Slog News & Arts

Line Out

Music & Nightlife

« Finally! Some Good Seahawks Ne... | Re: "Our children need a mothe... »

Thursday, October 9, 2008

The Miracles Never Cease

posted by on October 9 at 16:47 PM

Yesterday I was moved to admire of Paris Fucking Hilton. Today, I’m movedóby the video belowóto appreciate my previous arch enemy P. Diddy.

If the pattern holds, tomorrow I will fall madly in love with Dane Cook.

RSS icon Comments

Fuck him.

Posted by Nr. Ooe | October 9, 2008 4:59 PM

Oh god, then on to Heidi and whats-his-face. I think you need a moratorium on whatever the hell you're doing that's causing this.

Posted by Mom | October 9, 2008 5:32 PM

"That one"?

What the fuck is up with people making a big deal out of this? "That one" doesn't mean anything. It means, "that guy, right there." That's all. There's nothing to it.

Fuck sake.

Posted by Judah | October 9, 2008 5:38 PM

says a whiteboy...

Posted by gnossos | October 9, 2008 5:48 PM

Judah, you ignorant slut.

McSame KNOWS Obama's name, he KNOWS he has a name, he's even been caught on tape on numerous occasions USING Obama's name.

Calling him "that one" in the virtual presence of literally tens of millions of his fellow citizens, as if Obama were nothing more than a slab of meat in a butcher's display case, ("I'll take that one, the big one, right there!") is such a blatantly aggressive form of dehumanization as to make ones head swim.

Anyone who can't figure that out is either naively oblivious to thee point of imbecility, or else willfully obtuse to the point of stupefaction, take your pick.

Posted by COMTE | October 9, 2008 5:53 PM

Dave, I recently developed a new affinity for Diddy, as well. He's an asshole, but a fairly lovable and interesting one, for sure.

Plus, you know his parties are awesome.

Posted by kerri harrop | October 9, 2008 6:14 PM

I'm voting for "that One" and the comment didn't bother me too much. It was just a part of McCain's refusal to acknowledge that there was another candidate right there in the hall with him. Same old McSame.

What offended *ME* was McCain's answer to the guy who asked the second question. Did no one else catch this? A guy named Andy asked the first question, and was answered, then another man stood up and asked his question - it was something about how their policies would effect average Americans. McCain's reply was that under his plan "average Americans, like Andy over there" would do better than under Obama.

Why didn't he say "average Americans like you"? Or "average Americans like you and Andy"? Was it because Andy was white and the guy who asked the second question was black? That was certainly my take. We know that Barack Obama isn't "one of us" and "doesn't think about American the way you and I do", because he's black.

I was deeply offended and I am white. I don't understand why so many are jumping on the 'That One' remark and not the 'average American' thing.

Posted by Schweighsr | October 9, 2008 6:26 PM

"That One" was offensive and diminishing towards Obama, but I am not convinced that it was offensive and diminishing because it was racist. Seems like no matter who his opponent was, the remark would have been inappropriate.

Posted by Julie in Chicago | October 9, 2008 6:44 PM

@7 I did notice that as a matter of fact and forgot about it until just now. I think that was probably senility kicking in, but kind of strange regardless.

@ 8 I agree with you. I'm not sure "that one" was meant as a racist remark. That was my first thought but I think we all tend to jump to those conclusions a little too quickly. It was however disrespectful however you look at it.

Posted by Craig | October 9, 2008 6:54 PM

I hate McCain as much as any slogger, but the 'that one' is just a stupid diss, which as the indignant Diddy states is totally inappropriate for a Harvard-trained lawyer.

Actually, it's inappropriate for the garbage man.

McCain is a fucking asshole.
And as my older brother explains,
"Assholes need no reasons"

Posted by Karlheinz Arschbomber | October 9, 2008 8:50 PM

McCain said: "Do you know *who* voted for it?"

So he should have answered who did: Obama.

If McCain had said "Do you know *which* Senator for it?" then saying "that one" would have fit better as a response.

P.Diddy-wise, I prefered his initial Sarah Palin vblog.

Posted by stinkbug | October 9, 2008 9:06 PM

Puff just doesn't look the same when he's not in a shiny leather jacket and a Yankee hat, saying "Uh huh. Yeah." in the background.

Posted by Brian | October 9, 2008 10:13 PM

I was thinking about the "that one" comment today and it reminded me of the word "ese" in Spanish. Ese means "that" and "usually indicates disapproval when used to refer to a person" (http://www.wordreference.com/es/en/translation.asp?spen=ese). I don't think McCain meant "that one" in a racist sense, but his comment was disrespectful and further displayed his ignorance.

Posted by CQ | October 9, 2008 10:27 PM

I don't think McCain used "that one" in a racist sense, but he was definitely being disrespectful and displaying his ignorance.

Posted by CQ | October 9, 2008 10:30 PM

This election has made me like Sarah Silverman, so the wonders will never cease.

I kind of hope that Dane Cook isn't next, though. Diddy and Silverman are one thing, but Dane Cook? I shudder.

(Also, the "that one" comment was ignorant, but we all know this)

Posted by scotlanded | October 9, 2008 10:46 PM

We'll know it's the end of days if Axl makes you love him.

And judging only by the tops of the walls and the ceiling, Diddy's house looks a lot more understated than I would expect for a big star.

Posted by genevieve | October 10, 2008 8:58 AM