Tuesday, November 6, 2012

The Non-Ice-Skating at Cal Anderson Park Is Non-Happening This Year

Posted by on Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 1:21 PM

WE TRIED HARD TO HAVE FUN Charles, Bethany, plastic, lube.
  • WE TRIED HARD TO HAVE FUN Charles, Bethany, plastic, lube.

Last year's $100,000 "ice rink" made of plastic coated in mysterious lube will not return to Cal Anderson Park this holiday season, according to Capitol Hill Seattle blog.

We chronicled the debacle of the Holiday Lube Board by trying skating repeatedly on the thing. But it had an unacceptably high bullshit quotient—it was actually referred to as an "ice rink" and cost more than any other actual ice rink in the city—in a neighborhood where it is really best to try to keep the additions-to-bullshit to a minimum, considering we've already got an upscale restaurant called Barrio.

Fistique 1
That photo is LETHALLY ADORABLE. Lucky I voted earlier because I am now dead.
Posted by Fistique on November 6, 2012 at 1:24 PM · Report this
Catalina Vel-DuRay 2
Love your outfit, Bethany dear. Very kicky!
Posted by Catalina Vel-DuRay http://www.danlangdon.com on November 6, 2012 at 1:25 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 3
See, this is why Fremont rules.

You come up with red tape to do something.

We just do it.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on November 6, 2012 at 1:25 PM · Report this
More, I Say! 4
Yep, definite cutest picture of the day award.
Posted by More, I Say! on November 6, 2012 at 1:40 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 5
Cutest pic was Monica's pic of her new baby with a signed ballot envelope next to it ...
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on November 6, 2012 at 1:45 PM · Report this
juanalonso 6
FYI: Barrio means neighborhood in Spanish. Americans have given the word a derogatory connotation to refer to the "undesirable" Latino areas, so cut it out, your whiteness is showing!
Posted by juanalonso http://www.juanalonso.info on November 6, 2012 at 1:51 PM · Report this
Zebes 7
I love that picture so much. Can you guys post it again around Christmas?
Posted by Zebes http://www.badrap.org/rescue/index.html on November 6, 2012 at 2:01 PM · Report this
I'll echo @6. Barrio = neighborhood. Not rich neighborhood, not poor neighborhood, just neighborhood.
Posted by carnivorous chicken on November 6, 2012 at 2:03 PM · Report this
I felt bad for Hunters over that poor decrepit abomination of a rink. At least they tried. Logistically it couldn't have been easy.

I wonder if you could set one up next to SSCC?
Posted by tkc on November 6, 2012 at 2:10 PM · Report this
Who's that funny looking dude on the left?

Oops! Sorry --- I keep telling him over and over again --- never use the plastic lube....use the liquid type.

Sorry again ....
Posted by sgt_doom on November 6, 2012 at 2:17 PM · Report this
My whiteness is always showing. Thanks for calling it out -- seriously. Much appreciated. But do you not get the gentrification vibe from that place in a way that makes the use of that title less than recuperative?
Posted by Jen Graves on November 6, 2012 at 2:18 PM · Report this
@8: I see what you're saying. But my point is sort of that this is not a neutral space in a neutral (or middle-class neighborhood). This is an upscale restaurant in a wealthy neighborhood. Does the title really feel recuperative? As juanalonso shares in a continued conversation over on Facebook, "I know what you're saying. I was there once and asked why all the Mexicans were in the kitchen and all the waitstaff was white. What?!"
Posted by Jen Graves on November 6, 2012 at 2:30 PM · Report this
After years and years of reading Slog, I just wanted to register real quick to tell you that "Holiday Lube Board" has made my year.
Posted by Blue People on November 6, 2012 at 2:56 PM · Report this
@12 I'm not sure what you mean by "does the title feel recuperative." Do you mean is the name of the restaurant an attempt to restore something?
I haven't been to the restaurant since I'm not living in Seattle now, but I guess I'd prefer that I had Mexicans cooking me Mexican food than someone else. Did you ever go to the Mexican place on the Ave (near where Hot Lips used to be) after a Chinese family bought it and tried to keep it Mexican? Terrible. It's not to say anyone can't learn to cook any cuisine, but it's a safer bet. I guess Juan's point is based on the assumption that waitstaff are paid more? Or perhaps white Capitol Hill residents would rather have white servers?
Posted by carnivorous chicken on November 6, 2012 at 3:02 PM · Report this
Fnarf 15
@6, @8, in Latin America, it means "neighborhood". In the USA, it has attached to it a predominantly Chicano meaning: "Chicano neighborhood". There's some New York Boricua flavor there too, but the adoption of "barrio" in the US, especially IN ENGLISH, is predominantly an LA Chicano, i.e., Mexican-American, thing.

Words have contexts, you know. Just like "white" isn't just the color of a sheet of paper. The word "hood" is also "just neighborhood" but it has specific connotations; and like "barrio" is rarely used even by residents to refer to their specific neighborhood, even in Spanish, but generically, to denote the predominantly Hispanic or Latino communities in the area, or other ethnic groups; barrio chino, barrio judío, barrio gabacho.

In Mexico, you won't hear the word "barrio" much at all, at least, not to refer to a specific neighborhood by name; the name for a municipal neighborhood is "colonia". Not just in Mexico City either. You wouldn't ask "what barrio are you from?"; you'd ask which colonia.

Frankly "Chicano neighborhood" is a much funnier way to describe Capitol Hill (or a restaurant there) than "poor neighborhood" would be.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on November 6, 2012 at 3:20 PM · Report this
I'm with Fnarf... and here's a thing on Barrio (and Poquitos, and a newer, better place):

Posted by Bethany Jean Clement on November 6, 2012 at 3:35 PM · Report this
biffp 17
I'm with @6 and @8. I associate Barrio with neighborhood, and obviously the owners do as well. Unless you use the Alanis Morissette irony method, Barrio is not ironic.
Posted by biffp on November 6, 2012 at 3:58 PM · Report this
Reverse Polarity 18
Adorable pic.

I got all exited last year when I heard the announcement of an ice rink. I grew up in a colder climate, and ice skating was an integral part of my childhood. So, major nostalgia and all that. I still own a pair of hockey skates that I still drag out and use once every few years.

But when I heard this ice rink was an "ice rink" made of plastic, I just wanted to hurl. I was actually angry at the moron that came up with this horrible idea for tricking me into thinking this might bring back fond childhood memories. It was a terrible, terrible idea. An idea that should never ever be repeated. Ever.
Posted by Reverse Polarity on November 6, 2012 at 4:08 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 19
In reality, WA is already an Hispanic state, but you insulated people on Mercer Island and Capitol Hill don't realize it yet.

What I love is all the Hispanic restaurant workers in Fremont at the Thai, Indian, and other restaurants.

As to plastic, if it's post-consumer recycled plastic, what's the problem?
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on November 6, 2012 at 4:21 PM · Report this
"WE TRIED HARD TO HAVE FUN Charles, Bethany, plastic, lube"

Looking forward to the Savage Love letter-of-the-day that elucidates this haikuish sex-failure lament.
Posted by jimp31 on November 6, 2012 at 4:30 PM · Report this
juanalonso 21
BTW, folks, I know Jen and I did not take her remarks in a negative way AT ALL nor should my response be taken that way either. Sometimes my sense of humor doesn't show as much as it should. We have a lot more serious stuff to deal with tonight!!!
Posted by juanalonso http://www.juanalonso.info on November 6, 2012 at 5:42 PM · Report this