Saturday, April 7, 2012

Docking Sequence

Posted by on Sat, Apr 7, 2012 at 3:00 PM

Captured a few days ago: An unmanned cargo ship approaching and docking the International Space Station.

ATV-docking-825x650.jpeg

Sometimes, space is the place.

Cephalodude 1
That is one of the most beautiful images I have ever seen.
Posted by Cephalodude on April 7, 2012 at 3:46 PM · Report this
Cato the Younger Younger 2
Space fucking ROX!!!!!
Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on April 7, 2012 at 4:17 PM · Report this
Take my love, take my land,
Take me where I cannot stand.
I don't care, I'm still free
You can't take the sky from me...
Posted by Fangdoc on April 7, 2012 at 4:49 PM · Report this
is it sad that when I first saw "docking sequence" that I thought this was a post by dan about two guys docking?
Posted by apres_moi on April 7, 2012 at 4:50 PM · Report this
bearseatbeats 5
That is super cool. It's the sort of image I would expect to see in some sci-fi movie epic. I think some of the shots taken by the various space agencies can be a bit sterile (though, perhaps scientifically important, etc.), but this one is definitely of the sexier variety. I want to be there!
Posted by bearseatbeats on April 7, 2012 at 5:50 PM · Report this
lark 6
Good Evening Charles,
For some strange reason this glorious photo reminds me of a chapter in Arthur C. Clarke's 2001: A Space Odyssey entitled "Stargate".

Excellent picture.
Posted by lark on April 7, 2012 at 6:43 PM · Report this
mikethehammer 7
Beautiful photo, though can't believe the article (incredibly brief, though it was) didn't bother to mention which land mass below we're looking over... Anyone?
Posted by mikethehammer on April 7, 2012 at 8:51 PM · Report this
Karlheinz Arschbomber 8
Cool-ass photo, Charles. Did not expect to be able to see those little side-thrusters firing. Nice that they illuminate them. Those crafty Russkis...
Posted by Karlheinz Arschbomber http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arschbombe on April 8, 2012 at 12:00 AM · Report this
Aurora Erratic 9
Wow, that is a great photo. Thanks.
Posted by Aurora Erratic http://www.finemesspottery.com on April 8, 2012 at 5:20 AM · Report this
Finding this photo makes scavenging SLOG a worthwhile endeavour.
Posted by daveb604 on April 8, 2012 at 9:11 AM · Report this
Sandiai 11
It looks like Eastern Europe. Maybe Romania/Bulgaria and the edge of the Black Sea. Perhaps the photographer from the ISS could chime in.

@3, nice reference.