Slog: News & Arts

RSS icon Comments on Early Voting In Washington

Fuckin sweet. I can stop on the way home and I'll be able to vote before my absentee wife.

Posted by Mike in Renton | October 17, 2008 3:54 PM

I kind of want to do this so I can tape the ballot stub around my wrist, drink heavily until I pass out, and wake up sometime on Nov. 5-6th.

Posted by Greg | October 17, 2008 4:10 PM

I strongly encourage Greg's suggestion. I only wish to add the advice that one should set aside a fifth of bourbon just in case, upon waking, one finds themselves in Palin's America.

Posted by Aaron Pickus | October 17, 2008 4:15 PM

Just dropped my ballot in the mail! Another vote for Obama/Biden, Gregoire, and Prop 1 Real Transit!

Posted by DC | October 17, 2008 4:20 PM

I hope they're not Diebold voting machines. Then it would be a McCain only voting location.

Posted by jarbot | October 17, 2008 4:24 PM

with "regular office hours" being "weekdays 8:30am - 4:30pm," "Saturday from 9:30am - 3:00pm" are not extended hours

just saying.

Posted by luna.sea | October 17, 2008 4:31 PM

Renton?

FUCK RENTON. The biggest city (and duh, transit hub) in the county should have a place to vote.

Posted by StC | October 17, 2008 5:09 PM

Already voted. Dropped it off before work at the U Dist location.

WOOHOO!

Now to go out and buy guns and ammo, just in case.

Posted by Will in Seattle | October 17, 2008 5:34 PM

I would really like to take advantage of this - but if I don't vote at my precinct, don't I have to fill out a provisional ballot? And doesn't that increase the likelihood, just a little, that my ballot may be challenged and possibly not counted?

Just checking.

Posted by paranoid | October 17, 2008 5:38 PM

The husband's absentee ballot came yesterday. Mine hasn't arrived. For 10 years, they have arrived together. Voter fraud!!! OK, maybe I should give it a few more days...man, I am tense...need to go breathe into a paper bag now.

Posted by threnody | October 17, 2008 5:45 PM

as much as i would like to vote like right this instant.. i'm gonna wait until november 4th and shuffle to my precinct with the the
theme from roots playing in my head. and then when i deposit my vote and the music swells i will fall on the floor sobbing and singing that old civil rights hymn 'ain't gonna let nobody turn me around' ..
and then i'm gonna take a bus ( and sit right up in the front, thank you very much..) to vancouver bc where i'm gonna hole up in a hotel for two days and get drunker than captain willard.

Posted by reverend dr dj riz | October 17, 2008 6:32 PM

Luna.sea, the extended hours refer to the fact that they are open this Saturday, a day on which they are normally closed.

Posted by Aaron Pickus | October 17, 2008 7:54 PM

Oooh, yuck. It turns out that the early voting is done with touch screens.

@5 may be right.

Posted by Mike in Renton | October 18, 2008 9:39 AM

re:@5
Expect it to look something like this: http://www.wvgazette.com/News/200810170676

Posted by skeptic | October 18, 2008 10:46 AM

Since you mentioned early voting in NC, this link might be useful.

It seems voting a "straight" ticket will not register as a vote for president. (NM has a similar problem but voting straight AND filling in the President choice creates an over vote invalidating the ballot)

WA does not have a straight ticket option if I remember correctly.

Perhaps the stranger should send and unpaid intern to Renton to verify that touch screens are the only option for EV.

Posted by Ken | October 22, 2008 6:47 AM