Monday, April 9, 2012

Education Is Everything

Posted by on Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 8:43 AM

The YBF:

Chicago's Urban Prep Academy (an all-male charter school) just pulled a THREE-PEAT announcing that ALL of their graduating seniors have been accepted into four-year colleges! Get the deets on this fabulous feat inside.....

Some folks have no faith in the educational system, but Urban Prep Academy on Chicago's south side must be doing something right.

Once again, 100% of its 2012 graduating seniors are heading off to college in the fall. And by the way, this school is the only all-Black, all-male public prep school in Chicago!

It also helps that the boys are required to wear uniforms. This business of letting young people express themselves with clothes at school (capitalism exploiting youthful instability and incoherence) is a big mistake. Childhood must begin in one indistinguishable mass, a massive common, a communism (free parental and state care) that is gradually individuated. The individual is the end, not the start of an education. Also, boys look handsome in uniforms.
600full-the-history-boys-photo.jpeg
  • The History Boys

Foghorn Leghorn 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvPpAPIIZ… We don't need Mudedecation... :)
Posted by Foghorn Leghorn on April 9, 2012 at 8:57 AM · Report this
Mischa Vainburg 2
I grew up in the British school system (primary school, uniforms) and the American system (secondary school, no uniforms). I wholeheartedly agree that school uniforms are a good idea. Differentiation by wealth, "coolness" and precociousness was glaring in the American schools; in England, where uniforms were required, not so much. As fun as it was, I'll never be convinced that wearing knee-high vinyl platform boots and fishnet stockings to school at age 13 was beneficial for my education.
Posted by Mischa Vainburg http://squidbasedink.wordpress.com on April 9, 2012 at 9:18 AM · Report this
Charles,

I can see many reasons why having students don the vestments of education would have a positive impact that would have nothing to do with uniformity.

That said, there may be something to your theory for these students, who needed to be liberated from their individual stories of academic under achievement and failure, then forged into students collectively and then given the opportunity to flourish as such.

Still, it may be that much of the power is simply in the name, "prep school". I have met many middle and high school students who simply could not fathom that their particular educational paths might include college or university and that they should be prepared for that.

For myself, having attended both single sex and coeducational high schools, I would say that separating the activities of adolescent courting from the places of academia allowed me to focus on both in their respective spheres, in ways that increased my success greatly.
Posted by Schooling Might Be Communal, Education Is Individual on April 9, 2012 at 9:31 AM · Report this
As a teacher in a struggling DC school, the uniform requirements minimizes the distraction of students' different affiliations (gangs and less-problematic "neighborhood posses") on their ability to focus in the classroom. And since 95% of my kids live in poverty, it is a real relief to the students to would have to wear the same shirt every day anyway because of money...it's far less noticeable to their peers.
Posted by KTM on April 9, 2012 at 9:39 AM · Report this
Gern Blanston 5
They look like a teenage ska band. They need more hats though.
Posted by Gern Blanston on April 9, 2012 at 10:04 AM · Report this
lark 6
Good Morning Charles,
I agree with you. Uniforms and gender specific classrooms work. At my prep, all-boys school, I had to wear buttoned-shirt, tie and slacks with dress shoes. There was less distraction with vanity and of the opposite sex.

BTW, I read something rather surprising. There is only one all-male Prep School, O'Dea Prep (Seattle) in the state of Washington.
Posted by lark on April 9, 2012 at 10:06 AM · Report this
Riiiiigggghhhttt, except among predatory crapitalism, will they ever be able to get a job to pay back all those securitized student loans??????

Another story spiked by that Great Farce, Mike Wallace, RIH --- rest in hell, zero integrity clown.
Posted by sgt_doom on April 9, 2012 at 10:13 AM · Report this
Kariglitter 8
This picture is not from the article. Even your excerpt states that this is an all-male, all-black school. Hmmm. I agree that young men should wear uniforms.
Posted by Kariglitter on April 9, 2012 at 10:18 AM · Report this
Cato the Younger Younger 9
OHHHHHH!!!! Russell Tovey in the BACK!!!! YUMMY!!!!
Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on April 9, 2012 at 10:23 AM · Report this
@6, As a gay, deeply closeted-and-passing-for-straight high school boy, I would have loved an all-male classroom. But all-male would separate the too-gay-too-hide-it gay boys from their generally female support systems.
Posted by Subdued Excitement on April 9, 2012 at 10:27 AM · Report this
ScrawnyKayaker 11
Those ties almost gave me a seizure. Who asked for that pattern?

All in favor of uniforms, but NO TIES!!! Stupidest item of "clothing" ever invented. What is it for? We have buttons to hold our collars closed now, thanks. Or tiny magnets.
Posted by ScrawnyKayaker on April 9, 2012 at 10:30 AM · Report this
Simone 12
Instead of ties how about Bow Ties?

I would have loved to wear a school uniform as long as there is a school crest of some kind on the jacket/sweater/etc.
Posted by Simone on April 9, 2012 at 10:39 AM · Report this
While I was in high school, there was an active discussion on tightening up the dress code or implementing uniforms.

I couldn't understand who a uniform could possibly help. It certainly wouldn't be anything but officious harassment for all us kids in the AP classes, and I certainly couldn't see it changing the habits of my less-accademic friends. As a nerdy, socially awkward kid, my greatest concern was that a uniform would make me a target for abuse in the wider community.

I came to the conclusion that folks in power implement uniforms because they get off on **visual evidence** of their power - much like we see in footage of North Korean pageants.
Posted by opticsdoug on April 9, 2012 at 10:44 AM · Report this
Cato the Younger Younger 14
@12, Bow Ties, sweater/jackets and saddle back shoes!!! Ohhhh and argyle socks!!!
Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on April 9, 2012 at 10:44 AM · Report this
keshmeshi 15
@14,

Most school uniforms in the U.S. are polo shirts and khakis (at best). Nice uniforms cost money.
Posted by keshmeshi on April 9, 2012 at 10:56 AM · Report this
venomlash 16
Pat Riley owns the trademark on "three-peat", sorry.
Posted by venomlash on April 9, 2012 at 11:19 AM · Report this
CBSeattle 17
I wore a uniform and let me assure you that there is plenty of room for individual expression even in a black suit - your picture could have been from my school. The guy in the red shoes would have been expelled. I had no problem wearing a uniform, but the fact that it was an all boys school was damaging to most of the boys socialization.
Posted by CBSeattle http://www.yousaidit.com on April 9, 2012 at 11:22 AM · Report this
dwightmoodyforgetsthings 18
100% college acceptance rate achieved by getting only kids with motivated parents and kicking out kids who couldn't make the cut. This is another bit of charter school bullshit.
Posted by dwightmoodyforgetsthings http://www.reddit.com/r/spaceclop on April 9, 2012 at 11:23 AM · Report this
Supreme Ruler Of The Universe 19

Now boys, when you leave the hall to graduate, you'll be riding in the courtesy bus.

Your driver, Mr. Zimmerman, will...

Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://www.you-read-it-here-first.com on April 9, 2012 at 11:29 AM · Report this
I agree with Charles Mudede on something.

Education is everything.

I mean, look what a lack of education to did to the halfwit Mudede, if you don't believe me!
Posted by Seattleblues on April 9, 2012 at 11:45 AM · Report this
That red-shoe motherfucker is a puma tool sent to school to inculcate the masses in the ways of cool and separate them from their parents hard earned cash.

I'm just playin' Uniforms are a great idea for kids. Just think about how much more clearly these kids could articulate themselves without the "gear" getting in the way.

Posted by jnonymous on April 9, 2012 at 11:47 AM · Report this
@18 Exactly.

Reread it and see what it's really saying: "all of their graduating seniors have been accepted into four-year colleges."

First, to get in their parents need to apply. That's already going to weed out a lot of kids with parents lacking motivation. Then, the application process is via lottery, so those who do get in have "won" something. There's going to be a lot of pressure from their parents because of this, because it's a granted opportunity instead of an earned one, meaning a similar opportunity can't be found elsewhere.

As it's a preparatory school, the entire program is directed towards getting the kids into college. Those who stop going or flunk aren't graduating, so aren't going to in any way influence their glowing stats on their graduates.

Again, because it's a preparatory school, everything is directed towards college. Meaning that seniors are likely required to have applied to several colleges. So of course all of their graduates have been accepted somewhere. Hell, they might all automatically get into a state university in Illinois.

Now, in four years, tell me how many of those kids have a college degree and then we'll talk about the success rates of the randomly selected via lottery children of motivated parents, who have put their sons through a preparatory school that also happens to be gender segregated and use uniforms.
Posted by Zuulabelle http://www.mellophant.com on April 9, 2012 at 12:29 PM · Report this
CATSPAW666 23
I cant think of a worse punishment than having Charles as a parent.

My uniform would be a T-Shirt that said "Fuck Authority" over a picture of Charles.
Posted by CATSPAW666 on April 9, 2012 at 12:47 PM · Report this
lark 24
@18 & 22,
You make excellent points. The sentence "...ALL of their graduating seniors have been accepted into four-year colleges." is a bit misleading. I was in Chicago (my hometown) when the 1st of the THREE-PEAT was announced a few years ago and thought it an extraordinary achievement for UPA. However, you give excellent reasons to suspect its "success". Still, I consider uniforms and gender segregation in school for adolescent and younger boys very constructive whether a Prep school or not. I agree the verdict may still be out on "charter" schools.
Posted by lark on April 9, 2012 at 1:52 PM · Report this
Also, consider that it's a charter school. They skim off the best and most motivated students (and their motivated parents). Then they "counsel out" any bad behavior and don't provide services for Special Ed students so sorry, they're out as well.

It's easier to do better when you can shape the studentbody.

Posted by westello on April 9, 2012 at 2:02 PM · Report this
Greg 26
If gender segregated classes work, they should be offered for core subjects like science and math. However, I don't think kids should be kept in all-boys / all-girls classes for the full day.

As for uniforms, I hated the idea when I was in high school, but now I realize it's probably fine. The one thing I would say against it is that depending on the school, uniforms could be expensive. Public schools shouldn't have expensive uniforms because, unlike private schools, they can't automatically weed out the low-income students.

Finally, other commenters have already noted most of the big asterisks that should be applied to CUPA's statistics. It would be more honest for them to report the graduation and college acceptance rates versus original enrollment.
Posted by Greg on April 9, 2012 at 6:26 PM · Report this