Thursday, January 8, 2009

Is Tintin Gay?

Posted by on Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 1:21 PM

crocgai.jpg

"Of course," says the Times Online.

Billions of blue blistering barnacles, isn't it staring us in the face? Sometimes a thing's so obvious it's hard to see where the debate could start. What debate can there be when the evidence is so overwhelmingly one-way? A callow, androgynous blonde-quiffed youth in funny trousers and a scarf moving into the country mansion of his best friend, a middle-aged sailor? A sweet-faced lad devoted to a fluffy white toy terrier, whose other closest pals are an inseparable couple of detectives in bowler hats, and whose only serious female friend is an opera diva...

. . . And you're telling me Tintin isn't gay?

Be warned: Parts of the article have that weird, high-spirited British stereotyping of gay men that goes on over there: "His Belgian creator, Hergé, whose only and enigmatic reference to Tintin's origins was to describe him as having recently come out of the Boy Scouts." But it's an important point, since we're on the verge of having a (completely unnecessary, in my opinion) Tintin movie. Hopefully, they won't try to wedge a female love interest in there, just to appeal to some fictional publicist-invented demographic of women who won't go to movies unless there's kissin' and woo-pitchin' wedged in there somewhere. It's probably better to leave Tintin without any kind of romance, but a little bit of sassy innuendo never hurt anyone.

If I was Captain Haddock, I'd be on the phone with my lawyer.
Posted by Niro DeRobert on January 8, 2009 at 1:27 PM · Report this
No, he isn't. But he is Belgian.
Posted by Will in Seattle on January 8, 2009 at 1:37 PM · Report this
Holy stereotypes, Batman!
Posted by Greg on January 8, 2009 at 1:40 PM · Report this
He's kinda racist, which (of course) makes him gay.
Posted by CommonKnowledge on January 8, 2009 at 1:42 PM · Report this
Professor Calculus, maybe. Thompson and Thomson, certainly. Bianca Castafiore too, I imagine.

But Tintin is asexual, a lover of justice, and Haddock loves the bottle. That's it, that's all.
Posted by tomasyalba on January 8, 2009 at 1:44 PM · Report this
I agree. Tintin needs no love interest, of any gender. He should just be Tintin.
Posted by Abby on January 8, 2009 at 1:44 PM · Report this
Man, I can't stop staring at that V in TinTin's pants and salivating.
Posted by yummy on January 8, 2009 at 2:00 PM · Report this
The author of the article, Matthew Parris, is gay himself and a former MP. He famously and accidentally outed the cabinet minister Peter Mandelson live on TV ten years ago (it was an open secret within parliament and the media, it was just us proles who weren't supposed to know).
Posted by David on January 8, 2009 at 2:06 PM · Report this
Sweet Christ, this sounds like Mr. Poe!
Posted by laterite on January 8, 2009 at 2:07 PM · Report this
Clay Aiken should play Tintin in a future feature film.
Posted by Judith on January 8, 2009 at 2:18 PM · Report this
Look, he was created by a guy who thought that a young reporter shouldn't be interested in sex until he could afford to get married. Herge was in the Catholic League and since Tintin wasn't a priest, he just wasn't ready for the lifelong committment of marriage.

(based on seeing many exhibits in Europe about this)
Posted by Will in Seattle on January 8, 2009 at 3:04 PM · Report this
Will, why does it not surprise me that you are a Tintin expert?
Posted by Jude Fawley on January 8, 2009 at 4:18 PM · Report this
Am I the only one that doesn't have the slightest clue who the fuck Tintin is?

Posted by Mike in MO on January 8, 2009 at 5:06 PM · Report this
Tin Tin is not gay. As as children's comic he was deliberately portrayed as asexual.
I think the case here are few trying to rhetroactively assign a role model where non was provided.
Did Bugs Bunny's drag routines mean anything? I doubt it.
Mickey Mouse though...was a ahead of his time.
Posted by Zander on January 8, 2009 at 6:25 PM · Report this
Croc represent!
Posted by Sirkowski on January 9, 2009 at 12:25 AM · Report this
I didnt know that tintin liked having SEX!

Posted by reema on February 16, 2012 at 11:06 PM · Report this
well i belive that tintin is gay i mean he looks like he loves the captin?
Posted by reema on February 16, 2012 at 11:10 PM · Report this
Come on guys, Herge was a closet case himself and it is highly speculated that he had sexual relations with his Chinese friend. Tintin being gay would be no surprise... tintin and haddock dying for eachother in Tibet... Romeo and Juliet much?
I rest my case!

GAY!
Nothing wrong with it. I think he and Haddock make a great couple...or Tintin with Chang which would be age appropriate.
Posted by lovechild37 on March 19, 2013 at 10:47 PM · Report this