Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Who Do You Think Is Going to Win the Governor's Race?

Posted by on Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 11:04 AM

All day today on cable news, pundits are predicting what's going to happen in the presidential race. They don't know what's going to happen. They're blowhards and they're doing what they do best: breathing so hard they hyperventilate (fact!). And in Washington State, other blowhards are making other blowhard-y predictions about the governor's race. But they don't know, either. They're just making shit up. Recent polls show gutless Democrat Jay Inslee up by one point to three points over Republican and serial-fuzzy-math-user Republican Rob McKenna, but none can match a Slog poll.

In this Slog poll, you aren't making shit up. You know what's going to happen. Your vote with others synthesizes the prescience of many pundits—you're like the Nate Silver of aggregating America's consciousness—into one, big legally binding prediction!

So...

I WANT Inslee to win but I'm terrified because I think McKenna is going to win. I'm so sick of this election and want it to be over but I'm just so scared of what's going to happen...
Posted by Sally Anderson on November 6, 2012 at 11:11 AM · Report this
Cascadian 2
Inslee, but it won't be called until Friday.
Posted by Cascadian on November 6, 2012 at 11:29 AM · Report this
Kindof a self selecting (liberal) poll, no?
Posted by fuddy on November 6, 2012 at 11:31 AM · Report this
Will in Seattle 4
Ron Paul
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on November 6, 2012 at 11:32 AM · Report this
Dominic Holden 5
@3) Blasphemy.
Posted by Dominic Holden on November 6, 2012 at 11:34 AM · Report this
Cato the Younger Younger 6
I want Inslee to win but I am bracing myself for McKenna.
Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on November 6, 2012 at 11:40 AM · Report this
@3: Perhaps, but one of the great things about being a liberal is that we're allowed to believe in an external reality that doesn't conform to our wishful thinking. As @1 demonstrates, it's possible to want one thing but to believe another will happen.

Conservatives used to be that way, but at some point they decided that reality was a liberal conspiracy and retreated to just believing their own dogma.
Posted by also on November 6, 2012 at 11:44 AM · Report this
Catherwood 8
@1 speaks my mind, though maybe a little more, ah, vigorously re the gov race -- I'm worried, but not apocalyptically so, about that particular race. It's the totality of the ballot that worries me.
Posted by Catherwood on November 6, 2012 at 12:09 PM · Report this
beatgrl 9
It won't be Dino Rossi. Phwew!
Posted by beatgrl on November 6, 2012 at 12:22 PM · Report this
@7: The results (85-15) tend to contradict you. Seems to be a lot of "wishful thinking" going on.
Posted by bigyaz on November 6, 2012 at 12:23 PM · Report this
ScrawnyKayaker 11
Choice 3 should have been Enteroctopus dofleini.
Posted by ScrawnyKayaker on November 6, 2012 at 12:23 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 12
Cthulhu ftw!
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on November 6, 2012 at 12:34 PM · Report this
Daddy Love 13
The fairly simple answer is: Inslee, because he's ahead.

Posted by Daddy Love on November 6, 2012 at 12:53 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 14
Pretty sure a UW grad will win tonite.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on November 6, 2012 at 12:56 PM · Report this
Friday? You optimist. I expect multiple recounts, results around Thanksgiving.
Posted by originalcinner on November 6, 2012 at 12:57 PM · Report this
Max Solomon 16
Pessimist. McKenna wins. I know 2 split voters: Obama/McKenna. They can't be reasoned with.
Posted by Max Solomon on November 6, 2012 at 1:07 PM · Report this
Even as bad as McKenna would be, Beatgrl @9 is right: either one is lightyears ahead of Dino Rossi.
Posted by Garth B on November 6, 2012 at 1:59 PM · Report this
OutInBumF 18
@9- Finally! Something to be happy about when McKenna wins..... As much as I'd love to believe this SLOG poll, I think 3's got it right.
Posted by OutInBumF on November 6, 2012 at 3:43 PM · Report this