Thursday, November 15, 2012

Something for Everyone: Raymond Chandler Fans, Steampunks, and Poetry Lovers

Posted by on Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 3:17 PM

8158486391.jpeg
1. The first and most important reading to know about tonight is the Eileen Myles/Maggie Nelson reading I have Suggested. But there are plenty of other options for you tonight, too.

2. At Vermillion, Gabriel Blackwell and Richard Chiem will read. Blackwell is a Portland author whose noirish, Chandleresque metafictional novel is titled Shadow Man: A Biography of Lewis Miles Archer. Chiem is a local author whose new short story collection is titled You Private Person. Here's an interview with Chiem for you to read.

3. Speaking of local authors, Cherie Priest, who lived in Seattle for a couple glorious years, comes back to University Book Store to debut her new Clockwork Century novel, The Inexplicables, tonight. It's set in a Seattle beset by zombies and dirigibles, as many of her Clockwork Century books have been, and it throws in a Sasquatch or two for good measure.

4. All the other upcoming readings can be found right here.

i was waiting for a post about jack gilbert...
Posted by jayme on November 15, 2012 at 3:22 PM · Report this
rejemy 2
I'm not going to be fooled by Cherie Priest again.
Posted by rejemy on November 15, 2012 at 3:29 PM · Report this
@2 Agreed. I'm glad she's carved out a successful living for her self but... holy gods balls are those novels AWFUL. At least the one I read was.
Posted by tkc on November 15, 2012 at 4:41 PM · Report this
lizlemon 4
@2 Seriously.
Posted by lizlemon on November 15, 2012 at 5:08 PM · Report this
sheiler 5
Adrian McKinty will be reading from his crime novel The Cold Cold Ground on Nov 17 at noon at the Seattle Mystery Bookstore.

Eileen Myles was one of my teachers, and I agree that she's talented, original, fussy. I think you'd think the same of McKinty. In a good way.
Posted by sheiler http://sheilerama.com on November 15, 2012 at 6:01 PM · Report this
Philly 6
I like her books!
Posted by Philly on November 15, 2012 at 6:55 PM · Report this
dwightmoodyforgetsthings 7
I'm with @6, Cherie Priest is pretty good.
Posted by dwightmoodyforgetsthings http://www.reddit.com/r/spaceclop on November 15, 2012 at 7:23 PM · Report this
Sacre bleu!

I'm with 6 & 7. Boneshaker, and Dreadnaught were enthralling, and Clementine was ok. I've still not gotten around to Ganymede and I'm excited for The Inexplicables.
Posted by ultrasuedecushion on November 15, 2012 at 8:44 PM · Report this
I am really enjoying "Inexplicables", it starts off a little slow and the protagonist isn't very nice, but it heats up fast. In fact, I think I'll turn off my computer and go finish it now.
Posted by Schweighsr on November 17, 2012 at 7:54 AM · Report this