Friday, June 1, 2012

George Zimmerman Going Back to Jail

Posted by on Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Courts don't like being lied to about secret stashes of cash and second passports:

A judge revoked bond today for George Zimmerman, the neighborhood watch captain charged with second-degree murder in the shooting death of a Florida teenager in his gated community, and ordered him to surrender himself in 48 hours. Prosecutors had filed a motion today to revoke his bond, accusing Zimmerman of "deceiving" the court about his finances and his possession of a second passport, which he apparently acquired two weeks after the shooting.... In recordings of conversations released today during a court hearing, Zimmerman and his wife, Shelly Zimmerman, cryptically talk about his second passport in a safety deposit box they shared.

Baconcat 1
He lied in self-defense!
Posted by Baconcat on June 1, 2012 at 3:57 PM · Report this
Urgutha Forka 2
This guy watches WAY too much TV.
Posted by Urgutha Forka on June 1, 2012 at 4:05 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 3
He must think he's a politician.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on June 1, 2012 at 4:18 PM · Report this
TVDinner 4
Wait a minute. You can get a second passport? How did I not know that?!
Posted by TVDinner http:// on June 1, 2012 at 4:53 PM · Report this
lark 5
@4TYD,
If one works for the Federal Gov., one can be issued another US passport. I had two US passports simultaneously, my own and the one the Gov. issued when I served in the Peace Corps. I'm dubious Zimmerman is an RPCV but he might have had an American passport and a Peruvian one since his mother is Peruvian.

@Dan,
I was surprised by that. Still, I don't think a jury will convict him.
Posted by lark on June 1, 2012 at 5:13 PM · Report this
Zebes 6
They ordered him to surrender? Bad choice. They should have told him to NOT surrender, and mentioned offhand that the police were all suspicious-looking, some of them even black. He'd have run right to the station then. (Then again, after arriving, he'd hit his head on the counter, smash some windows and claim self-defense, but they would at least have him in hand.)
Posted by Zebes http://www.badrap.org/rescue/index.html on June 1, 2012 at 5:32 PM · Report this
john t 7
@4 I read somewhere else that he had reported his passport stolen in 2004, and got a replacement copy. So he had either misplaced it, thought it was stolen, and ordered a new passport, but when he found the old one again he didn't destroy it like he should have; or he intentionally defrauded the State Department to get a second passport illegally. Oops. This might damage his credibility when it's his turn to explain his side of the story to the jury.
Posted by john t on June 1, 2012 at 5:48 PM · Report this
Frankly, if I were under arrest, I'd want to have a second passport and some cash stashed away. I wouldn't USE them, but I'd be happy I had them. I wouldn't lie about them either, but I wouldn't bring it up unasked.
Posted by DRF on June 1, 2012 at 6:05 PM · Report this
TVDinner 9
Jesus, I was a fucking PCV and I only used the passport the gubmint gave me. Now I feel like a total chump. George Zimmerman is smarter than I am. Fuck.
Posted by TVDinner http:// on June 1, 2012 at 7:37 PM · Report this
They must have known about the $200K+ contributions he'd been sent via his website, since that news was in the media.
Posted by sarah70 on June 1, 2012 at 8:20 PM · Report this
@5 If a jury doesn't convict Zimmerman, the city of Sanford better call the National Guard because I can imagine some serious rage in the streets among people of color over a non AA guy beating the rap for shooting a AA kid to death with a bag of candy.
Posted by neo-realist on June 1, 2012 at 10:00 PM · Report this
Chefgirl 12
Vintage Michael Moore, from the late 90s:

At 2:11, watch him on a street corner in Harlem, spray painting residents candy bars "safety orange" for them in the wake of a Florida teen being gunned down for the "gun" that was his 3 Musketeers.
Posted by Chefgirl on June 1, 2012 at 11:43 PM · Report this
why is danny posting about this?

was Z humping the passport or something?

what is the pervert angle that would entice danny to give a shit?
Posted by help us out here, fanboys..... on June 2, 2012 at 4:31 AM · Report this
One just does not stalk, shoot and kill an unarmed individual. That is unacceptable behavior! Guns and religion always bring trouble.
Posted by charliebickle on June 2, 2012 at 9:03 AM · Report this
What's with the people shilling for Zimmerman here. He applied for the second passport after the shooting, falsely stating that he lost his passport. He also conspired with his wife about this on the prison phone. No good explination here.
Posted by wl on June 2, 2012 at 11:39 AM · Report this
lark 16
@11NR,
Indeed, they (City of Sanford) shall call out the National Guard. Mr. Zimmerman will not be convicted.

Look, I wanted Zimmerman arrested and tried. What he did BEFORE killing Martin was unnecessary and despicable. My point is the prosecution doesn't have a case (it's too small of a space to spell out here on SLOG). Defense advocate, Alan Dershowitz believes Zimmerman should be released. The case has gotten too much attention and the lines are already drawn for an impartial jury to render a fair verdict in FL. That's not a pro-Zimmerman argument. I just believe he is entitled to a vigorous defense against the charges. And, I believe he'll be found not guilty. The possibility of a riot MUST not be a reason for the jury to render a guilty verdict.

That's not justice. That's fear and absurdity.
Posted by lark on June 2, 2012 at 12:52 PM · Report this
I am a firm believer in our "innocent until proven guilty" criminal justice system, therefore, I refuse to jump on the band wagon that thinks GZ is guilty and racist, that is, until it is proven otherwise, but the more this dumb ass does shit, the less of a reason I have to give the benefit of the doubt. Seriously, this guy can't stop fucking up. Idiot.
Posted by scratchmaster joe on June 2, 2012 at 3:08 PM · Report this
At least he is not a flight risk.
Posted by Learned Hand on June 2, 2012 at 4:42 PM · Report this
After following someone around (whether that is stalking I don't know), getting in a situation where one is afraid for one's life (fists, maybe lying on the grass, seeming to outweigh the othe and needing lethall selr by 60 or 80 lb and chosing lethal self-defense... that's bad. A court of law may not be able to convict him, the reactionary way juries are chosen and things being in the hands of . But some want to make an example of Zimmerman.
Tho some belong to the NRA and think, others are not thinking. And believbe Mr Z's getting off given them a freer hand. Mr Z will suffer from this and another eventually, thinking he has a freer hand, will be put away for perpetuity

We live in a land of laws. In the long run this kind of happy, moronic cowboy stuff wil not be tolerated.
Posted by Gershwin on June 3, 2012 at 5:43 PM · Report this
@17, I don't care whether he's a racist or not. I actually don't think he's more or less racist than the average bear. And I totally believe in the concept of "innocent until proven guilty" - but I can't see how any rational person would find him innocent. What I DO think is that Zimmerman's got a desperate need to be a hero, and that's what led to him shooting Trayvon Martin. And I think he's just plain guilty based on the fact that he was an armed private citizen and confronted a person who was not initially threatening him. When you carry, there is a responsibility on you to behave in a nonconfrontational manner - the people I know who carry do not go around approaching strangers. Trayvon Martin was a fairly streetwise kid, it sounds like to me - he knew what it looked like when someone was carrying ("concealed" is never really "concealed" to someone who knows what to look for - and that's pretty much anyone with reasonable powers of observation). When Zimmerman approached and followed him, at night in a public area while armed, Trayvon was entirely rational in feeling threatened. Basically any steps that Trayvon took from there were justifiable in the name of self-defense.
Posted by JrzWrld on June 4, 2012 at 6:20 AM · Report this