to learn that not only cn a President pardon themselves, but he can pardon himself and others for crimes not charged.

The most we can hope for is that Bush and Cheney get dragged out of their cars when traveling outside the country and tried by the Hague for war crimes. I would hope our country's protest would be feeble at best.
Posted by elswinger on January 19, 2009 at 10:15 AM · Report this
@24 sorta kinda. I just watched that "tanks in my memories - fuck you george bush" video and it just pissed me off and I felt all dirty, used and abused again. I don't want that right now. I think it would be good for our country to have a slow, thoughtful investigation on the previous 8 years but put it on hold for a little bit. Let's live in the now for a little bit and focus on how to get our nation back on track while we have the political will and once we're back on our feet and the wounds have healed a little, then we can focus on bringing this greed and selfishness and disregard for our fellow countrymen and human beings to justice. There's my rant
Posted by JoeHalfRack on January 19, 2009 at 10:30 AM · Report this
Turns out he just pardoned some asshole border guards: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/20/washin…
Posted by Chip on January 19, 2009 at 11:38 AM · Report this
@7 FTW.
Posted by Fifty-Two-Eighty on January 19, 2009 at 11:43 AM · Report this
The good news is there are no statute of limitations on war crimes. We can get them back.
Posted by elswinger on January 19, 2009 at 12:15 PM · Report this
My money is on Jeff Skilling
Posted by biju on January 19, 2009 at 12:59 PM · Report this
He recently pardoned a turkey. Maybe now he'll order the release of the unfortunate cockroaches who have to share a cell with Lord Crossdresser Conrad Black.
Posted by Fintan on January 20, 2009 at 4:43 AM · Report this