Slog: News & Arts

RSS icon Comments on Re: Gregoire Tops Rossi

Rossi's official signs saying "Don't Let Seattle Steal Another Election" - posted all along I-5 between Olympia and Vancouver - should put a dent in that "calm, soothing, and folksy" persona. In a just world, anyway.

Posted by cdc | September 24, 2008 1:10 PM

Maybe I'm not to sure what the GOP Party [sic] is, but if Valentino Rossi can ride a 240 horsepower motorcycle to victory at Indianapolis Motor Speedway and date the likes of Mandala Tyde and Elisabetta Canalis, maybe he's man enough to whip Washington's government into shape.

Posted by elenchos | September 24, 2008 1:15 PM

Gregoire literally deserves to lose. She is horrid on the campaign trail. And like Gary Locke and Mike Lowry before her, she is defensive rather than presenting a compelling case for progressive policies. No wonder people prefer Dino Rossi. God help us all.

Posted by wow | September 24, 2008 1:24 PM

@3, I tend to agree. And honestly, loosing would be actually good for the Democrats in this state. Being knocked off their pedestal will force the party to actually start to pay attention to the ENTIRE state and not just Seattle.

The only thing is that Rossi is such a fucking prick. But if he wins, it is Gregoire's fault. She has been lackluster as a govenor at best. And Locke and Lowry were more exciting.

Posted by Andrew | September 24, 2008 1:39 PM

She really is an awful campaigner, as she was the first time around. How the hell did she win the flippin' 2004 primary, anyway? She sure as shit didn't have my vote. Maybe we're better rid of her for a term and coming up with an actual winner next time around. Not that I don't hope she gets elected, but if she loses that's what I'll tell myself.

Posted by Levislade | September 24, 2008 1:39 PM

One more item and then I will shut up on slog for good. If you won by only a few votes in an election wouldn't you go out of your way to make yourself into an effective leader? Wouldn't you want to spearhead ideas that would make both sides of the state swoon for you?

What the FUCK has she been doing for 4 years?!?!?! At least Locke chased bats out of the mansion!!!!

Posted by Andrew | September 24, 2008 1:43 PM

Dino Rossi prefers the GOP Party, meaning he prefers the Grand Old Party Party. It's so stupid it's funny. There should be a little Homer Simpson logo between "Party" and "Party."

Posted by wow | September 24, 2008 2:26 PM

Gergoire's going to lose. And it's not an "Eastern Washington rubes" vs "Seattle sophisticates" thing. It's a "Not doing jack shit to campaign effectively against the opponent whom you barely beat the first time around" thing.

Posted by laterite | September 24, 2008 2:53 PM

I'm never been a big Gregoire fan. But I watched the debate last Saturday and thought she was spectacularly good--knowledgeable, clear, articulate, well-mannered, hard-hitting but fair, in complete command on each question. By contrast, Rossi was spectacularly bad: stage-managed, dumb, ill-informed, unresponsive, petulant, unpleasant and tricky, like a rookie high school debater. All of his answers seemed canned. He did not once address Gregoire by name or to her face. He stared at the camera and referred repeatedly to the "Incumbent," as though he was alone in the room. "World-weary" is indeed the right word for his persona in this debate. I don't get it at all. I saw him smile once, a thin quick one when the debate was over. Otherwise he was completely unappealing and dour, and I don't see how farming for a living would have changed my perceptions. He may win yet, and Gregoire may indeed be a lackluster candidate overall, but I'd like to meet anyone who switched from Gregoire to Rossi as a result of that debate. On second thought, Erica, would you meet that person for me?

Posted by fixo | September 24, 2008 3:11 PM

Greedy Old People

Posted by tiddlywinks | September 24, 2008 3:30 PM

In June, another Elway poll revealed that fully 25 percent of likely voters didn’t know that “GOP” meant Republican, and seven percent thought it referred to the Democratic Party.

Dear Lord, are people really that stupid?

Posted by Greg | September 24, 2008 3:44 PM

I don't understand why the Washington State Dem. Commitee isn't all over this with 10 second ads on radio and TV: "Dino Rossi is a Republican and he's trying to hide it. What are you ashamed of Dino? Why are you trying to fool people by using the term GOP? Is that honest?"

They really need to get their shit together.

Posted by inkweary | September 24, 2008 4:07 PM

At #1 -- those signs aren't official Rossi signs, those are from BIAW.

Maybe Seattlites are upset by that idea, but it is felt strongly by many people around the State that the last election wasn't as clean as it should have been.

Posted by Hovno | September 24, 2008 9:56 PM