Thursday, November 15, 2012

It Wasn't Just the Gay Vote that Was Decisive

Posted by on Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Micah Cohen:

While President Obama’s lopsided support among Latino and other minority voters has been a focus of postelection analysis, the overwhelming support he received from another growing demographic group—Americans who identify as gay, lesbian or bisexual—has received much less attention. But the backing Mr. Obama received from gay voters also has a claim on having been decisive. Mitt Romney and Mr. Obama won roughly an equal number of votes among straight voters nationwide, exit polls showed. And, a new study argues, Mr. Romney appears to have won a narrow victory among straight voters in the swing states of Ohio and Florida. Mr. Obama’s more than three-to-one edge in exit polls among the 5 percent of voters who identified as gay, lesbian or bisexual was more than enough to give him the ultimate advantage, according to the study, by Gary J. Gates of the Williams Institute at the U.C.L.A. School of Law, in conjunction with Gallup. The results are consistent with earlier research on the size and political beliefs of gay voters.

Obama's support for LGBT equality didn't just win him our votes. Romney's opposition to LGBT equality cost him the votes of an as-yet-to-be-determined percentage of the straight vote. The straight parents, children, neighbors, and friends of many LGBT people straights who might have voted for Romney wound up voting for Obama instead.

LGBT voters punch above their weight. MANOI, GOP, MANOI.*

* MANOI = "make a note of it."

Not Nate Silver. Micah Cohen.
Posted by minderbender on November 15, 2012 at 2:06 PM · Report this
internet_jen 2
You know how in college some girls will get drunk and kiss their friends for fun, well I'm so into dudes I once even drunkenly slurred "I've never been bi enough to be drunk". But keeping full-on marriage from LGBT lovebirds makes no sense to me. Also I wasn't raised with religion.
Posted by internet_jen on November 15, 2012 at 2:22 PM · Report this
each acronym gets clunkier, or EAGC.
Posted by EGOT on November 15, 2012 at 2:26 PM · Report this
Pope Peabrain 4
The good news just keeps coming.
Posted by Pope Peabrain on November 15, 2012 at 2:45 PM · Report this
So what's your guess.

1. Will the GOP pursue the path of insanity (defined as doing the same thing over and over again and hoping for a different result) until the money runs out.

2. Give up the pretense of moderation, and become something like George Wallace's AIP.

3. Give up the pretense of extremism, and become something like an elite gentlemen's club of rich dudes like Romney.

4. Fungigate into 3, 4 or more parties (tea party, gentlemen's club, aip, ron paulians), each with a much narrower agenda and memberbase who will edge into the now centrist Democrat Party at each and every edge.
Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://_ on November 15, 2012 at 3:05 PM · Report this
Douthat, who had a tense BloggingHeads discussion with Dan, thinks it's time for the GOP to cave on gay marriage (and pot).
Posted by minderbender on November 15, 2012 at 3:33 PM · Report this
My Other Car's the Tardis 7
I'd just like to go on the record as saying that as a gay Asian American who voted for Obama, I have yet to receive my special gifts which Romney claims were offered to my demographic. I will most definitely *not* be voting for Obama in 2016 as a result.
Posted by My Other Car's the Tardis on November 15, 2012 at 4:17 PM · Report this
For myself, I was promised brunch with a shirtless Mario Lopez. It would have been a shirtless Channing Tatum, but I couldn't afford the extra $1000.
Posted by Pope Buck I on November 15, 2012 at 4:29 PM · Report this
COMTE 9
@7:

I believe Romney & Ryan would argue your "gift" will be arriving on December 9th.

What I can't understand is how Obama received ONLY 75% of the LGBT vote - are there really that many closeted, self-loathing members of the Log Cabin Republicans?
Posted by COMTE on November 15, 2012 at 4:55 PM · Report this
Posted by minderbender on November 15, 2012 at 4:55 PM · Report this
No, the Republicans will just lie better.

Like Romney, when he was running for Governor of Mass.

They'll find some bobo with no experience (hence, no record), and he'll lie moderately between his teeth.
Posted by judybrowni on November 15, 2012 at 4:55 PM · Report this
Cut off my comment. First lady of New York, yes yes . . . not California.
Posted by minderbender on November 15, 2012 at 4:56 PM · Report this
Some Old Nobodaddy Logged In 13
Besides the numbers, there's also motivation. More non-straight, non-white, non-grey haired bigots voted, and they voted for Obama. They were motivated because they saw Romney for what he was: a privileged white religious nut who wouldn't think twice about sending America back to the 18th C., except w/ more income disparity.
Posted by Some Old Nobodaddy Logged In on November 15, 2012 at 5:07 PM · Report this
For the GOP to change, they will need a new generation of moderates to get voter dollars, and win primaries. And beat out the Fundies, who have more money. That's a tall challenge! The William Welds have been driven out!
Posted by pat L on November 15, 2012 at 5:55 PM · Report this
[The straight parents, children, neighbors, and friends of many LGBT people straights who might have voted for Romney wound up voting for Obama instead.]

I'm not so sure; perhaps Mr Savage is just so grateful he's overreaching. Even if we bumped up a few notches on the priority scale, I don't see us as being what tipped potential Romney voters. Of course, if some of our allies were to choose to portray themselves as potential Romney voters, I doubt it could hurt, but I don't think very many true allies gave Mr R serious consideration.
Posted by vennominon on November 15, 2012 at 7:21 PM · Report this
You GO, you 5%!
Posted by fotoeve on November 16, 2012 at 3:04 AM · Report this
Something for nothing: I worked with this one straight guy years ago (and he's still a good friend of mine, unsurprisingly) at this place where he was in the minority, male-wise and straight-wise, and we all had a lot of time on our hands (the pay was commensurate with that, unfortunately). Anyway, I don't remember what the conversation was, but at one point he said, "Look. God knows I don't know what it's like to be a lesbian - and I've got one trapped INSIDE this body." And, he didn't mean he was trans - he meant, however sloppily, that he didn't see himself as different from any of his gay coworkers, which to some people would be offensive. To me, it was like, OK, you can be my friend now.
Posted by houseoftrash on December 17, 2012 at 3:54 AM · Report this