Slog News & Arts

Line Out

Music & Nightlife

« This Weekend at the Movies | The Gub Debate »

Friday, September 26, 2008

Debate Night Riders

posted by on September 26 at 16:35 PM

Richard Green, Imperial Wizard of the Mississippi White Knights of the Ku Klux Klan, says that the KKK will be attending to tonight’s presidential debate at the University of Mississippi. But rest easy, Obama supporters! Green promises that the Klan isn’t coming to make “a big hoopla” or anything.

The Klan will, however, have pamphlets and membership applications on hand for any audience members who happen to share the Klansmen’s views. Some examples of those views: Obama’s election “could be the destruction of America,” says Greene, who states categorically that he would not vote for a black candidate.

More here.

RSS icon Comments

Yeah. Um. I don't think I would be okay with that.

Posted by Mr. Poe | September 26, 2008 4:44 PM

Un-fucking-believable! The Klan still exists? People are willing to own up to being members of it? I mean, I knew that racism isn't gone (contra Colbert ;) but I had figured that the most overt forms of it were.

Posted by Astonished blue state native | September 26, 2008 4:50 PM

Ah, nothing like America. Freedom to be a complete dick to anyone, just because.

I wonder if they still steal white sheets or if they buy them now.

Posted by Leslie N. | September 26, 2008 4:50 PM

Someone in the KKK "states categorically that he would not vote for a black candidate." I havcen't been this shocked since someone in the American Nazi Party said he would not vote for Lieberman. KKK not being willing to vote for someone black? A Nazi unwilling to vote for a Jew? I'm shocked!!!

Posted by jane doe | September 26, 2008 5:00 PM

Umm. How many black students are there at Ole Miss these days? I reckon this could get ugly.

Posted by east coaster | September 26, 2008 5:06 PM

I'm actually very worried about Obama's safety there if the Klan are there and in plain clothes. I hate the KKK with a passion.

Posted by apres_moi | September 26, 2008 5:15 PM

KKK? Republicans from Mississippi? How can you tell the difference?

Posted by Sad Comment | September 26, 2008 5:19 PM

@3 "I wonder if they still steal white sheets or if they buy them now."

They probably wait until the Martin Luther King Day White Sale and stock up.

Posted by rob | September 26, 2008 8:11 PM

The KKK has membeship applications? like, um, you mean, white people have to apply and be vetted? huh.

Posted by Phenics | September 27, 2008 7:59 AM

@9: Yup. They have a form you have to fill out, with questions about your racial background, religious affiliation, belief in the greatness of being white, etc, etc. I think you also have to send a photo now, since they had some pranks back in the day.

Posted by Greg | September 28, 2008 1:40 PM