Friday, June 1, 2012

Another Hero from Wednesday's Shootings: A Homeless Felon Named Jason Yori

Posted by on Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 4:15 PM

Via the SeattlePI.com:

He had been in Freeway Park and was around the corner from the Town Hall parking lot when he heard a gunshot.

"I ran up to her right away and there was just a massive pool of blood there," said [Jason] Yori, 58, who helped along with other bystanders. "I didn't know anything about her, so I spoke to her as a human being who was in the wrong place at the wrong time."

The Navy veteran said he gave her last rites.

It wasn't the first time Yori had come to the aid of a Seattleite in dire circumstances.

Will in Seattle 1
Thank you for your service, Yori!

Both times!
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on June 1, 2012 at 4:19 PM · Report this
Zebes 2
It's a small mercy that she had someone there with her at the end. I hope it gave her some comfort.
Posted by Zebes http://www.badrap.org/rescue/index.html on June 1, 2012 at 4:30 PM · Report this
"who helped along with other bystanders. "

So only the hobo is a hero? Quick, give him a cookie for doing what most people would do and have the city declare a day for him.
Posted by Hobo Hilton on June 1, 2012 at 4:55 PM · Report this
Wow! What a strange and sad place to have met like that. You are strong and it shows and we all Thank you for this very brave stance! You are an inspiration to all!
Posted by Scarlet007 on June 1, 2012 at 5:09 PM · Report this
Catalina Vel-DuRay 5
The troll would have run twice as fast upon hearing that shot - just in the opposite direction.

I wonder if I remember enough from my Catholic upbringing to give someone Last Rites. I totally would do it if I could.
Posted by Catalina Vel-DuRay http://www.danlangdon.com on June 1, 2012 at 5:25 PM · Report this
seatackled 6
Like some of the PI's commenters, I'm not crazy about the headline, which pretty much echoes the PI's headline. Might as well have something like, "Fucking asshole does a good thing."

Anyway, the PI has the man's photograph and mentions where he can be found, so I'll slip him a dollar when I see him.
Posted by seatackled on June 1, 2012 at 6:02 PM · Report this
Of what significance is the fact that this guy was convicted of a felony? A felony is not necessarily a serious crime anymore. Most felons did nothing more than commit prohibition violations.
Posted by Phil M http://twitter.com/pmocek on June 1, 2012 at 6:18 PM · Report this
Knowing Jason, Phil M is exactly correct. I'd be very surprised if his conviction(s) is/are not drug related. In which case, so what?
Posted by gnossos on June 1, 2012 at 6:33 PM · Report this
seatackled 9
@8

Yes, the three felonies, according to the article, were for drugs.
Posted by seatackled on June 1, 2012 at 6:43 PM · Report this
I sure hope she wasn't an atheist.
Posted by Erok on June 1, 2012 at 7:45 PM · Report this
@9: guess I should have looked at the article first. But, just as I suspected. Jason's a piece of work for sure, but this doesn't surprise me at all. He's a good egg who bends over backwards to help others. No matter how down and out he is, he keeps talking about a vet center to help homeless vets. Too bad there isn't such a place for him to go to.
Posted by gnossos on June 1, 2012 at 9:20 PM · Report this
John "Jason" Charles Yori is not sober, though he is quite prone to self-aggrandizing.

I would highly recommend fact checking this story. Do police officers regularly employ homeless addicts in crowd control as he stated in this story?

No mention of him here:

Posted by ain't believin on June 1, 2012 at 9:26 PM · Report this
@2 know what would have given her some comfort? not being shot in the head. It's pretty much all bad from there on out.

Posted by what a country! on June 1, 2012 at 9:58 PM · Report this
TVDinner 15
@10: I'm an atheist, and if someone feels inclined to perform last rites at my death, I'll be honored and touched by the gesture. Mind you, not every atheist feels the way I do, but at moments of extreme crisis it's not unreasonable for people to fall into ritual.
Posted by TVDinner http:// on June 1, 2012 at 10:26 PM · Report this
That story of the Good Samaritan that rightwing Christians will hold up high... the same rightwing Christians that treat the homeless as lazy scum... This is *exactly* that story, writ now.

Will the rightwing bangers learn? Of course not, that's impossible...
Posted by K on June 2, 2012 at 1:39 AM · Report this
@15: iawtc. If someone wants to pray for me, go for it. But understand that I will wish you well and luck and all, but won't be praying for you in return.
Posted by K on June 2, 2012 at 1:40 AM · Report this